Male gender indicated to be higher risk for mortality in Covid

(29 Posts)
CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 15:52:47

www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination#vaccine-priority-groups-interim-advice

Luckily, that seems to mean that as long as you identify as a woman, you may be able to reduce your risk. This is huge.

OP’s posts: |
youkiddingme Wed 30-Dec-20 15:55:02

I'll go fish a dress out for DH. Phew.

MichelleofzeResistance Wed 30-Dec-20 15:55:13

Well that solves everything! Boris can announce it at 5pm: Everyone put on pink and giggle. Foxes the virus totally.

merrymouse Wed 30-Dec-20 15:59:22

Hang on - this seems to be about priority groups for the vaccine.

Could I jump the queue by smoking a pipe?

334bu Wed 30-Dec-20 16:01:33

" male gender" ????? Ffs

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 16:05:48

I have been worried about DH, but I think this may be the solution. I understand that gender does not really need to be consistent (can be fluid) and that in order to be considered of the female gender, it is all about a feeling. I will need to get DH in touch with his feminine side. Luckily, that means that he can carry on as usual in all other ways. Maybe he should wear a dress in the weekends (bit dress-fluid), just in case, what do you think?

Cismyfatarse Wed 30-Dec-20 16:07:36

As I am a man on Fridays do I need to schedule my vaccine accordingly?

Advertisement

titchy Wed 30-Dec-20 16:09:49

CoffeeTeaChocolate

I have been worried about DH, but I think this may be the solution. I understand that gender does not really need to be consistent (can be fluid) and that in order to be considered of the female gender, it is all about a feeling. I will need to get DH in touch with his feminine side. Luckily, that means that he can carry on as usual in all other ways. Maybe he should wear a dress in the weekends (bit dress-fluid), just in case, what do you think?

Perhaps just when he leaves the house and is more susceptible to catching the virus?

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 16:12:17

That is a very good point cis, I wonder if my absence of all girly, feminine clothes, the complete lack of glitter and the fact that I seemed to have a male brain in some Internet quiz means that I really am a man? Maybe I should notify my GP, just in case this means that I should get the vaccine earlier? I am so happy I realised this.

Whatwouldscullydo Wed 30-Dec-20 16:12:40

Whats a male gender and how do we know of we have one or not?

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 16:13:22

titchy, genius, I didn’t think of that.

Highwind Wed 30-Dec-20 16:13:26

This is really concerning. I recently decided that I identify as a man so not only have I just opened myself up for a higher rate of mortality from Covid.... I also now need to figure out which of the women in my life is going to help me to book my vaccination appointment!

This man stuff is hard.

Redshoeblueshoe Wed 30-Dec-20 16:16:41

Highwind the bonus is that no one will tell you to be nice

Highwind Wed 30-Dec-20 16:17:53

RedShoe

Maybe they will take my medical complaints seriously too?

yourhairiswinterfire Wed 30-Dec-20 16:20:54

CoffeeTeaChocolate

That is a very good point cis, I wonder if my absence of all girly, feminine clothes, the complete lack of glitter and the fact that I seemed to have a male brain in some Internet quiz means that I really am a man? Maybe I should notify my GP, just in case this means that I should get the vaccine earlier? I am so happy I realised this.

All you need to do apparently is put on a baseball cap and BAM, you're male now. (Make sure it's not a pink cap though.)
Happy days. Vaccine, here I come 😃

Jiggeriepokerie Wed 30-Dec-20 16:26:13

The TWAW mantra is going to be seriously tested in the (unlikely I think) event of men being prioritised over women for vaccination.

That'd be very interesting to watch grin

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 16:33:45

I don’t think it really will be tested, it will all be automatic.

I think if men are prioritised over women, it will all be down to the medical records held at the GP, you know, those which call trans women to smears?

This is why I am considering notifying my GP about my newfound male gender.

PickleC Wed 30-Dec-20 16:41:42

What a dilemma - should I wear pink and think really hard about unicorns to lower my risk, or only drink pints and learn the offside rule to get higher in the vaccine queue

Cismyfatarse Wed 30-Dec-20 16:47:11

I am spending time each day contemplating doing something with a hammer and screwdriver as this should get me vaccinated well ahead.

Reallybadidea Wed 30-Dec-20 16:56:30

I don't think this report is actually saying that men should be prioritised is it?

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 30-Dec-20 17:00:22

It isn’t, but it is indicating a possibility of a higher mortality for the male gender. We are (light heartedly) speculating that this may come through in the vaccine roll out.

doublehalo Wed 30-Dec-20 17:13:06

Once again confirming that most people using the word 'gender' haven't a fucking clue what they are talking about.

Shockingly stupid.

HerewardTheWoke Thu 31-Dec-20 11:38:42

That version of the guidance has been withdrawn. Here's the latest: www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

Pleasingly, there is no mention of gender in this version, and the language on pregnancy and breastfeeding is unambiguously woman-centred.

CoffeeTeaChocolate Fri 01-Jan-21 12:34:14

Thank heavens for that! Thank you for posting. I cannot believe that the gendered language found it way into actual medical guidance based on sex.

boatyardblues Fri 01-Jan-21 12:43:16

HerewardTheWoke

That version of the guidance has been withdrawn. Here's the latest: www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

Pleasingly, there is no mention of gender in this version, and the language on pregnancy and breastfeeding is unambiguously woman-centred.

Phew! I can stand down my corduroy jacket, tank top, tweed bags and pipe ensemble.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in