Talk

Advanced search

Gender of the person playing a role....

(8 Posts)
SameO1d Mon 18-Jan-21 09:39:47

An anonymous executive on the film “Matilda” has apparently said that “The best gender to play a woman, should be a woman”. Emma Thompson is to play the role of Miss Trunchbull.

“The best gender to play a woman, should be a woman”.

News Article Trunchbull

OP’s posts: |
YouBoughtMeAWall Mon 18-Jan-21 09:41:04

Well woman isn’t a gender so....

SameO1d Mon 18-Jan-21 09:43:35

Absolutely. It also shows how people confuse and conflate the words sex and gender. It adds to the confusion.

OP’s posts: |
DaisiesandButtercups Mon 18-Jan-21 09:49:34

I don’t think that Miss Trunchbull’s gender was ever mentioned in the book. How do they know if it is not explicitly stated?

highame Mon 18-Jan-21 10:06:51

I must admit, if they weren't to use a women, then perhaps Craig Revel Horwood, who does a good line in pantomime I believe

Babdoc Mon 18-Jan-21 10:09:35

It might be a clever bit of arse covering. The GC will read it as “only actual women should play women”, while the woke brigade will read it as “anyone identifying as female gender can play women”.

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Mon 18-Jan-21 10:17:00

I'm an actor, primarily Shakespearean. I actually get cast in quite a few male roles - I'm tall, with broad shoulders and narrow hips in proportion to my frame, and quite a low voice.

I'm happy about that, as there are so few good female roles, even in Shakespeare, especially for older women (and my build and voice meant I never got the good younger female roles when I was young - I've never played Juliet or Ophelia, for example).

But for the same reason I'm against completely gender-blind casting. Men have so many brilliant roles to chose from, so they can keep their grubby mitts off Gertrude and Lady Macbeth!

I realise this may not seem very equal, but I think it is nonetheless fair - in the same way that I have no problem with black actors playing Lear or Hamlet, but white actors shouldn't play Othello.

Emma Thompson can play any role she likes, IMHO. She's great.

CrossPurposes Mon 18-Jan-21 10:39:27

The problem that I noted with gender blind casting when I saw Wise Children at the Old Vic in 2018 was that two great roles for women had gone to men which considering the dearth of great roles for women seemed wrong and a little sad.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in