Right angles in a semi circle & fiction vs non fiction

(4 Posts)
Drive Fri 26-Feb-21 10:01:43

A fellow homeschooling fed up mum sent me the story in the DM about the question - true or false, there are two right angles in a semi circle.

Anyway T/F aside (big debate on Twitter) I couldn't help notice how many of the comments suggested that maybe the semi circle identified as a straight line...

I've also been thinking about a 'fact' book about a fictional universe that my DC had to do comprehension questions on including is the a fiction or a non-fiction book. Nearly all the class answered (wrongly as it turns out) fiction.

So my musings on this are how helpful is it to present fictional facts as non fiction? I'm clearly not a teacher, so I don't know what the answer should be.

OP’s posts: |
hallouminatus Fri 26-Feb-21 14:26:21

Is this thread in the right topic?

TeenMinusTests Fri 26-Feb-21 14:34:52

I can give an answer (which may or may not be correct) to the semicircle bit, but not to much else there.

re fictional facts as non fiction. You mean like 'Fantastic beasts and where to find them?'

Kotatsu Fri 26-Feb-21 14:51:59

I've seen similar - My eldest does Reading Eggs while we're in lockdown, and came to me indignant the other day because he'd failed the module quiz with a question about whether the book was fact or fiction, the book being 'Myths and legends' with Jack and the beanstalk on the cover, and he'd obviously answered fiction, but reading eggs felt that it was fact!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in