Talk

Advanced search

Flo & Joan - Russell Howard

(63 Posts)
SerendipityJane Sat 19-Dec-20 08:24:35

Only half caught it (might rewatch later) but caught something in their song about "trans" and "J K Rowling"

leaving it there, as it's quite a mainstream show ....

OP’s posts: |
OhMsBeliever Sat 19-Dec-20 08:29:27

Is that their 2020 song? Someone shared it on Facebook so I listened as some of their other stuff is quite amusing. And then I stopped it after they slagged JKR off. hmm

BaronessWrongCrowd Sat 19-Dec-20 08:46:28

I got to the bit about JKR and I'm afraid I had a sense of humour bypass -women's rights is a massive joke huh?

IMH they are not as witty or funny as they clearly think they are.

StrictlyAFemaleFemale Sat 19-Dec-20 08:57:35

Well I felt disappointed by that bit but the rest was good.

VictoriaLucas102 Sat 19-Dec-20 09:16:55

Yeah it was quite funny up to that point, then I just stopped listening. Probably not surprising really.

notnowdennis Sat 19-Dec-20 09:20:13

It’s gob shite virtue signalling... “oh aren’t twee, sweary and on point”

Prefer Fascinating Asda’s Christmas message...

zanahoria Sat 19-Dec-20 10:03:02

The new expert on trans rights is a wizard loving sham

Sit down JK Rowling

Off you piss to Azkaban

www.comedy.co.uk/online/videos/21551/flo-and-joan-the-2020-song/

donquixotedelamancha Sat 19-Dec-20 10:09:55

Flo and Joan are a pound shop Garfunkel and Oates.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCKpJkplwoU

DidoLamenting Sat 19-Dec-20 10:16:05

notnowdennis

It’s gob shite virtue signalling... “oh aren’t twee, sweary and on point”

Prefer Fascinating Asda’s Christmas message...

Love the autocucumber there but agreed on both points.

MichelleofzeResistance Sat 19-Dec-20 10:19:19

They are very woke. And MN is mentioned in a sneery way in another song. But whatevs, some of their stuff is quite funny and I don't need to agree with someone on everything in order to enjoy the bits of their work that I like.

BraveBananaBadge Sat 19-Dec-20 10:19:40

The problem is these kind of throwaway lines become the received wisdom and so it’s impossible to see the funny side. I was just listening to a radio play written by young people which included one line - just one - which clouded the whole thing. “I felt as uncomfortable as JK Rowling on the trans march”. A crap joke anyway, but only went to show the young writer had no genuine grasp of what JKR had ever said on the issue. Yet as that sort of attitude is passed on, people will just take it as read. It’s worrying, which is why I doubt there’s any way to make this funny. There’s something inherently unfair about it.

houseofstark Sat 19-Dec-20 10:27:33

Yeah I saw it on Facebook too but stopped it at the JKR reference.

I’ve liked some of their other songs but this one seemed more forced and it wasn’t as funny (before the JKR reference even).

Passmeabottlemrjones Sat 19-Dec-20 10:27:42

Yeah it's bullshit. Hardly anyone seems to have actually read what JKR said - presumably because she is a woman, and so isn't worthy of actually listening to and we have to take mens interpretation of it instead.

Pete Davidson on SNL said

“She creates a seven-book fantasy series about all types of mythical creatures living in harmony with wizards and elves and the one thing she can’t wrap her head around is Laverne Cox?”

When did she say anything to suggest she couldn't 'wrap her head around Laverne Cox'? confused

Passmeabottlemrjones Sat 19-Dec-20 10:29:11

Incidentally Flo and Joan are one of those acts where I open the video expecting to be pissing my pants laughing, and instead, at best raise a small smile.

donquixotedelamancha Sat 19-Dec-20 10:36:52

I'm afraid I had a sense of humour bypass

Why, did you laugh at Flo and Joan? If so, may I recommend Mrs Brown's Boys?

Does anyone know why their song (the first one I've put up with all the way through) is about America?

Biscuitsanddoombar Sat 19-Dec-20 10:40:49

Luckily Hugo rifkind’s 2020 review in the times gets it!

BaronessWrongCrowd Sat 19-Dec-20 10:41:27

donquixotedelamancha

*I'm afraid I had a sense of humour bypass*

Why, did you laugh at Flo and Joan? If so, may I recommend Mrs Brown's Boys?

Does anyone know why their song (the first one I've put up with all the way through) is about America?

I didn't actually find any of their song that funny. I was prepared to give them a go but nah, they aren't my cup of tea. Mrs Brown's boys is okish I suppose.

Biscuitsanddoombar Sat 19-Dec-20 10:42:42

And yes I agree with Banana- jkr being a ‘transphobe’ is now a zombie fact. It doesn’t matter how many times you show the factual evidence to the contrary, it’s too late now to change the perception :/

donquixotedelamancha Sat 19-Dec-20 10:43:21

I didn't actually find any of their song that funny. I was prepared to give them a go but nah, they aren't my cup of tea.

That's not a sense of humour failure, that's just having a sense of humour.

yourhairiswinterfire Sat 19-Dec-20 10:44:44

She creates a seven-book fantasy series about all types of mythical creatures living in harmony with wizards and elves and the one thing she can’t wrap her head around is Laverne Cox?

Does anyone else think this sounds like it's comparing Laverne to a mythical being?

Hailtomyteeth Sat 19-Dec-20 10:48:13

Liked this fellow on television, at first. Went to see his show. Nasty. Targeting people who were overweight (I recall particularly) and anyone not meeting his standards of perfection.
I'd be surprised if there's anything of value in work connected with him.

MissDollyMix Sat 19-Dec-20 10:48:22

They also make a reference to ‘Karen’s’ in that 2020 song. It’s just a piece of misogynistic nonsense.

aliasundercover Sat 19-Dec-20 10:54:32

Garfunkel and Oates

Ha! Very Good.

BaronessWrongCrowd Sat 19-Dec-20 10:55:21

* Liked this fellow on television, at first. Went to see his show. Nasty. Targeting people who were overweight (I recall particularly) and anyone not meeting his standards of perfection.*

Is that Russell Howard?

I really don't like him, I know others that do. Plus he's a fine one to talk, he has eyes that are far too close together in my humble opinion. Makes him look like George Bush Jnr.

Soontobe60 Sat 19-Dec-20 10:57:12

Ironic isn’t it that one line positively references women in Poland fighting for their rights, and another couple of lines that do the exact opposite. JKR is fighting for women’s rights. Women who do so are insulted and called Karens. They both need to grow up and get an eduction on women’s issues.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in