Mass Observation Day today - tell researchers what is happening

(12 Posts)
ItsNotNormalLove Wed 12-May-21 18:01:31

If you haven't heard of it, Mass Observation is a UK archive of diaries written by all kinds of people every year on 12th May. It is anonymous and used by researchers to find out what life was like.

Well today's the day. I've written about the side effects of my Covid jab and how they can affect women more than men and then seamlessly took it in the direction of the creeping erasure of women.

Mass Observation diaries are a snapshot of a person's day or life in general and is a chance to get what's happening into social history.

I thought it a good opportunity and one that others might like to take up if you have a little time today.

You can write about whatever you want and as much as you want.

More here, including a Word template at the bottom: http://www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may

OP’s posts: |
FlyPassed Wed 12-May-21 18:08:41

Bump

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 12-May-21 18:10:22

Ooh! I'll have a look at that. thanks smile

ValancyRedfern Wed 12-May-21 18:10:27

Great idea!

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 12-May-21 18:22:18

Now to channel my inner Nella grin

ItsNotNormalLove Wed 12-May-21 18:38:31

Apparently they only had 5000 responses last year. Hopefully there will be at least a handful this year from women setting out the facts of what's happening. If you can share the link with any other women and girls that would be great 👍

ItsNotNormalLove Wed 12-May-21 21:36:03

Bumping because there's only a couple of hours left if anyone else wants to submit anything.

Advertisement

Boadicea2 Wed 12-May-21 23:39:14

Thanks for this OP. Just submitted mine.

ItsNotNormalLove Thu 13-May-21 00:21:01

Great 👍 Thanks all who submitted something. I felt it was important for our voices to be heard in this way.

thinkingaboutLangCleg Sat 15-May-21 18:53:42

Is it too late to submit an entry? I didn't see a deadline on the website, and I noticed that entries could be sent in on paper, so they would arrive later.
Sent mine anyway, just in case.

thinkingaboutLangCleg Sat 15-May-21 20:59:17

There’s still time. I sent mine this evening and received this message:

Your email has arrived with the Mass Observation Archive.

Details about the 12th May diary day can be found here: www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may.

Due to the volume of diaries, we receive as part of the 12th May diary project we are unable to acknowledge diaries individually. Your diary will be added to our collections and become part of the Mass Observation Archive

All other emails and replies to Mass Observation Directives will be responded to within 10 working days.

Best wishes from the Mass Observation Team.

ItsNotNormalLove Sun 16-May-21 02:41:07

I'm glad you were able to get one sent in thinkingaboutLangCleg** 👍

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in