Books to buy

(27 Posts)
ChiefInspectorParker Tue 20-Jul-21 08:02:16

I ordered Helen Joyce’s book after reading David Aaronovitch’s review, then Abigail Shrier’s book, and this morning I’ve ordered the first Robert Galbraith.

I’m changing my policy of ordering second-hand books where possible to support these authors (not that JKR needs financial support but I still want to support her!)

I’ve got Julie Bindel’s new book on order too.

What other books should I be buying?

OP’s posts: |
Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 20-Jul-21 08:04:31

Good idea for a thread! I've got a lot of reading to catch up with. Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez is on my list.

OhHolyJesus Tue 20-Jul-21 08:48:18

Anything from Spinifex press.

But I second Invisible Women.

I have recently bought what I thought were feminist books but turned out to be libfem pink fluff. So disappointing. I wouldn't bother with Emma Barnett but I'm tempted by Dr Jessica Taylor.

Placemarking for recommendations.

Abhannmor Tue 20-Jul-21 09:12:22

Slightly off topic - but I'm ordering some copies of Helen Joyce and was wondering who to send them to. Eg I'm going to give a copy to the local secondary school. Should I give it to the head or maybe the civics teacher ( or whatever they call that now) ?

DaisiesandButtercups Tue 20-Jul-21 09:38:27

Jane Harris - Sugar Money and other works

Milli Hill - Give birth like a feminist for all feminists not just those who are thinking of giving birth or soon to give birth.

Sarah Pederson - The politicisation of mumsnet

Kathleen Stock - Material Girls and other works

Selina Todd - the People and other works

Stella O’Malley - Cotton Wool Kids

Audre Lorde - Your silence will not protect you and other works

Hadley Freeman- House of Glass

Germaine Greer- the whole woman

For children anything by Rowling, Onjali Rauf Gillian Philips and Milli Hill’s my period

For knitting and crochet the official Harry Potter knitting/crochet books

RoyalCorgi Tue 20-Jul-21 09:41:51

I'd second Jane Harris, who's a great writer - I loved her book The Observations.

Amanda Craig is another novelist who's been cancelled - she was removed as a judge for a Mslexia competition for speaking out in support of JK Rowling.

House of Glass by Hadley Freeman is an excellent read.

OvaHere Tue 20-Jul-21 09:54:15

Simon Edge has a fiction book out which is a satirical take on some modern happenings we're all familiar with.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/4298863-The-End-Of-The-World-Is-Flat

Advertisement

OvaHere Tue 20-Jul-21 10:02:32

Susan and Marcus Evans' book about Gender Dysphoria is out now. It's meant as a clinical guide for professionals so possibly of interest to anyone working with children and/or teens.

www.amazon.co.uk/Gender-Dysphoria-Therapeutic-Children-Adolescents/dp/1912691787?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Also sold in Waterstones.

0ttoline Tue 20-Jul-21 10:55:53

For kids, anything by Rachel Rooney. She has written picture books for younger children, and poetry collections for older ones.

www.waterstones.com/author/rachel-rooney/529109

FlyPassed Tue 20-Jul-21 12:36:05

For understanding of polarised social discourse, i recommend The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

To understand generational attitudinal shifts, i recommend The Coddling of the American Mind also by Haidt and

iGen by Jean Twenge (american, so not completely transferable but some interesting insights).

To understand how gender identity theory gained a foothold in medicine; As Nature Made Him. The story of David Reimer and what Dr John Money did to him, and the medical profession.

For fun, Identity Crisis by Ben Elton and the whole Robert Galbraith series.

GingerBeverage Tue 20-Jul-21 13:15:49

For how social media is shaping our lives.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/ten-arguments-for-deleting-your-social-media-accounts-right-now/jaron-lanier/9781529112405

BeansMeansBeans Tue 20-Jul-21 13:36:32

I've wanted to read Sex Changes: A Memoir of Marriage, Gender, and Moving On
by Christine Benvenuto for ages. Don't have much money currently but when I do...

YouSetTheTone Wed 21-Jul-21 07:22:54

Maz Evans is a children’s author who had a rough time on Twitter earlier this year for supporting Onjali Rauf, and my DS enjoyed her ‘Who let the Gods Out’ book/ series.

You can order Rachel Rooney’s wonderful ‘My Body Is Me’ book for young children via Transgender Trend website. RR is published by mainstream publishers for other books but this one only available through the TT website (I think). It’s a joyful celebration of our bodies and how clever they are and how we should look after them. My DC adore looking at the pictures and joining in with the rhymes. I’ve ordered a few as future gifts and for my nursery.

