Books for kids recommendations?

(10 Posts)
EverythingWasGolden Fri 14-May-21 14:33:52

My DS is only 5 but loves to be read to and really loves true life type books. I've been looking for some books about inspirational people, both men and women. We tried Stories for Boys Who Dare to be Different but within the first 7 pages there are 2 stories of transmen being 'born in the wrong body' and he knew he wasn't a girl as he didn't like wearing dresses etc confused. It's the same in Stories for Rebel Girls.

I know it's not strictly FWR but it is related as it's all in my quest to raise feminist children of both sexes! Can anyone recommend a book or series of books with fiction with strong (ideally female) characters/morals or true life that doesn't push an ideology?

OP’s posts: |
TinyTear Fri 14-May-21 14:36:13

So far I like the "great women" series... Diverse , covers old and new generations and as far as I'm aware not a "wrong body" in sight

Aroundtheworldin80moves Fri 14-May-21 14:37:59

Mine have always like the books by Kate Pankhurst about various famous women.

EverythingWasGolden Fri 14-May-21 14:42:02

I saw the Kate Pankhurst one. I'll go into waterstone this evening and see what they've got.

There are a fair few about women but not so many about men. I did see the good guys: 50 men who changed the world with kindness (or something like that) so if anyone has read that I'd be interested in a feminist review!

HoneysuckIejasmine Fri 14-May-21 14:46:20

Yes to Kate Pankhurst (of the Pankhurst family, I believe). Also we have a few STEM themed ones called "Ada Twist, Scientist" and "Rosie Revere, Engineer" which are great.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 14-May-21 14:57:29

I thought back to my childhood with ladybird books eg Florence nightingale.

Maybe that might have some possibilities even now (though I wouldn't bet the 1960 David Livingstone would pass muster nowadays)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Ladybird+biography&rh=n%3A67&ref=nbsbb_noss

Scout2016 Fri 14-May-21 15:11:23

Not a book but real life women heros related, this card game was recommended on here at Christmas and looks great

wordery.com/wonder-women-isabel-thomas-9781786272362?awc=9111_1605645481_83245d05145ddd0f8417c503d4561d1d&utm_source=AWIN&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=78888

Advertisement

Scout2016 Fri 14-May-21 15:16:03

The Little People Big Dreams series of books are meant to be good too.

nickymanchester Fri 14-May-21 15:42:37

A great series of books that I can really recommend is the Extraordinary Lives series from Puffin, the only downside is that is mostly US based names. There are 16 books in the series, they're each about 120 pages long and cost £6.99 each:-

www.penguin.co.uk/series/extliv/extraordinary-lives.html

The people that they cover in the 16 books are:-

Amelia Earhart
Mary Seacole
Rosa Parks
Katherine Johnson
Michelle Obama
Serena WIlliams
Greta Thunburg
Anne Frank
Malala Yousafzai
Neil Armstrong
Nelson Mandela
Alan Turing
Stephen Hawking
Steve Jobs
Freddie Mercury

The books are aimed at KS2 so that's ages 7-11

EverythingWasGolden Fri 14-May-21 17:42:46

Loads of good ideas - thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in