Twitter, women and Mary Beard.

(7 Posts)
Mollyollydolly Tue 04-May-21 12:51:59

Just got a twelve hour ban from twitter for replying to one of Mary Beard's haters sarcastically with a tweet that said 'Burn the witch' and emoji of a witch. Twitter really does hate women. The bile directed at Mary and I get a ban for that. It's nothing really, but it just sums up how women are treated by twitter.

OP’s posts: |
NotTerfNorCis Tue 04-May-21 13:02:58

Hm maybe they didn't realise you were being sarcastic? Did 'burn the witch' come from you?

You're right about political bias though. Some people can get away with almost any abusive behaviour and survive dozens of reports. Others get bans for practically nothing.

GNCQ Tue 04-May-21 13:28:48

Yes I suppose in theory Twitter might have thought you actually meant "burn the witch" as sarcasm can get lost in translation. But I do not disagree. Twitter is a shit place for women.

MondayYogurt Tue 04-May-21 13:54:54

They probably reported your tweet - it's not necessarily some automatic thing. Next time try using quotes.

BraveBananaBadge Tue 04-May-21 14:10:16

I'd done well to swerve this whole furore until it popped up on Glinner's email, and it's just made me so sad and cross. There has been quite a bit of common sense and decent reporting in the media of late and I'd almost forgotten how poisonous and depressing the Twitterverse is.

That absolute moron who put out there just how they thought Mary Beard should have answered the question (and for whom 'I can follow whoever I want' is somehow not an acceptable answer) illustrated perfectly how dangerous and stupid these people are.

Women would be so much better off without Twitter.

Erikrie Tue 04-May-21 14:12:37

It's definitely worth coming off of twitter. It's not good for the soul.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 04-May-21 14:32:13

! Twitter doesn't mind neo-nazis, racists and all sorts but that's where they draw the line!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in