Talk

Advanced search

Kamala Harris

(293 Posts)
Xanthangum Tue 11-Aug-20 21:48:15

... has been selected as Joe Biden's running mate.

Important for all sorts of reasons I feel

twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1293281838337871875?s=20

OP’s posts: |
OvaHere Tue 11-Aug-20 22:22:56

I had a feeling it would be Kamala (along with a lot of other people!)

Will be interesting to see the reception she gets from her own side - it's probably a given the other side aren't keen.

GuyFawkesDay Tue 11-Aug-20 22:23:25

Bloody love that woman. Great choice.

Xanthangum Tue 11-Aug-20 22:36:29

Not sure what to make of the she/her in her twitter bio. But in the grand scheme of things I'm happy to overlook...

OP’s posts: |
LouHotel Tue 11-Aug-20 22:43:41

I really like her but thought she would be pick for AG.

I didn't think she would get it as california isn't a state in play but then I guess it makes her Senate seat safe and they desperately need the Senate.

Durgasarrow Wed 12-Aug-20 01:08:39

I think she'll be an excellent choice. She's been raked over the coals recently, but I think she's tough, competent, and really smart.

FWRLurker Wed 12-Aug-20 04:37:34

Was my hoped for choice! Very pleased. Strong, great leader. Likely also to get trump saying a lot of sexist things, he cant help himself with women in authority. He already called her “Nasty“ today if I heard right.

AMCoffeePMWine Wed 12-Aug-20 05:33:57

I want to be happy, really I do. But here’s her niece Meena Harris, which makes me concerned

Delphinium20 Wed 12-Aug-20 06:33:18

@AMCoffeePMWine Sadly, I'd say that Kamela may or may not think the whole new age gender stuff is bizarre, but we'll never know if she is like many of us with younger woke relatives...just nod and roll our eyes. She probably won't rock the boat as she's supposed to be a young counterpart to Biden. She's not terribly progressive so the pronouns are an easy nod to some of the Bernie bros who like to threaten to not vote Biden...which will give us Trump for 4 more years. I may be GC and I center women and children in my politics, but, as an American, I feel like we owe the world a Trump defeat - so whatever she can do to get more votes on the Biden ticket, I'll support her. After the election I'll send her note about real feminism vs the handmaiden kind.

PlanDeRaccordement Wed 12-Aug-20 06:42:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

borntobequiet Wed 12-Aug-20 08:06:35

Well that’s nice. Not. I expect we’ll see loads more of those slurs over the next few months.

NearlyGranny Wed 12-Aug-20 08:31:50

This sounds like the sort of slur that is uttered against many a successful woman by spiteful tongues, Plan.

Are women really still obliged to be either safely married or celibate throughout their careers? Neither of them was cheating on anybody and Harris was called to the bar before ever working with Brown. Or do you suggest a woman of her pedigree somehow earned her law qualifications 'horizontally' too?

Your comments leave a very nasty misogynistic taste behind.

NearlyGranny Wed 12-Aug-20 08:36:16

I've reported PlanDeRaccordement's sleazy post for its offensive, misogynistic nature.

BertiesLanding Wed 12-Aug-20 08:37:44

I'm not sure that something factual can be misogynistic. Are women above criticism? That feels a bit woke-left to me.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 12-Aug-20 08:38:36

Sorry, but a woman who literally slept her way up is the opposite of a feminist choice.

Sorry??? That undermines your point. Don't be sorry. If you believe something state it, don't PA it!

And 'slept her way up' or 'had a few consensual relationships with men not in other relationships'.

The Virgin/Whore complex is an unlovely thing, no matter who holds it!

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 12-Aug-20 08:40:55

I'm not sure that something factual can be misogynistic. Are women above criticism? That feels a bit woke-left to me Erm, not sure that's what Granny said. It's the age old hipocrasy: Super Stud : Sleazy Whore

As if a woman couldn't gain a position of meaning without using her sex to gain it: All that is Evil is Eve... crass stupidity!

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 12-Aug-20 08:42:22

with men whether or not in other relationships Ooops! missed a bit!

Again, women are to blame for the actions of men!

Tanith Wed 12-Aug-20 08:50:08

Perhaps discuss Kamala Harris' credentials for becoming vice-president instead of being side-tracked by irrelevant rumours?

How would she compare with Pence?

HoneysuckIejasmine Wed 12-Aug-20 08:55:05

If she can get the Bernie Bros on side then great! She's an admirable woman all round imo.

Staggered at the people on twitter accusing Biden of having dementia and sniffing hair. Have they seen Trump?? It's bizarre. No, neither man is ideal, but on scales of awfulness, it's no competition.

No doubt, we need an overhaul of how "democracy" works in developed countries.

NearlyGranny Wed 12-Aug-20 09:04:08

I'm glad Plan's post is gone. Did you read it, Bertie? 'Factual' it was not!

quixote9 Wed 12-Aug-20 09:12:10

(Good grief re the slept her way to the top BS. Notice who's at the top. And what's his name, Willie Brown?, never got further than whatever local office he had. That is a very D. U. M. B comment.)

I voted for Harris in her first election for California AG, which she won by a tiny margin (about 30,000? votes in a state of 34,000,000). She was brilliant then, really proved herself as AG, and was also a brilliant campaigner in the primary. She'll continue making mince out of Trump. Her debating Pence should be turned into a comedy special. She's the sorely needed talent that Biden pushed out of her rightful top slot by deciding he'd take up that space.

Sad thing is, enough US voters are sufficiently sexist that there's a good chance having a white male fossil at the top of the ticket was necessary to Dump Trump. That burns. But it's vital to move the criminal psychopath to a padded cell.

DuDuDuLangaLangaBingBong Wed 12-Aug-20 09:14:39

Damn.
I wanted Tulsi Gabbard or Tammy Duckworth.

Kamala’s history as a prosecutor is going to get hauled over the coals - very bad timing with BLM.

NearlyGranny Wed 12-Aug-20 09:18:11

Trump has apparently said that "Some men will be offended" by Biden's choice.

Not as many as the women - and men - who were offended at his!

The entitlement is breathtaking. Or is having to choose a President from among the minority group with a Y chromosome just one of those self-evident truths we hear about?

QuantamBaby Wed 12-Aug-20 09:19:11

I think it's a fantastic choice - Kamala is a great debater, talented politician and a breath of fresh air.

BelleHathor Wed 12-Aug-20 09:37:46

Tulsi said it best during the debates last year. This election will be a doozy, her pick satisfies establishment Dems/Donors and Twitter blue ticks but fails to read the electorate again (just like the shenanigans pulled on Bernie in 2016 and Tulsi this cycle)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1-CRrMDSLs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNWZTFgaqg
www.vox.com/platform/amp/2019/8/30/20840530/tulsi-gabbard-dnc-september-debate-exclusion
www.businessinsider.com/dnc-made-it-impossible-tulsi-gabbard-make-the-next-debate-2020-3?amp&r=US&IR=T

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in