Talk

Advanced search

No ‘women’ option

(31 Posts)
Ehmbeeh Sat 16-Jan-21 13:42:33

Boots chemist online shopping - is it ok for there not to be ‘women’ option for shampoo?

OP’s posts: |
peboh Sat 16-Jan-21 13:42:52

Yes.

Barracker Sat 16-Jan-21 14:03:32

?

iklboo Sat 16-Jan-21 14:10:33

Eh?

Theunamedcat Sat 16-Jan-21 14:11:13

What options are there?

Thelnebriati Sat 16-Jan-21 14:14:27

If men have searched for 'men's shampoo' they'll create a section of men's shampoos. The rest of us just buy shampoo that we dont apply with our penis.

MatildaStoker Sat 16-Jan-21 14:18:39

Interesting!
I’ve just had a look at their website and I see what you mean, “men’s” has a section all of its own.

I am wondering, do Boots see “women” as their default customer for beauty products, hair products etc, so they don’t have a separate “women” section as it’s all aimed at women unless stated otherwise? There’s over 2230 products listed under “all hair”, and only 157 products listed under “men’s hair”.

Theunamedcat Sat 16-Jan-21 14:19:54

So this is interesting i thought they would be mistaken but no they are right

Jellington Sat 16-Jan-21 14:22:19

@Thelnebriati that made me laugh so much! 😂

Thelnebriati Sat 16-Jan-21 14:26:53

grin

justchecking1 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:14:27

I can kind of see the point though. Men's shampoo is very distinct from normal shampoo. It tends to be quite masculine smelling or of the "just for men" black dye variety. I wouldn't use any of it on my hair.

I think of shampoo as either 'men's' or 'unisex'. I'm not sure what I would define as 'women's' shampoo

SomewhatBored Sat 16-Jan-21 15:16:22

Women are considered the default shampoo customers.

Imnobody4 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:17:37

Doesn't women's shampoo just cost more?

Alexandernevermind Sat 16-Jan-21 15:18:35

I am wondering, do Boots see “women” as their default customer for beauty products, hair products etc, so they don’t have a separate “women” section as it’s all aimed at women unless stated otherwise? I think so too @MatildaStoker. I dont need there to be a women's opinion @Ehmbeeh, it's all for me unless its marketed for men.

sixteenseventythree Sat 16-Jan-21 15:19:06

Plenty of other areas of life where men are the default and we have to look for special women's products/services, so hooray for shampoo!

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 16-Jan-21 15:30:42

sixteenseventythree

Plenty of other areas of life where men are the default and we have to look for special women's products/services, so hooray for shampoo!

Indeed. Shampoo is a shining light of feminism. Who knew.

Theunamedcat Sat 16-Jan-21 15:41:24

In what way is mens shampoo different to womens? Shampoo is shampoo?

TheBuffster Sat 16-Jan-21 15:44:24

Men's shampoo: wash your face, hair and balls with this.
Women's shampoo: Suitable for dry, damaged, blonde, curly, short hair.

SomewhatBored Sat 16-Jan-21 15:44:42

In what way is mens shampoo different to womens?

It smells 'manly' and comes in a black bottle grin.

Theunamedcat Sat 16-Jan-21 16:05:10

So you cant recycle mens shampoo bottles then?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 16-Jan-21 16:07:08

Theunamedcat

So you cant recycle mens shampoo bottles then?

Recycling is for girls.

Be manly, throw things on a landfill. ROAR.

CranberriesChoccyAgain Sat 16-Jan-21 17:02:02

This is what guys are after

Onlinedilema Sat 16-Jan-21 17:09:41

Actually, I agree with others, it does make a nice change for women to be the default. Makes a change from literature and films where it's described as "Chick lit". Also not so long ago look at how female roles were marked as "other" WPC for example. I really don't see the need for girl or boy clothes or girl trainers and boy trainers their call bloody shoes and clothes!

Ehmbeeh Sun 17-Jan-21 11:11:18

When I was looking for shampoo I wanted something for my thinning hair that is growing in grey as I am no longer colouring it. I chose various options that matched my needs and I know from my my hairdresser, (closed due to restrictions) that men’s hair differs from women’s hair hence my search for ‘women’s option’. I am almost certain there used to be this option e.g. in that option/section there was a choice of men, women, unisex. Will update once Boots reply to my email message.

OP’s posts: |
newyearnewname123 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:36:16

On a similar note, I wanted some nice smelling bubble bath, so bought this from Sainsbury's. Had been using it for a while before noticing it is "men's".

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/bath/the-collection-mens-muscle-therapy-bath-soak-500ml

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in