Talk

Advanced search

Page 8 | The NHS is run by misogynists, say women forced to give birth alone

(191 Posts)
MillyMollyFarmer Sun 20-Sep-20 13:54:00

Tory MP Alicia Kearns has been running a campaign to make all NHS trusts change the policies around women giving birth and for pregnancy check ups during Covid. It’s horrific but I didn’t realise it was still ongoing now. This includes women who have lost their babies and have to proceed with the process alone as partners wait outside. I’m so utterly horrified at the inhumane way they are dealing with this. It’s unnecessary. Apparently Boris has backed calls but some trusts are just ignoring women’s requests. I find this so upsetting.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8751493/How-one-pregnant-MP-fighting-stop-trauma-lone-births-caused-Covid-rules.html

OP’s posts: |
LittleTiger007 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:01:16

Yes minimise footfall. I see the reasoning behind that. So that should mean BOTH parents present. Leave it at that. No grandparents, aunts, uncles, best friends etc unless there is no partner.
Many studies have shown for best outcome the woman needs a partner/support person present.

MillyMollyFarmer Mon 21-Sep-20 13:03:34

Nor do you get to police a thread. I can come on and talk about kittens if I want, you don't get to decide that.

I suggest you read talk guidelines, as you actually can’t.

MillyMollyFarmer Mon 21-Sep-20 13:05:16

An HCP isn’t the priority, the patient and their welfare is. The guidelines allow a birthing partner. The campaign is about ensuring all trusts follow guidelines.

LittleTiger007 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:11:40

@MillyMollyFarmer here here! Sing it from the rooftops.

ArticulateYourLife Mon 21-Sep-20 13:12:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ArticulateYourLife Mon 21-Sep-20 13:14:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bythehairsonmychinichinchin Mon 21-Sep-20 13:16:28

An HCP isn’t the priority, the patient and their welfare is. The guidelines allow a birthing partner. The campaign is about ensuring all trusts follow guidelines

The knock on effect is that midwives and MSWs are over stretched (especially as there’s staff shortages) which impacts both the mother and baby’s welfare.

LittleTiger007 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:30:46

Please explain how a midwife becomes overstretched because my husband is by my side?

I mean I know they are over stretched. That’s a given. But because an extra body is there holding my hand or rubbing my back??

MillyMollyFarmer Mon 21-Sep-20 13:32:07

LittleTiger I think bythehair means that not having a birthing partner means an increase in workload for HCPs

LittleTiger007 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:34:49

Ok. Sorry. That makes much more sense!

bythehairsonmychinichinchin Mon 21-Sep-20 13:35:04

@LittleTiger007 yes millymollyfarmer is correct. I meant the knock on effect by not allowing birth partners to attend births and stay on the postnatal wards.

bythehairsonmychinichinchin Mon 21-Sep-20 13:41:05

The ultimate impact is birth trauma and midwives, MSWs also experience this too.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pregnancy-coronavirus-women-choices-changed-b469021.html?fbclid=IwAR3z8ccsAPBn7LZov_zyMWOh990816eAP3tpZgGBbpr2T_1cNKwwR147TJo

www.makebirthbetter.org/what-is-birth-trauma

www.makebirthbetter.org/trauma-support-for-professionals

MillyMollyFarmer Mon 21-Sep-20 13:46:06

Thanks so much for those links

LittleTiger007 Mon 21-Sep-20 14:12:34

Interesting... if harrowing reads. Thanks for those links @bythehairsonmychinichinchin

bythehairsonmychinichinchin Mon 21-Sep-20 17:16:39

Posted a few minutes ago, in case anyone reading is interested getting involved...

jellybeanbonbon Mon 21-Sep-20 19:28:26

Re the female workforce in hospitals/maternity care, a lot of the passionate posts about lowering restrictions/allowing partners in more I’ve seen on social media are from midwives

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in