Talk

Advanced search

Mermaids 'deadnaming' Keira on their fb page

(74 Posts)
singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 20:52:15

Their legal person did a live stream on fb on the day of Keira's judgement.

It's entitled 'Quincy Bell v Tavistock Decision Q and A'

My understanding is that Keira used the alternative name Quincy when she identified as male.

What on earth are Mermaids doing referring to Keira Bell by this name this week?

Her name is Keira, Mermaids.

OP’s posts: |
LolaSmiles Thu 03-Dec-20 20:55:03

I thought that deadnaming was literal violence, or is it allowed when it's a good old fashioned woman?

joanwinifred Thu 03-Dec-20 20:56:50

LolaSmiles

I thought that deadnaming was literal violence, or is it allowed when it's a good old fashioned woman?

Only when it's done the other way around, I guess.

This is horrible.

singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 20:57:00

I don't know if Keira changed her name legally so maybe it was filed under her old name.

But surely Bell v Tavistock would show sympathy to her position even if it was filed under her previous name.

RealityNotEssentialism Thu 03-Dec-20 20:57:19

I found the judgment from the court and one of the claimants is listed as Quincy Bell, so presumably the court papers were filed in that name. Unsure why.

singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 20:58:31

RealityNotEssentialism

I found the judgment from the court and one of the claimants is listed as Quincy Bell, so presumably the court papers were filed in that name. Unsure why.

Yes, it's possible Keira legally changed her name.

Either way Mermaids know that she goes by Keira these days and given that they've not included Mrs A in this title this reeks of pure hatred and spite.

RealityNotEssentialism Thu 03-Dec-20 21:00:59

Yeah they’re twats (as always).

SquishySquirmy Thu 03-Dec-20 21:01:42

Might still be her legal name.
The people I know who have changed name (not for gender reasons) haven't bothered changing it legally, so although they are known at work, with friends etc as one name their passport still carries their old name.
Petty and hypocritical of Mermaids though to not use her preferred name though!

(Not relevant, but I love the name Quincy!)

yourhairiswinterfire Thu 03-Dec-20 21:01:50

singwhenyourewinningyouonly

I don't know if Keira changed her name legally so maybe it was filed under her old name.

But surely Bell v Tavistock would show sympathy to her position even if it was filed under her previous name.

I think it says Quincy at the beginning of the judgement?

That horrible GenderGP creature called her Quincy earlier too.

But it seems they're doing this to be deliberately petty, they know full well she goes by Keira.

OneEpisode Thu 03-Dec-20 21:02:36

Keira has spoken of the difficulty of changing back to her original identity.

mermaids title choice is just spite.

singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 21:02:56

There were two claimants. Why are they singling out Keira?

Redshoeblueshoe Thu 03-Dec-20 21:03:18

That poor woman.
Keira flowers

RealityNotEssentialism Thu 03-Dec-20 21:03:36

Deadnaming is fine for detransitioners apparently but if you mention the birth name of a certain Hollywood actress who was female until Tuesday, you’re committing literal violence.

singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 21:04:18

The hypocrisy and spite from this organisation is breathtaking.

yourhairiswinterfire Thu 03-Dec-20 21:05:48

Because they can't stand what she represents. How Keira was failed makes everyone involved in doing this to children look bad.

RealityNotEssentialism Thu 03-Dec-20 21:06:48

Presumably because they know who she is and see her as an easy target and are angry because she undermines everything they preach. Mrs A is anonymous.

Melroses Thu 03-Dec-20 21:08:39

Because their values are low.

DrDavidBanner Thu 03-Dec-20 21:09:41

Bunch of *ankers, this does not suprise me one bit.

They have the nerve to talk about the mental health of young GNC people and then pull shit like this.

user174635242 Thu 03-Dec-20 21:12:14

There is no such thing as a legal name in England, only the name you are known by.

thinkingaboutLangCleg Thu 03-Dec-20 21:14:51

Mermaids know that she goes by Keira these days and given that they've not included Mrs A in this title this reeks of pure hatred and spite.

Hatred and spite towards anyone who stands up to them — at least they’re being consistent.

ListeningQuietly Thu 03-Dec-20 21:15:24

Pick your battles.

Quincy is her legal name (see the ruling document)
www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Bell-v-Tavistock-Judgment.pdf

Mermaids are for once correct here

BettyDuKeiraBellisMyShero Thu 03-Dec-20 21:15:58

Helen Webberley does exactly the same on her Facebook live video.

Guess they must’ve decided on it deliberately because all the press have used Keira (even in the title of the case, which was officially in K’s legal name, which also the one on her birth certificate, thanks to legal fiction of the GRC, and the lack of any mechanism for Keira to annul it).

RealityNotEssentialism Thu 03-Dec-20 21:16:06

user174635242

There is no such thing as a legal name in England, only the name you are known by.

You can’t change the details on bank account or passport without evidence of legal name change, either through marriage or stat dec/deed poll. There’s nothing to stop you from calling yourself something else but this won’t be reflected on your documentation unless you change it.

singwhenyourewinningyouonly Thu 03-Dec-20 21:16:12

ListeningQuietly

Pick your battles.

Quincy is her legal name (see the ruling document)
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Bell-v-Tavistock-Judgment.pdf

Mermaids are for once correct here

But they're not referencing the judgment correctly as it's Quincy Bell and Mrs A versus Tavistock.

Not Quincy Bell versus Tavistock.

So why single her out?

ListeningQuietly Thu 03-Dec-20 21:18:25

You can’t change the details on bank account or passport without evidence of legal name change, either through marriage or stat dec/deed poll.
Bollocks.
You can call yourself whatever you like
and can as I legally do have passports in different names

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in