Horrific article on domestic violence in Russia 22 women killed a day

(15 Posts)
GoWalkabout Sun 21-Mar-21 08:17:13

This is what men do when unfettered by criminal or social consequences sad angry

OP’s posts: |
GoWalkabout Sun 21-Mar-21 08:17:33

news.sky.com/story/how-russias-decision-to-decriminalise-domestic-violence-is-continuing-to-kill-12250780

IDanielRadcliffe Sun 21-Mar-21 08:33:50

I don’t have the words angry

Cloud1921 Sun 21-Mar-21 09:34:22

It's disgraceful.

I feel genuinely at a loss as to what we can do to make things better.

littlbrowndog Sun 21-Mar-21 09:38:52

Horrific. I can’t understand why it’s not a crime to kill a woman

Whatsnewpussyhat Sun 21-Mar-21 09:53:45

Those poor women and girls 😥

PrawnofthePatriarchy Sun 21-Mar-21 09:57:20

That's really horrifying. The population of Russia is only a bit more than double ours.

He cut her hands off? That's heartbreaking.

I used to work for a woman who had lived in Russia. She said it was dreadful - watching big blokes barging old women off the bus.

Advertisement

Imnobody4 Sun 21-Mar-21 09:59:13

Maybe it's time to face up to male psychology and it's pathologies. The factor that leaps out at me is the cruelty and overkill. It's the desire to inflict suffering and to punish etc.

We're talking more about male suicide, we also need to talk and conduct research about this. Are they psychopaths or is it just the banality of evil.
As OP says this is what men will do without social restraints.

risefromyourgrave Sun 21-Mar-21 10:08:58

Fucking hell, absolutely horrific. And those figures are from 2018, there’s no way it didn’t rise in their (short) lockdown last year.

Socrates11 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:24:11

A bleak picture from Russia. #WarOnWomen.
Every country on earth has a problem with femicide. Worldwide six women die an hour from male violence.
www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/violence-against-women-femicide-census/

toffeebutterpopcorn Sun 21-Mar-21 10:47:02

I get the odd news stories from Eastern Europe (so not always Russia) and the stories of cruelty and lack of humanity to women and children is just horrific.

hoodathunkit Sun 21-Mar-21 11:05:54

Women in Russia have extremely limited options.

One way out of the inveitibility of a life of abuse and domestic violence is offered by various "Goddess schools" and "Gold Digger Academies" that train Russian women in sexual techniques, hypnotism, NLP, seduction techniques and "how to marry a millionaire"

A description of one of these pseudo-educaitonal enterprises can be found via this link

web.archive.org/web/20171213045422if_/https://www.thedailybeast.com/web/20171213045422/https://www.thedailybeast.com/russias-gold-digger-academy

It is a chapter from a book I have recommended to readers here,
www.amazon.co.uk/Nothing-True-Everything-Possible-Surreal/dp/1610394550/?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

The book has a chapter titled "No Complexes" that describes how secretarial and administrative jobs for women usually include the word "no complexes" which indicates that the woman applying for the job is required to perform sexual favours for her employer.

Thelnebriati Sun 21-Mar-21 11:41:53

''Ruslan Mellin is a trauma surgeon in the city of Kemerovo where Ms Pekhteleva was killed.
He says around 15% of the patients he operates on are the victims of domestic violence.''

Even people who don't get why violence against a class of citizens is wrong can usually grasp that if they are paying for that violence in increased taxes, it has an impact on them.

People who would rather suck up that cost than rock the boat are part of the problem.

GoWalkabout Sun 21-Mar-21 11:55:29

I agree, if not all men, where are the men stopping this or saying enough?

WarriorN Sun 21-Mar-21 13:02:17

It is a criminal offence now to defame a veteran but it is not one to beat up your wife.

That's an awful report, those poor women and girls.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in