Talk

Advanced search

Just one in seven rape survivors expect justice???

(2 Posts)
WagnersFourthSymphony Tue 20-Oct-20 02:56:33

I am v suspicious of these figures, can't credit that so many expect justice, or that only 'a third do not report rapes to police'
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/oct/20/just-one-in-seven-rape-survivors-expect-justice-england-wales
If so many expect justice then it's the proverbial triumph of hope over experience, because other research shows a one seventy chance of your complaint ending in a charge.
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/17/one-in-70-recorded-rapes-in-england-and-wales-led-to-charge-last-year?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

In fact, the Guardian story itself contradicts the headline, reporting that in total 12% of the respondents saw their case go to trial despite the fact that in England and Wales overall only about 1.5% of rape reports proceed to trial.

I would like to know how the victims' commissioner carried out this survey. Oh, it was a self-selecting survey of 491 rape survivors.
www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/national-news/18806601.just-one-seven-rape-survivors-confident-getting-justice-survey-suggests/
Why didn't The Guardian say so?
This sort of sloppy reporting is all we need.

It's a vanishingly small percentage of people who are raped who will report it, and a vanishingly small percentage of those whose case will go to trial.

Someone will be along soon to provide the woefully low percentage of convictions. Meanwhile, In 2019-20, 1,439 suspects in cases where a rape had been alleged were convicted of rape or another crime - half the number three years ago.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53588705

OP’s posts: |
WagnersFourthSymphony Tue 20-Oct-20 03:03:20

Sorry, this is the final stat I meant to post:
Overall prosecutions - which include those that end in an acquittal - also peaked in 2016-17, with 5,190 completed cases - but dropped to 2,102 last year.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53588705

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in