Talk

Advanced search

"Theydies and gentlethems"

(92 Posts)
nordica Sun 21-Feb-21 15:52:35

... is what the clothing brand Lucy & Yak thinks people should use instead of ladies and gentlemen or guys and gals when referring to others in posts in their official Facebook group. "Folx" is also acceptable as is anything else gender-neutral. confused

I'm in the group because I quite like their clothes but not sure I'll ever want to buy from them now if they are so keen to erase my identity as a woman.

Someone also suggested they do Harry Potter themed clothes the other week and you can imagine how well that went down. grin (The admins immediately posted a link about JKR being transphobic and closed the comments.)

OP’s posts: |
MangoBiscuit Sun 21-Feb-21 15:55:03

I read the title in the voice of Igor from Discworld. Now I'm slightly disappointed.

PothoIeParadies Sun 21-Feb-21 15:57:25

Is folks acceptable? Or does it become oppressive if it's not with an -x? grin

Never heard of them. I say, just vote with your feet/debit card. They want to make money, and they're probably making the correct marketing decision for their target market.

MotherWitch Sun 21-Feb-21 16:01:25

That reminds me of the "Guys, gals and non-binary pals!" I saw in a Facebook group once hmm

JellySlice Sun 21-Feb-21 16:10:31

How would that change anything?

(I can't be the only one who read it as "They dies and gentles them.")

CranberriesChoccyAgain Sun 21-Feb-21 16:12:45

Maybe if you identity as having a thpeeth impedimenth.

TheChampagneGalop Sun 21-Feb-21 16:15:05

"They dies" doesn't sound very positive confused
And isn't this excluding everyone who doesn't identify as they/them?

guinnessguzzler Sun 21-Feb-21 16:18:35

Why not just say 'Hi everybody', Dr Nick style? Although The Simpsons is probably not far off being cancelled for various crimes against equality so perhaps that wouldn't go down well either.

DialSquare Sun 21-Feb-21 16:19:50

Stanley Unwin was way ahead of them.

MrsSteveMcDonald Sun 21-Feb-21 16:21:13

The person that looks after their page is full on TWAW

Hammonds Sun 21-Feb-21 16:21:46

Sounds like a speech impediment.

Fucking bonkers. Thought this would be over by now..

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Sun 21-Feb-21 16:21:56

I honestly can't get too worked up over this.

StringyPotatoes Sun 21-Feb-21 16:22:51

A person who identifies as non-binary addressed one of my Fb groups as "folx" the other day. I was a bit hmm

It's a group full of women with one or two men who are presumably well aware that they are in the the tiny minority and pretty new to the group.

Most people start with "Hi ladies" or similar but perhaps with the men now part of the group what on Earth would be wrong with "folks"?!

Triphazards Sun 21-Feb-21 16:24:57

Latheys and themtlemen.

No that's not any good either.

Beamur Sun 21-Feb-21 16:32:31

Actually I quite like it.
I really hate the casual use of 'guys' though..
Boo to dissing JKR though.

TheChampagneGalop Sun 21-Feb-21 16:33:03

Latheys and themtlemen.
Tried to say this and sounded very drunk grin

MoodyMarshall Sun 21-Feb-21 16:33:18

OMG I just asked DH to get me some L&Y dungas for my birthday, and now I find out they're all about the compelled speech 🙄

TeaAndStrumpets Sun 21-Feb-21 16:33:38

Well "mugs" is pretty gender neutral, so maybe they should address their customers thus wink

Talk about bad PR.

PothoIeParadies Sun 21-Feb-21 16:44:35

I think theydies and gentlethems only works written down.

It's not a mode of address that resonates with me, but I'm not being dehumanised by it, so they can carry on without my interference. I'll just shrug at it!

HermitsLife Sun 21-Feb-21 17:01:02

....marwidge is what bwings us togever twoday

notyourhandmaid Sun 21-Feb-21 17:06:27

Just on their website - are all their clothes explicitly unisex? Does that work in terms of sizing? Or in practice are some items very specifically designed for one sex?

LongPauseNoAnswer Sun 21-Feb-21 17:08:16

HermitsLife

....marwidge is what bwings us togever twoday

grin beat me to it

I’m so exhausted with this shite. ENOUGH

Saucery Sun 21-Feb-21 17:08:47

MangoBiscuit

I read the title in the voice of Igor from Discworld. Now I'm slightly disappointed.

grin grin

aliasundercover Sun 21-Feb-21 17:08:54

Ok, so that's Lucy and Yak off the list as well, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with me wearing their clothes.

therocinante Sun 21-Feb-21 17:10:40

MotherWitch

That reminds me of the "Guys, gals and non-binary pals!" I saw in a Facebook group once hmm

That seems... Unobjectionable?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in