Talk

Advanced search

If someone calls us a terf or transphobic, could we call them biophobic as a response?

(9 Posts)
Soubriquet Tue 23-Feb-21 11:18:10

Cos you know they are denying biology and seem to actually be afraid of being reminded that biology cannot be changed?

OP’s posts: |
FlibbertyGiblets Tue 23-Feb-21 11:23:26

I have gynaephobic in my lexicon, Sou. Not sure of my spelling though.

IvyTwines Tue 23-Feb-21 11:58:06

I've just been reading the chapter on the Scopes trial in Francis Wheen's 'How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World'. Wheen's book was published in 2004, before the mainstream emergence of gender ideology, but so much of that chapter resonates with what's going on now, largely imported from the USA, a country where teaching evolutionary biology is still considered controversial (a Guardian piece from 2002 says 45% of Americans believe God created the world in the last 10,000 years).

RufustheSniggeringReindeer Tue 23-Feb-21 12:06:46

I dont see why not

There seems to be heaps of new words all the time so why not this one

Thelnebriati Tue 23-Feb-21 12:16:20

You know the name calling only works one way.

aliasundercover Tue 23-Feb-21 12:26:21

‘Truthphobic’ would be my choice.

BuntingEllacott Tue 23-Feb-21 12:32:05

I'll be honest, the sooner the phobic suffix dies a death, the better. Like most ideas that seemed good at the time, it's managed to morph into a load of complete arse.

I'll still use homophobic or lesbophobic occasionally as a shorthand term, but the prefix anti is much clearer and less useful for complete jargonizing.

If someone calls me a TERF or or transphobic, I tend to treat it the same way I would treat being called a bitch or a witch. It tells onlookers so much more about the person using it than it does about me, especially when I just carrying on talking about reality without needing nasty buzzwords to shut disobedient women up.

oldwhyno Tue 23-Feb-21 12:34:04

Would Gynophobic or Misogynist capture it?

MichelleofzeResistance Tue 23-Feb-21 12:55:04

Misogynistic has been captured to mean mostly a particular kind of women and a stick to hit most other kinds of women with. Hence the committee at the moment in Scotland carefully ensuring that any legislation around misogyny mostly benefits only the right kind of women.

Gynephobia is specific to fear of, contempt of and prejudice against people with female biology. Which nails it. And isn't up for capture.

If you support legislation and policy that intentionally removes rights from and even reference to people with female biology it's gynephobia. This needs to be put plainly: there is a line between transphobia and gynephobia, and neither side of the line is a more righteous or acceptable place to be.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in