Page 12 | Margaret Atwood

(568 Posts)
MummBRaaarrrTheEverLeaking Tue 19-Oct-21 14:22:48

twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1450429768067846145?t=8q-A8MlvzZsx6pt4Vu1_LA&s=19

Has retweeted an article from the Toronto Star "why can't we say woman anymore" and bloody hell are they coming for the latest witch burning in the comments!

Ranging from disappointment to the usual sweary abuse. I thought oh how long till the capitulation begins, turns out I didn't have to wait long!

She's following it up with retweets about 'we can say people when it's accurate and inclusive' and then defending the article because the writer isn't "a terf"???

Not really sure what she's trying to achieve here, anyone?

OP’s posts: |
MondayYogurt Sat 23-Oct-21 20:33:16

You can report any tweets directed at her + fword/cword/bword as harassment.

ArabellaScott Sat 23-Oct-21 20:37:27

Ah, I see the movement dedicated to inclusion, acceptance and love has turned on a woman who has fought to help trans people, and the death threats have started.

Beatings will continue until morale improves, no doubt.

allmywhat Sat 23-Oct-21 20:56:21

Just wondering is the Handmaid’s Tale TV show in its final season yet? And was she making much off it in royalties?

Basically is there a chance she was financially incentivised to avoid cancellation and now that constraint is lifted?

Manderleyagain Sat 23-Oct-21 21:08:05

I just reported a tweet, but I'm thinking maybe they should all stay up, to show what it's like.

toomanytrees Sat 23-Oct-21 21:18:55

The good news is that the CBC is allowing comment on this opinion piece on trans issues.

www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opinion-trans-rights-radical-activism-1.6220106

However the article is bemoaning the fact that these "self declared women" are ruining for "transitioned" transwomen (who belong in women's spaces).

It seems the only comments being allowed are laudatory. I pointed out that women cannot tell the difference between self declared transwomen and transitioned transwomen and my comment was rejected.

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus Sat 23-Oct-21 22:15:00

I was wondering how long this idea would take to surface.

twitter.com/ParaN0ier/status/1452011429507309572?s=20

Developing into a whole line of investigation (now bogged down into uncertainty having acknowledged that person could exist:

twitter.com/RealDJCthulhu/status/1451953365735313409?s=20

Advertisement

OldCrone Sat 23-Oct-21 22:46:12

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus

I was wondering how long this idea would take to surface.

twitter.com/ParaN0ier/status/1452011429507309572?s=20

Developing into a whole line of investigation (now bogged down into uncertainty having acknowledged that person could exist:

twitter.com/RealDJCthulhu/status/1451953365735313409?s=20

One of those tweets ends:
it now seems quite believable that this article was actually written by someone with that name. Regardless, she is not representative of the community.

Are trans people all supposed to have the same opinions about everything? Can't this person state their own opinion without being expected to be 'representative of the community'?

ArabellaScott Sat 23-Oct-21 22:47:44

Apostates will be cast out, OldCrone.

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus Sat 23-Oct-21 22:48:16

Can't this person state their own opinion without being expected to be 'representative of the community'?

My [X] is nothing if it's not intersectional cardiganed monolith - I thought that was understood.

Alektopteryx Sat 23-Oct-21 23:26:55

What is actually wrong with these people?

KittenKong Sat 23-Oct-21 23:28:38

And now someone is posting an address asking if she ‘still lives there’ and other threats. Hours ago and it’s still up - multiple reports. Come on twitter, do your job, get this down now.

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus Sat 23-Oct-21 23:31:59

Alektopteryx

What is actually wrong with these people?

Reading those accusations, I wondered if PoMo Cowboy has developed amnesia in re: Jessica Yaniv who has demonstrably showcased racism, misogyny, and anti-several faiths bigotry and all with the assistance of British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal who assisted in the complaints against multiple beauticians.

KittenKong Sat 23-Oct-21 23:35:37

All against women?

LobsterNapkin Sun 24-Oct-21 01:02:41

OMG, Jordan Peterson radicalized Margaret Atwood in the produce isle.

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus Sun 24-Oct-21 01:09:30

LobsterNapkin

Is this a cross between Cluedo and The Crucible?

ErrolTheDragon Sun 24-Oct-21 01:10:39

LobsterNapkin

Covert messages over the veg like in the Handmaid's Tale, maybe?

Gumbomambo Sun 24-Oct-21 03:03:42

She’s full terf. Don’t piss Margaret off.

Gumbomambo Sun 24-Oct-21 03:04:09

Seriously she’s not happy.

Gumbomambo Sun 24-Oct-21 03:11:47

I said she would apologise. Fucking hell. She’s gone Gilead on LGBTQ and stuff. Oh crickey!!!

Gumbomambo Sun 24-Oct-21 03:42:51

It’s moving very fast. She’s basically taking them down tweet by tweet. I’ve never ever seen anything like this. She’s destroying every attack by re tweeting the tweet and pulling it to bits. She’s just quoted RBG. She’s on fire.

FindTheTruth Sun 24-Oct-21 04:35:15

People are suggesting that this author write an essay 😂

FindTheTruth Sun 24-Oct-21 04:42:18

Attwood is linking to this article which says sex is a spectrum "many of us are biological hybrids on a male-female continuum" www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-new-science-of-sex-and-gender/ I'd love to be a fly on the all when a real scientist, Professor Emma Hilton explains the birds and the bees to Margaret Atwood, but alas that's in an alternate universe

LangificusClegasaurous Sun 24-Oct-21 05:19:21

I couldn't see the tweet she was quoting, but I was surprised she said she needs to look up "GC." I hope she does so, soon and thoroughly.

ItsLateHumpty Sun 24-Oct-21 05:40:39

I’d say she’s still on the fence…. I think she sees herself as the only reasonable voice in the room atm

twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1452106388201693188

Tweet - Agreed! Atwood needs to resist the GC mob and support trans people.

Her reply - But I have been doing that for some time. You can look back through my Tweets.

That was an hour ago.

And she re tweeted this 2 hour old tweet;

Margaret E. Atwood Retweeted

Nili Kaplan-Myrth MD PhD @ nilikm 2h
Replying to @ MargaretAtwood
Yes. Human rights for all. Trans activism isn’t a threat to women. Bigotry, discrimination, misogyny, gender-based violence, those are the real issues. We can work together (we must) toward an inclusive, caring, safe society, as cis, trans, non-binary, and gender-queer people

Delphinium20 Sun 24-Oct-21 05:52:42

She's been doxxed...I find this chilling that Twitter didn't take this down immediately. She's an 80 year old woman...what is wrong with these people coming after her like this and putting her life at risk? I hope she has security.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in