Page 4 | The Feminist Library Has Fallen

(85 Posts)
WootMoggie Thu 28-Jan-21 14:06:29

...apparently you are not welcome if you believe that trans people present even a mere ‘complication’ to women’s rights.

Oh - and you’re not allowed to discuss this either.

feministlibrary.co.uk/statement-on-transphobia-and-accountability/

OP’s posts: |
EvenleyWitch Sun 31-Jan-21 01:48:41

Laurank

Good point @Daca about TRA posturing being 'political theatre' when FL isn't even open anyway. There is something about indefinite LD, with its keyboard warrior-ism and impossibility of IRL resolution, that just seems to encourage extreme sabre rattling like this.
It makes me wonder what it would be like, when it reopens, to visit, perhaps with a few women, to see what it's like, chat to the collective. And to see whether (or how) they'd eject us if we ventured a GC opinion.

I'm up for that. Very interested.

EvenleyWitch Sun 31-Jan-21 01:50:23

katmarie

Surely the point of libraries is to provide literature and materials which allow people to learn and discover. I have never met a librarian yet who would willingly remove books from a library's collection, most librarians want to share knowledge and help people discover new perspectives, surely. To restrict materials or access to them based on an ideology feels like it goes against some kind of librarians code or something. Which just tells me that this isn't about running a library, it's about making a point.

Indeed
Incredible isn't it?

FireUnderTheHand Sun 31-Jan-21 03:44:45

Feminist Library...

Fuck you, you fucking cowardly traitors.

jellyfrizz Sun 31-Jan-21 08:06:39

ThePonderer

*we believe that there is not a singular, universal origin point for all women’s oppression across the globe nor should we attempt to find one*

What's the point of feminism then? That means we're just a disparate group of people who are having bad experiences which we want to change.

No way to define us. No problems in common. No solutions which will apply to us all.

How could anybody benefit from visiting this library?

I honestly can’t get over that statement.
Even if it weren’t bloody obvious what the root of women’s oppression is, why wouldn’t you attempt to find the cause?

ThePonderer Sun 31-Jan-21 20:14:48

Even if it weren’t bloody obvious what the root of women’s oppression is, why wouldn’t you attempt to find the cause?

I agree, it's amazing.

Analysis is out; you must believe.

nepeta Sun 31-Jan-21 20:33:34

ThePonderer

*Even if it weren’t bloody obvious what the root of women’s oppression is, why wouldn’t you attempt to find the cause?*

I agree, it's amazing.

Analysis is out; you must believe.

The other night I was thinking how being kind and inclusive or at least being seen as kind and inclusive and on the right side of history is driving the erasure of our ability to fight against sex-based oppression and sexism.

It is informative about the reasons why women got to be second-class citizens to begin with. One really must fight for one's rights.

MaudTheInvincible Tue 02-Feb-21 15:16:52

The hashtag #OurFeministLibrary by FiLiA in response to the authoritarian paternalist position taken by The (anti)feminist Library is a thing of beauty and full of treasure!

Daca Tue 02-Feb-21 15:45:35

Nice article ICYMI

thecritic.co.uk/why-is-the-feminist-library-erasing-women/?fbclid=IwAR1ddsTws0BDBlHYryl7zHNSEbFhP4v0Ej8WAryaVmjYIAVgh9eSRK5_lI4

Abhannmor Tue 02-Feb-21 16:51:39

sleepyhead

"We believe we can record and preserve the discourse around oppression and the struggle for rights without including literature that is published with the intent to cause harm. We are developing a Collection Development Policy that includes a commitment to critically reflecting on our methods and the systems we use and will make this publicly available."

Who will decide what was published with the intent to cause harm? Hmm.

Whenever you see the word 'around ' in these statements you know it's all lies and evasion. In my experience anyway.

Daca Wed 03-Feb-21 20:56:43

Another take on the whole debacle:
theblisteringrebuttal.substack.com/p/holding-the-fauxminist-library-accountable

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in