Feminist quotes thread

(128 Posts)
ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:45:10

For a bit of pep on a Friday afternoon, thought I'd gather some stirring quotes.

"I know that women, once convinced that they are doing what is right, that their rebellion is just, will go on, no matter what the difficulties, no matter what the dangers, so long as there is a woman alive to hold up the flag of rebellion" - Emmeline Pankhurst

OP’s posts: |
ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:45:31

“Remember the dignity of your womanhood. Do not appeal, do not beg, do not grovel. Take courage, join hands, stand besides us, fight with us.” - Christabel Pankhurst

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:45:42

“Courage calls to courage everywhere, and its voice cannot be denied" - Millicent Fawcett

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:46:37

Lucretia Mott

"The world has never yet seen a truly great and virtuous nation because in the degradation of woman the very fountains of life are poisoned at their source."

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:47:19

"I always feel the movement is a sort of mosaic. Each of us puts in one little stone, and then you get a great mosaic at the end."

Alice Paul

Erkrie Fri 23-Apr-21 16:48:38

♥️

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:49:24

“My own sex, I hope, will excuse me, if I treat them like rational creatures, instead of flattering their fascinating graces, and viewing them as if they were in a state of perpetual childhood, unable to stand alone.”

“Simplicity and sincerity generally go hand in hand, as both proceed from a love of truth.”

“There must be more equality established in society, or morality will never gain ground, and this virtuous equality will not rest firmly even when founded on a rock, if one half of mankind be chained to its bottom by fate, for they will be continually undermining it through ignorance or pride”

― Mary Wollstonecraft

Advertisement

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Fri 23-Apr-21 16:52:40

"Intellect will always govern."

Wollstonecraft

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:53:08

“Women have served all these centuries as looking glasses possessing the magic and delicious power of reflecting the figure of man at twice its natural size.”
― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:54:39

“Responsibility to yourself means refusing to let others do your thinking, talking, and naming for you.... It means, therefore, the courage to be "different"...The difference between a life lived actively, and a life of passive drifting and dispersal of energies, is an immense difference. Once we begin to feel committed to our lives, responsible to ourselves, we can never again be satisfied with the old, passive way.”

― Adrienne Rich

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:55:14

“I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.”
― audre lorde

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:55:53

“Men should think twice before making widowhood women's only path to power.”

― Gloria Steinem

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:56:50

“Culture does not make people. People make culture. If it is true that the full humanity of women is not our culture, then we can and must make it our culture.”

― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, We Should All Be Feminists

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 16:58:01

“The feminists had destroyed the old image of woman, but they could not erase the hostility, the prejudice, the discrimination that still remained.”
― Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique

TurquoiseBaubles Fri 23-Apr-21 17:13:02

"We realise the importance of our voices only when we are silenced"

Malala Yousafzai

OhHolyJesus Fri 23-Apr-21 17:13:17

Sorry if this lowers the tone but it rings true each and every time

"I'd rather be rude than a fucking liar."
Magdalen Berns

TurquoiseBaubles Fri 23-Apr-21 17:20:31

I'm not sure whether this is an accurate quote (google tells me it's from Rebecca West) but my mum used to use it a lot:

“People call me a feminist whenever I express statements that distinguish me from a doormat.”

ArabellaScott Fri 23-Apr-21 17:26:17

On the contrary, that elevates the tone, Jesus!

LastRoloIsMine Fri 23-Apr-21 17:29:26

You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.

Brigham Young

LastRoloIsMine Fri 23-Apr-21 17:29:57

When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch.

Bette Davis

LastRoloIsMine Fri 23-Apr-21 17:30:45

I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.

Rebecca West

MadameKali Fri 23-Apr-21 17:31:25

@OhHolyJesus you beat me to it. Good choice.

BeReet Fri 23-Apr-21 17:34:17

These are great. I am saving this thread for my next lot of slates and Hateful Haberdashery. Coming soon to a railing near you (possibly)

AdHominemNonSequitur Fri 23-Apr-21 17:41:49

Nice thread

“There is no female mind. The brain is not an organ of sex. As well speak of a female liver.”
― Charlotte Perkins Gilman

LastRoloIsMine Fri 23-Apr-21 17:49:53

No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor.

Betty Friedan

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in