NCwhatsmynameagain Wed 21-Jul-21 07:28:23

Great thread. Would love to be in a feminist book club all these look fascinating!

ISaySteadyOn Wed 21-Jul-21 07:34:43

Thanks for this thread. I have been wondering about new books.

NecessaryScene Wed 21-Jul-21 07:57:45

Linda Blade - Unsporting

SnoopyLights Wed 21-Jul-21 08:28:01

I've also got Julie Bindel's new book on order, and bought The Pimping of Prostitution as well.

2 + 2 = 5: How The Transgender Craze is Redefining Reality by Katie Roche - doesn't seem to be well known but it is good, and it would be good for explaining to other people why this issue is more than 'being kind' or 'needing to pee'.

When Harry Became Sally by Ryan T Anderson - I had the hardest time finding a copy of this once Amazon refused to sell it / host others to sell it. WH Smiths faffed about but Waterstones delivered in 10 days.

I agree with the poster who said anything by Spinifex Press. They are having a hard time in Australia I believe with some shops refusing to stock them, but every book I've had from them has been good. They published Transgender Body Politics by Heather Brunskell-Evans and it is an interesting read. I've also bought the one they published about Surrogacy and that is quite a thought-provoking read.

Sheila Jeffreys books are good. I've bought Audre Lorde and Andrea Dworkin recently, and I do have a book by Dr Jessica Taylor who someone mentioned upthread.

Unsporting by Linda Blade - she is a sports coach who is not happy about the current situation with women's sports and men.

One I haven't started yet, The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Jonathan Haidt.

I've also been interested in comparisons of the way GC women and feminists are being treated to events such as McCarthyism in America, so I've recently bought Reds by Ted Morgan and The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

Amanda Craig, as someone else has recommended. I will never by another book by the author who got her removed from the Mslexia panel.

And I think Robert Webb recently faced off someone who was trying to drag him into the debate after he was critical of Mermaids, and pink news seem to be gunning for him, so I've bought How Not To Be A Boy and Come Again.

I could go on and on but I've just realised I'm half an hour late for work (thank god for Flexi time), and worse, my tea is going cold grin

IvyTwines2 Wed 21-Jul-21 08:57:09

For the long view on historical crazes, cults, crusades and persecutions, Norman Cohn's series beginning with The Pursuit of the Millennium are classics.

FlyPassed Wed 21-Jul-21 10:16:54

@SnoopyLights I loved Webb's book. I listened to the audio version because I'm a huge Peep Show fan.

I also recommend The Descent of Man by Grayson Perry. It's only short, but is an interesting exploration of masculinity

SnoopyLights Wed 21-Jul-21 11:32:36

FlyPassed

*@SnoopyLights* I loved Webb's book. I listened to the audio version because I'm a huge Peep Show fan.

I also recommend The Descent of Man by Grayson Perry. It's only short, but is an interesting exploration of masculinity

He is very good, I hadn't thought about audio versions, probably because I was in Waterstones when I bought them, rather than ordering online

Oddly enough, I bought the Grayson Perry book at the same time. I'd just finished Portrait of the Artist as a Young Girl when I bought the Webb books and so he was also on my mind as I was shopping.

Thanks to this thread, I've just ordered two copies of My Body Is Me by Rachel Rooney. I'll keep one and pass the other one along.

NonnyMouse1337 Wed 21-Jul-21 11:35:59

I have not read this book, so I don't know what it's like, but it has been on my list of things to buy for a while.

Dr Az Hakeem
TRANS: Exploring Gender Identity and Gender Dysphoria

FlyPassed Wed 21-Jul-21 14:52:11

@SnoopyLights it was £3 in the audible sale, so i snapped it up. The paperback had been in my 'to read' pile for ages smile

Immunetypegoblin Wed 21-Jul-21 14:55:47

I don't recommend Unwell Women by Elinor... something beginning with C! It has a very cis-woman intro, then delves into the many insults levelled against female bodies without the slightest degree of irony hmm

CatherinaJTV Wed 21-Jul-21 14:56:22

Mona Eltahawi's "7 necessary sins for women"
Ben Barres' "Autobiography of a Transgender Scientist", also for a fabulous foreword by Nancy Hopkins.

ChiefInspectorParker Thu 22-Jul-21 09:57:14

Wow, great suggestions, thank you.

I’m really enjoying Helen Joyce’s Trans. It’s well written and very readable. I think I’ll send copies to a few people - it’s a real wake-up call in terms of how the definitions and parameters have changed.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in