Talk

Advanced search

The New York Times archives - June 10, 1979 - Thomas Szasz - Male and Female Created He Them

(5 Posts)
NonnyMouse1337 Tue 08-Sep-20 10:04:30

Dr EM unearthed this amazing article.

www.nytimes.com/1979/06/10/archives/male-and-female-created-he-them-transexual.html?s=08

I wonder if the actual title is 'Male and Female He Created Them' and the digitization process has mangled it a bit, but either way it is well worth reading.

twitter.com/PankhurstEM/status/1262998969627615232?s=20

OP’s posts: |
MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Tue 08-Sep-20 10:15:58

It's a quote from the book of Genesis in the Bible, so the syntax is a bit odd 'so God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them'.

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 08-Sep-20 10:20:32

Thank you! Makes more sense now even though the syntax is still odd. My brain keeps insisting on reading it as 'he created' instead of 'created he'. smile

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Tue 08-Sep-20 10:29:03

Thanks for sharing. I found myself agreeing with every point. This in particular

'^The “transsexual empire” is thus a Trojan horse in the battle between the sexes, helping men to seduce unsuspecting women, or women who ought to know better, to join forces with their oppressors^'

seemed apt. It's a shame that we're still having this same conversation more than forty years later.

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 08-Sep-20 10:34:51

Yes, very striking how all the points raised in the article are the exact same conversations being had today. I found the ending prescient too.

The war between the sexes is a part of our, human heritage. It's no use denying It. If that war ever ends, it will be not because of a phony armistice arranged by doctors, but because men, women and children will place personal dignity before social sex‐role identity.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in