Talk

Advanced search

Irish school body shaming

(12 Posts)
SignedUpAgain Tue 24-Nov-20 15:29:56

Ha this been covered already?

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2020/11/24/anger-at-body-shaming-at-carlow-school/

OP’s posts: |
Coyoacan Tue 24-Nov-20 15:40:19

This sort of stuff has happened in a couple of English schools in the last couple of years and I must admit I am surprised and shocked. I went to school in Belfast in the 1960s and though we were told off for wearing our uniform skirts too short, there was never any mention or suggestion that it was because the male teachers were getting turned on by our bodies.

Barmbraic Tue 24-Nov-20 20:15:39

I saw this on both news talk and rte. Good to see it's getting wide coverage.

StillAFeminist Tue 24-Nov-20 21:35:36

That’s grim

peanut2017 Tue 24-Nov-20 21:37:25

Anyone have a link to the petition?

You can't make this stuff up

SignedUpAgain Tue 24-Nov-20 23:10:11

Haven't found a link to the petition yet, but saw that the boys are planning on wearing leggings to school in solidarity with the girls. Good for them.

OP’s posts: |
highame Wed 25-Nov-20 08:34:06

I really like this one. A bit of sunlight on the sexists grin

AryaStarkWolf Wed 25-Nov-20 11:32:54

Oh yeah it's all over the media here in Ireland which is great, besides the tracksuit pants issue someone else mentioned that boys were allowed to wear shorts for PE but the girls weren't....that's even more shocking imo, absolute disgrace, seriously is backwards we're going on women's rights/attitudes towards women and girls

FionaMacCool Wed 25-Nov-20 13:34:26

To be fair (and I have no connection with the school) I heard the Principal on Morning Ireland this morning (I turned up the radio to the groans of the kids in the back grin).

He agreed that girls had been brought into an assembly separately to the boys; but said that no staff had mentioned anything about teachers feeling uncomfortable. He reiterated several times that his door is open to any student who felt uncomfortable.

I got the sense that this story grew legs from the time that they had assembly to remind girls that they must wear their uniform track bottoms on PE days; and turned into stories about being too tight etc etc.

Dontbeme Wed 25-Nov-20 14:30:56

www.change.org/p/students-across-ireland-sexism-against-female-students-in-school-by-the-staff-and-students?redirect=false

Link to petition.

I read about the head denying it was about "too tight" kit and a reminder about correct uniform, but why separate according to sex then, why single out the girls, why not just a reminder letter or email to parents that students must be in correct uniform for PE or else detention or sent home?

i went to school in Carlow in the 1990's and back then we were being told not to remove our school jumpers when too hot as it may distract the boys if they saw the outline of our bras under our school shirts, this never ends does it.

AryaStarkWolf Wed 25-Nov-20 14:53:51

FionaMacCool

To be fair (and I have no connection with the school) I heard the Principal on Morning Ireland this morning (I turned up the radio to the groans of the kids in the back grin).

He agreed that girls had been brought into an assembly separately to the boys; but said that no staff had mentioned anything about teachers feeling uncomfortable. He reiterated several times that his door is open to any student who felt uncomfortable.

I got the sense that this story grew legs from the time that they had assembly to remind girls that they must wear their uniform track bottoms on PE days; and turned into stories about being too tight etc etc.

Well the students tell a different story, they say that they approached the Principle and he wouldn't discuss it with them. Are you suggesting all the female students are lying and he's the only one telling the truth?

FionaMacCool Wed 25-Nov-20 18:48:10

No, I'm not remotely suggesting that's the story Arya. I'm not sure how you took that from what I said.
I listened v closely to what he said, as I was disgusted with what I read on various sites yesterday, and had a bit of a tirade over dinner last night.

From what he said, it appears that there is a school uniform tracksuit. With Covid, children wear their PE gear to school for the full day on PE day- I know this to be true from my own DDs.
My own DDs try to get away with not wearing the uniform track bottoms, so I can imagine something similar in a school that is less than 100km from us.

I am suggesting that the story "grew legs" .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in