Talk

Advanced search

Ribbon woman in the Pentlands

(29 Posts)
elpth Sat 09-Jan-21 14:48:14

Loved seeing these on top of Capelaw in the Pentlands outside Edinburgh this morning. Beautiful up there. Bravo ribbon woman 👏 💪

OP’s posts: |
MsPah Sat 09-Jan-21 19:39:18

Thank you, Elpth. Just googled to see if anyone had found, and here you are. Tied them Wednesday on both summits so glad they're still there. I didn't manage to check today when out again as by the time I got round the side of Capelaw, I was caught in a nasty whiteout and had to get off the hill pronto on my bahookey. I hope they stay and only the elements do their work on them. I found it a really moving thing to do: remembering the Scots suffragettes who fought for our rights, and acknowledging the current struggle which forces us to defend them again. Thanks for posting. Hope you're a ribbon woman too. No pasaran! X

MerchedCymru Sat 09-Jan-21 20:15:34

Poetic! Thanks for doing it & thanks for posting it OP.

littlbrowndog Sat 09-Jan-21 20:19:57

Wow thanks and the weather is so icy. Brav3 woman 🍷🍷❤️❤️❤️

littlbrowndog Sat 09-Jan-21 20:21:56

And rembering all the Scottish witches who were murdered for just being women.

It’s like the witch hunts of today.

But they don’t get to murder us ....

JayAlfredPrufrock Sat 09-Jan-21 20:23:01

Just beautiful.

SophocIestheFox Sat 09-Jan-21 20:28:07

Fantastic 😀

AnjouPear Sat 09-Jan-21 20:41:39

I love this. I can see it catching on <googles purple ribbon>

MsPah Sat 09-Jan-21 21:01:36

Thank you, all.
If you're not already, be part of it, Sisters:

twitter.com/search?q=%23TheNewSuffragettes&src=typeahead_click

MsPah Sat 09-Jan-21 21:04:40

AnjouPear

I love this. I can see it catching on <googles purple ribbon>

My ribbon, from eBay: good and cheap and pretty fair quality. Good luck, Anjou!

MsPah Sat 09-Jan-21 21:14:00

littlbrowndog

And rembering all the Scottish witches who were murdered for just being women.

It’s like the witch hunts of today.

But they don’t get to murder us ....

Indeed. Thank you.

I have to confess I've seldom, if ever, posted on mums and all these response are so heartening, particularly as I've heard so many of the women's/feminist accounts have been expunged.

"Witch hunts" - it indubitably is, and on other platforms, where women are vilified and threatened for standing up for their rights, aka 'hate crime', that's how it feels (inasmuch as any SM reflects reality). I'm minded of the current soaring rates of DV and murder of women - ascribed to lockdown - so it's clear that the analogy is horrifyingly accurate.

peanut2017 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:14:03

Well done. Great idea

GoodyWoolf Sat 09-Jan-21 21:20:26

Love this! I’m local too, will see if I can find some ribbon too.

persistentwoman Sat 09-Jan-21 21:21:25

That's lovely OP. All these small gestures add up.

littlbrowndog Sat 09-Jan-21 21:22:00

Yeah. Stay here mspah. Awesome bunch of witches here

CrossPurposes Sat 09-Jan-21 22:03:26

Oh, I love the idea of being a new suffragette. My usual face mask is in the colours and I've just brought a scarf in the same.

ToesAndFingersCrossed Sat 09-Jan-21 22:20:47

@elpth I thought it was you who had put it up there! Was about to text you to say you’d made it to mumsnet!

elpth Sat 09-Jan-21 22:26:04

@MsPah I'm glad I posted and you found it! Do hang around on mumsnet, there are a fab bunch of witches on this board. Your ribbons looked particularly fab in the snow. And I deliberately commented loudly "oh look, that's to support women's rights re the gender reform act, brilliant!" so maybe some of those around me would hear. It was rather windy though! Think I'll go and put it on Twitter too. Thanks for tying them up there!
@ToesAndFingersCrossed It wasn't me who put it up this time but I'm definitely inspired for the future!

ClaireP20 Sun 10-Jan-21 00:53:07

I will buy purple ribbon too but I have to write a slogan on it before tying...because here purple ribbon means to support our knife crime victims. But what to write...

ClaireP20 Sun 10-Jan-21 00:59:59

ClaireP20

I will buy purple ribbon too but I have to write a slogan on it before tying...because here purple ribbon means to support our knife crime victims. But what to write...

Ok, will order from here - purple ribbon, slogan to be decided!

www.theribbonco.co.uk/product/25mm-personalised-valentines-day-ribbon/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxeX_BRASEiwAc1QdkT6qgEvYwi-GJM0eANoX9lsuRNNAiglahKExcKPWxH9M-tzzlpNZdRoCZnEQAvD_BwE

elpth Sun 10-Jan-21 08:39:29

@ClaireP20 maybe if you get all three colours (green, white and purple) it will be more obviously linked to women's rights even without a slogan?
I need to buy some ribbon now too! Thanks for the inspiration MsPah!

HecatesCats Sun 10-Jan-21 09:22:53

Lovely MsPah!

MsPah Sun 10-Jan-21 10:30:40

ClaireP20

Hi Claire. That pre-printed ribbon's very posh!
I bought the 3 colours from 'shoes.kingdom' on eBay @ £2.87 per 25 yard roll (£3 for one roll). Hmm, very cheap, so I guess the quality's not fabulous, but it looks and feels good to me. I wonder if a laundry pen would do the job and not bleed.

Slogans from the heart - a good rule of thumb, I reckon, though popular ones are:

women won't wheesht
courage calls
woman - adult human female
sex not gender
sis not cis
'woman' is not a costume
stand with women
protect women's rights
truth - a revolutionary act
violating women's rights is not a right
or
a website address of one of the women's orgs:
For Women Scotland
Woman’s Place UK
Women Speak Scotland
Transgender Trend (transgendertrend: not the one with hyphen - that's a cod one!)
Fair Play for Women

All best!

elpth Sun 24-Jan-21 13:26:00

Delighted to say the ribbon is still up there and looking fab in the sun and snow

PurpleHoodie Sun 24-Jan-21 13:53:28

// lovely!//

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in