Talk

Advanced search

Ofcom to ensure that Misogyny is covered under Twitter policies - Joanna Cherry is a star

(26 Posts)
gardenbird48 Tue 15-Dec-20 13:58:26

parliamentlive.tv/event/index/26c3bc84-db86-4786-922e-5c567d04391c?in=13:41:54

I hope this link works ok - Joanna Cherry, the tireless star that she is, the House of Commons today asking the Culture Secretary if Ofcom will be forcing Twitter to include the protected characteristic of sex in their policy to enable women to report misogynistic abuse and have it acted on. There will be financial sanctions if they don't comply.

This is rather good news - obviously I'll believe it when I see it but at least he didn't come up with some waffle about how if we reported all cases of misogynistic abuse twitter would be overwhelmed (or something).

Go Joanna!

OP’s posts: |
queenofknives Tue 15-Dec-20 14:08:07

Well this would tear apart Twitter's whole business model, so let's see how that goes!

TheShadowyFeminist Tue 15-Dec-20 14:15:16

That's encouraging. Would like to see it in practice though. But still, it's a start

ErrolTheDragon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:25:07

Good - though you'd have hoped that 'protect the protected characteristics' would have been the automatic starting point, wouldn't you.

(I couldn't open that link)

ArabellaScott Tue 15-Dec-20 14:33:13

Wow. Can you imagine? I reckon it'd last about ten days.

ArabellaScott Tue 15-Dec-20 14:35:38

- Twitter, I mean. smile

ErrolTheDragon Tue 15-Dec-20 14:42:36

Which is about 10 more than it deserves.

There's a piece in the times today re SM platforms being told to protect children.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/social-media-firms-told-to-protect-children-or-face-huge-fines-bd5bx20rh?shareToken=12c73463d99d2bef591b08fa4f13c38a

HecatesCatsInXmasHats Tue 15-Dec-20 14:52:13

queenofknives

Well this would tear apart Twitter's whole business model, so let's see how that goes!

grinangry

PurpleHoodie Tue 15-Dec-20 15:07:15

Oh can we please, please make up a UK political party of all the cross party ethical politicians.

Babdoc Tue 15-Dec-20 15:14:41

What on earth is a sensible, gender critical woman like Cherry doing in the Woke Central SNP?! They don’t appreciate her and have tried to deselect her.
I hope she one day realises the benefits of remaining united with the rest of us in the UK, and leaves the separatist lunatic fringe to their unisex prisons, free speech ban, and failed education and economic policies.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 15-Dec-20 15:53:02

"What on earth is a sensible, gender critical woman like Cherry doing in the Woke Central SNP?!"

I expect she was there first, @Babdoc. Why should she cede what is hers to these entryists?

PurpleHoodie Tue 15-Dec-20 17:05:51

Very good point star

Abitofalark Tue 15-Dec-20 18:17:43

Cherry strongly favoured remaining in the EU which is also the SNP position.

littlbrowndog Tue 15-Dec-20 19:01:22

She is a Shero

gardenbird48 Tue 15-Dec-20 19:21:03

she just needs to get the message through to Ofcom (tasked with sorting out Twitter for this) who are working with Stonewall and have been informed by MP John Nicolson (deliberate lack of h) that the LGB Alliance are a transphobic hate group and organisations looking for 'balance' in their reporting of trans issues should be speaking to Stonewall to check on the list of approved 'balance providers'.

There is a thread on this that expands.

littlbrowndog Tue 15-Dec-20 19:23:41

Yes

gardenbird48 Tue 15-Dec-20 19:23:59

it does make me think - is this lobby in ALL the ears? Government (most central and most local), police, NHS, schools, most mainstream print and most broadcasting media, IPSO, BBC etc etc etc etc.

What other major regulators are there and have they been Stonewalled?

littlbrowndog Tue 15-Dec-20 19:29:12

All stonewalled. And given money to do it

They are a lobby group.

theskyispink Wed 16-Dec-20 16:40:09

Babdoc, most of the SNP membership is not woke. It's a loud minority of entryists and careerists who cling to wokedom in an effort to brand themselves down with the kids.

nosswith Wed 16-Dec-20 17:16:25

That would restrict a lot of what Mr Johnson could do, not that it would be a bad thing.

DidoLamenting Wed 16-Dec-20 22:57:00

WhereYouLeftIt

^"What on earth is a sensible, gender critical woman like Cherry doing in the Woke Central SNP?!"^

I expect she was there first, *@Babdoc*. Why should she cede what is hers to these entryists?

Why is anyone with any sense in the SNP?

thinkingaboutLangCleg Wed 16-Dec-20 23:25:06

Oh can we please, please make up a UK political party of all the cross party ethical politicians.

I’d be very inclined to vote for that. I’ve had it with gritting my teeth and voting Labour, or Green, because all the others are worse. The left is now so misogynistic that the others aren’t necessarily worse — and a party of ethical people who believe in science and won’t pay lip service to current fads would be well worth supporting.

Wbeezer Wed 16-Dec-20 23:52:30

Funnily enough we've been saying the same thing in Scotsnet, please can we have some sensible politicians with evidence based policies and no trendy soundbites.

NiceGerbil Thu 17-Dec-20 00:43:31

Ofcom is UK isn't it?

Twitter is USA.

They can ask but I don't see that they've got any teeth?

ErrolTheDragon Thu 17-Dec-20 00:55:22

NiceGerbil

Ofcom is UK isn't it?

Twitter is USA.

They can ask but I don't see that they've got any teeth?

Social media platforms aren't exempt from regulations of countries where they operate.
Here's an article from earlier in the year with what some other countries do

Social media: How do other governments regulate it? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47135058

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in