Talk

Advanced search

Single sex schools

(5 Posts)
ottermadness Thu 21-Jan-21 20:34:07

Hi, trying to find out the answer to a question.

Could anyone please point me to any resources/cases/precedent about teenage transitioning (FtM or MtF) and how this has affected attendance at single sex schools. Is moving schools part of the process? Alternatively, what about admission to a single sex school after ‘transition’, how is this dealt with?

Thanks, I don’t want to accidentally ask/say the wrong thing.

OP’s posts: |
BrassicaRabbit Thu 21-Jan-21 20:45:39

I wonder this too, OP.

Anecdotally there are plenty of transboys & NB identifying females remaining at a single sex private girls school I know of. A different single sex private girls school I know of is now a Stonewall rights champion. I'm really curious to know if that means transgirls can attend. If they can, could my (gnc, long haired etc) son sit the 11 plus now just incase he's a transgirl in the future?

MichelleofzeResistance Thu 21-Jan-21 21:22:34

It seems, anecdotally, to be working mostly one way only.

For example you will find to have children of both sexes is not unusual in a number of girls' single sex schools, but not at all in boys' schools such as Eton.

ChChChChChangesToUsername Thu 21-Jan-21 21:38:56

Good question. This newspaper article, from a year ago, says new guidance is coming out... anyone know if it has yet?

www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/transgender-single-sex-schools-pupils-parents-gender-equality-a9217991.html

W00t Fri 22-Jan-21 02:28:05

I work in a single sex school (state academy), and we have a number of children who have chosen to identify as the opposite sex. When supported by parents, they are referred to by their new chosen name, and there are separate individual loos and changing rooms they can use.
None have left us, other than at standard school leaving points (end of Y11 or end of Y13, depending on academic ability).
We have not yet had anyone born to the opposite sex to, but living as our school's intake sex ask for a place, as far as I am aware.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in