If you ever feel a bit down...

(15 Posts)
Thelnebriati Fri 28-May-21 16:39:05

... just remember what it takes to hold women back.

OP’s posts: |
Thelnebriati Fri 28-May-21 16:40:33

An entire culture is dedicated to holding you down. Imagine what you could do with those resources.

EmpressWitchDoesntBurn Fri 28-May-21 16:45:02

And how bloody far we’ve come. If it wasn’t for women fighting back, the GRA reforms would have gone through with nobody noticing and Stonewall would still be viewed as a credible gay rights organisation.

Thelnebriati Fri 28-May-21 16:47:35

IKR! Its like watching people march off a cliff and announce how wrong everyone else is for not following.

thebloodykneeagain Fri 28-May-21 17:12:26

Thank you for this reminder. I lurk, but read it all (can’t be the only one?).
I am in awe of the magnificent women who are fighting back on every platform, and am grateful. I will do what I can, when I can, because I am more furious than down now, most of the time.

FindTheTruth Fri 28-May-21 17:44:06

A good way of looking at it OP. It's like the suffragettes said:

"The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls. Every truth we see is ours to give the world, not to keep for ourselves alone, for in so doing we cheat humanity out of their rights and check our own development." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

MrsOvertonsWindow Fri 28-May-21 17:51:13

That's a moving quote FindTheTruth
At times it does seem insurmountable odds are stacked against women - and then I look at all the changes that have already happened because women spoke out and I get re energised.

When sleeping women wake, mountains move is my favourite quote at the moment as that is what I see all around me.

Advertisement

Truthlikeness Fri 28-May-21 18:44:55

When being taught about the suffragettes as kids, I think many of us assumed we would have been active in that movement. Its been somewhat sobering (though in retrospect, perhaps not surprising) to realise we're rather less vocal than we might have imagined, due to the need to retain jobs and friendships.

WinterTrees Fri 28-May-21 19:26:26

Truthlikeness

When being taught about the suffragettes as kids, I think many of us assumed we would have been active in that movement. Its been somewhat sobering (though in retrospect, perhaps not surprising) to realise we're rather less vocal than we might have imagined, due to the need to retain jobs and friendships.

But it can also give us some insight into how many women must have felt the same in 1911, 1912 etc. Now we're held back from speaking out on social media by the fear of losing our jobs and livelihoods, back then for every Annie Kenney and Emily Davison there must have been thousands of women who couldn't afford to support the cause publicly because in a time when women had so little economic power they relied on their husbands for the roof over their heads and access to their children.

I would probably have been amongst those women, but I like to think I would have been talking about it with my friends over tea (if I was lucky enough to have that kind of leisured life) and encouraging them to write letters to MPs and newspapers. I hope I would have been quietly doing everything I could under the radar then, as I do now.

EmbarrassingAdmissions Fri 28-May-21 23:54:58

That's a very encouraging framing, OP.

NecessaryScene1 Sat 29-May-21 00:09:14

Uplifting credit roll time.

It feels like this is due an update, but this gem from a couple of years ago is still sweet: Women Are Fighting Back

Or there's the end credits of Gender Ideology

Or just get down with the Vagina Anthem.

Thelnebriati Sat 29-May-21 18:37:47

Quick bump for the Saturday crowd. Chin up and crack on!

Undersnatch Sun 30-May-21 08:00:23

This is really helpful and encouraging me that the one-to-one conversations in private are also important in turning the tide. I feel really guilty for not speaking up at work, but there are good reasons. I keep biding my time though and a few smaller conversations rather than a big complaint to the executive board is perhaps more realistic.

StillFemale Sun 30-May-21 13:22:41

Undersnatch

This is really helpful and encouraging me that the one-to-one conversations in private are also important in turning the tide. I feel really guilty for not speaking up at work, but there are good reasons. I keep biding my time though and a few smaller conversations rather than a big complaint to the executive board is perhaps more realistic.

It’s definitely worth having plenty of those one-to-one conversations and building support. It will make it easier to raise concerns more openly on the right occasion if you know there are others with the same view.

TheABC Mon 31-May-21 09:02:18

At the end of the day, all those letters, quiet conversations, the £5 donation to a legal case or the nod of support...they add up. But, because you only see the noisy stuff of Twitter, you assume nothing is happening. It is.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in