Send a card to her at Sussex?

Anything else?

OP’s posts: |
Tedimhoardingrightsosaur Wed 13-Oct-21 16:49:53

Leave the backstabbing union and tell them why

vampofsavannahGA Wed 13-Oct-21 16:55:43

Tedimhoardingrightsosaur

Leave the backstabbing union and tell them why

Intrigued by this one as by her own admission she isn’t even a member of UCU and hasn’t been since 2020?

Donotgogentle Wed 13-Oct-21 16:58:05

I’ve bought 3 copies of her book, it’s brilliant.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 13-Oct-21 16:59:29

Her membership of the union or not isn’t the point. The point is they have produced a completely one sided statement that doesn’t even condemn the harassment. Does it give you much faith they would represent you fairly if you needed them? Dh was on the verge of rejoining and we agreed it would be better to not expect help from them and just be prepared to pay for a lawyer if anything happened.

ghislaine Wed 13-Oct-21 16:59:41

If you are an academic, it would be in protest at their failure to support an academic. Also their characterisation of academic tenure ('employment rights') and academic freedom as things that can be weaponised rather than essential characteristics of the role betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what a union for academics is supposed to be about.

zafferana Wed 13-Oct-21 17:00:13

Thanks for the suggestions. Just bought a copy of her book!

Advertisement

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 13-Oct-21 17:00:37

‘Also their characterisation of academic tenure ('employment rights') and academic freedom as things that can be weaponised rather than essential characteristics of the role betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what a union for academics is supposed to be about.‘

Yes indeed, very much this.

titchy Wed 13-Oct-21 17:01:29

Because a union that represents academic staff should be supportive of university staff exercising freedom of speech, not tacitly supporting the bullying of staff who do so - particularly when a bill requiring universities to encourage not stifle debate is going through parliament.

DisappearingGirl Wed 13-Oct-21 17:02:42

I am a member of UCU and am umming and ahhing about leaving.

I was already a bit fed up about possibly being pushed into strike action again right after the pandemic (there was a massive long strike just before the schools first closed and it was a right pain) but maybe I'm just a crap union member on that front! But the Kathleen Stock thing is pushing me more towards leaving.

I bought her book today. Have been meaning to get it.

Signalbox Wed 13-Oct-21 17:08:15

I was waiting for the paperback but my husband was so incensed when I read him the UCU statement he went out and bought a copy.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 13-Oct-21 17:10:32

I am pleased to see her book is in the top 50 for physical book sales on Amazon (49!) That’s pretty good for an academic book.

Tedimhoardingrightsosaur Wed 13-Oct-21 17:11:13

Intrigued by this one as by her own admission she isn’t even a member of UCU and hasn’t been since 2020?

So what? They have directly threatened her livelihood and that of every other academic by showing that they do not have the back of anyone who wants to exercise their right to speak the truth. They have sided with a masked, violent, cowardly mob, whose actions have resulted in her needing security. FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH.

Tedimhoardingrightsosaur Wed 13-Oct-21 17:17:23

Does anyone have any views on the bill the Govt was putting forward requiring universities to uphold standards of free speech or face penalties? I have not worked within a university, so don't know if this is a recipe for disaster or a good idea in the light of Prof Stock, Prof Todd and Raquel Rosario Sanchez. Maybe this is the time to write to MPs if it is in the pipeline and will support GC academics?

Imnobody4 Wed 13-Oct-21 17:25:06

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/4373792-Statement-of-solidarity-with-Prof-Kathleen-Stock
Sign this petition if you are or have been at a university.

docs.google.com/document/d/11ZNAyfkeaPPzLd5PyEvM2NTV4SBphOWr-ueofTrtLu4/edit?usp=sharing

Tedimhoardingrightsosaur Wed 13-Oct-21 17:32:21

Book purchased, petition signed

EmilieDuChatelet Wed 13-Oct-21 17:41:52

I have sent a postcard with a message of support to her university address. I want her to know and I want Sussex to know that she is supported. Our taxes, my taxes, pay for academic research, and this is an important issue for politics at present. It needs to be checked, discussed, analysed, reasoned and argued about.

Also, I have ordered her book today. Fingers crossed she gets a good sum from each copy sold.

JaninaDuszejko Wed 13-Oct-21 18:36:32

Book purchased from Blackwells since if they have lots of sales they'll maybe put it on prominent display in their branches in University towns. Will send her a card in support.

PeriChristmas Thu 14-Oct-21 06:55:50

Tedimhoardingrightsosaur

*Intrigued by this one as by her own admission she isn’t even a member of UCU and hasn’t been since 2020?*

So what? They have directly threatened her livelihood and that of every other academic by showing that they do not have the back of anyone who wants to exercise their right to speak the truth. They have sided with a masked, violent, cowardly mob, whose actions have resulted in her needing security. FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH.

This 100%! 😤🤬

YourMummyIsGC Thu 14-Oct-21 11:05:38

If you send letters of support, send them to Prof. Stock herself, to the Vice Chancellor at University level, but also to her School (she is in Media, Arts and Humanities). Sussex is organised into various Schools, and it is the School leadership that manages education. Contact details are all online.

BigGreen Thu 14-Oct-21 21:17:20

I'm also considering leaving UCU. I'm fuming about their email. A Union should conduct themselves professionally, with regard for due process. The letter was very duplicitous. If has definitely shaken my faith in them. I also don't want to strike again.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in