Talk

Advanced search

Charities worth donating to (that don't have a problem with women)?

(29 Posts)
ClosetGC Fri 20-Nov-20 19:49:35

My employer has a gift-matching programme whereby they will match any charity donations that I make through their platform (I mention this because things like crowd-funders for court cases would not qualify, and I donate to those separately). I'd like to make some donations, but I don't have a good system for deciding how best to donate. I'm also losing track of which charities have been lost to wokeism.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions of who (not) to donate to. They don't have to be charities aimed at women in particular (though they definitely can be!), but at the very least, I'd like to give my money to organisations that aren't trying to "erase" women. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
WildishBambino Fri 20-Nov-20 20:59:19

How about:
The Centre for Women's Justice
Nia Ending Violence

Merename Fri 20-Nov-20 21:25:29

Filia

Wigeon Fri 20-Nov-20 21:33:18

Do you have a local women’s centre? If you are in Hertfordshire I can recommend one to donate to! smile

LucretiaBourgeois Fri 20-Nov-20 21:48:58

If you're interested in international charities, Ethiopiaid does a lot of work with key issues for women and girls (access to education, domestic violence, child marriage, fgm, period poverty, maternal health etc) and I've never seen any suggestion that they don't know what a woman is.

niceberg Fri 20-Nov-20 22:32:46

Wigeon I'd be interested in knowing about that one. Can you message me?

HecatesCats Fri 20-Nov-20 22:37:27

Women for Women

https://womenforwomen.org.uk/

Southall Black Sisters

https://southallblacksisters.org.uk/news/in-support-of-a-womans-place-and-free-speech/

twoHopes Fri 20-Nov-20 22:46:45

I know of an amazing charity in Africa, set up and run entirely by local women, to provide education and refuge services for girls and women. It's a tiny charity so if I write the name here it'll be totally outing. But if you (or anyone else) are interested I can DM you the name.

They're going through a rough time financially this year because of covid so they could massively use the support.

Galvantula Fri 20-Nov-20 23:13:12

www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk.

smile

Bouledeneige Fri 20-Nov-20 23:46:13

Women's Aid - providing refuges and advice to women at risk and experiencing domestic abuse - literally saves lives of women and their children. First choice always. I've given to them during both lockdowns as I was so worried about the fate of woes trapped interior homes with abusers.

MondayYogurt Wed 02-Dec-20 14:51:39

Kidsout, Giving Tree - online this year https://www.kidsout.org.uk/contact-us/kidsout-links/

CrossPurposes Wed 02-Dec-20 14:58:37

Thank you in particular for the link to the Southall Black Sisters.

AuntieStella Wed 02-Dec-20 15:02:37

Wateraid

www.wateraid.org/uk/

It's a crying shame that there are parts of the world where the basics of clean water and basic sanitation are not available. And you'll see they feature the disproportionate impact on women and girls as their first case history

Babdoc Thu 03-Dec-20 09:31:00

Womankind Worldwide. No problem with the word “woman”. Campaigning against FGM, child marriage, domestic violence. Helping women organise, providing legal advice, working with grass roots women’s groups in third world etc. Well worth supporting.

happybabyunit Thu 03-Dec-20 09:43:52

I totally agree! It's so taboo now to proudly support women but automatically the Marsha P Johnson institute comes to mind! Also Bloody Good Period!

SussexBonfireViking Thu 03-Dec-20 09:46:19

Bouledeneige

Women's Aid - providing refuges and advice to women at risk and experiencing domestic abuse - literally saves lives of women and their children. First choice always. I've given to them during both lockdowns as I was so worried about the fate of woes trapped interior homes with abusers.

is this the right website, www.womensaid.org.uk/

I'm not receiving gifts from my family this year, and have asked they spend what they would have on me on themselves in lieu of a gift from me, and i will donate to a charity.

Nowayhozay Thu 03-Dec-20 11:19:36

I always give to Crisis at this time of year, I believe they make a real difference to men and women who are often at their lowest this time of year. A shower, hair done, warm dry clothes and a decent hot Christmas dinner. As well as health checks, employment and housing advice.

Xiaoxiong Thu 03-Dec-20 11:34:30

I'm a trustee of a small kitchen table charity called the Mvumi School Trust - we raise money for bursaries and facilities for sighted and visually impaired children attending a disability inclusive school in Tanzania, one of the few with a visually impaired unit allowing for inclusive education. The positive effects of inclusive education go even further than you would think as visual impairment in Tanzania is often caused by albinism, which often results in stigma and exclusion.

We most certainly know who girls are because we have to raise around 50% more money for a girl's bursary than we do for a boy. The extra money goes to supporting the families who are losing their daughter's labour in the home when they go to school. Otherwise many families wouldn't allow their girls to go to school at all. Generally school staff have to visit the families of girls to persuade them to allow girls to continue their education - families of boys need no convincing, of course.

If you'd consider supporting us that would be amazing!!

SorryPleaseTryAgain Thu 03-Dec-20 21:41:02

Another vote for Filia!

ARoombaOfOnesOwn Thu 03-Dec-20 21:45:51

I think Bloody Good Period are woke.

Thecazelets Thu 03-Dec-20 21:56:03

Homestart help vulnerable families with children under 5. By default that means a lot of women, many of whom will be single parents.

I also donate to BPAS and Women's Aid.

Conniethesensible Thu 03-Dec-20 22:28:47

United World Schools educate girls in areas where they’d otherwise not receive an education

slug Thu 03-Dec-20 22:34:10

I support the Abortion Support Network

StillWeRise Thu 03-Dec-20 22:51:56

I came across this charity recently
aafda.org.uk/
advocacy after fatal domestic abuse- not exclusive to women (but by its nature will be predominantly about women- and no signs of wokery
and this charity-
www.beyondfgm.com/
has been very successful protecting girls from fgm in a very isolated part of the world

cheeseismydownfall Thu 03-Dec-20 23:53:50

There is always JKR's charity, Lumos. Pretty certain that know what a woman/girl is!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in