Talk

Advanced search

Interesting, nuanced, discussion on Reddit (yes really!)

(7 Posts)
TBHno Mon 10-Aug-20 00:03:52

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/i6fs9h/elevatedratess_ofautismm_otherneurodevelopmental/?utmm_source=share&utmmedium=ioss_app&utm_name=iossmf

I hope I've copied it right. I'm on my iPad.

Basically, the science Reddit is having a well-researched, balanced, nuanced discussion on a recent article about transgenderism.

I'm just shocked that it's still standing!

OP’s posts: |
FWRLurker Mon 10-Aug-20 02:42:51

Archive it. Won’t be very long until it’s just Pages of “deleted”

Cwenthryth Mon 10-Aug-20 07:15:25

So predictable....!

Smurftastic Mon 10-Aug-20 08:56:52

Yeah lots of comments getting deleted now. You can't have a debate on reddit anymore. I deleted my account last month, misogynistic b*stards.

TBHno Mon 10-Aug-20 10:10:36

Oh dear. I just had a look this morning and the thread has turned into Swiss cheese overnight. That's a shame as it had been a really interesting discussion sad

OP’s posts: |
thehumanformerlyknownasfemale Mon 10-Aug-20 10:32:42

Reddit's only going to piss more and more people off it keeps deleting them for talking sense or asking questions. They're opening a lot of eyes to the madness of it all.

It happened on the PCOS sub, the periods sub, pregnancy, truelesbians, and they're trying it on in the gay sub. A lot of people from those ended up finding Gender Critical before it got banned, and got their eyes opened some more.

If I didn't know better, I'd think the Reddit mods were deliberately trying to peak people.

GrolliffetheDragon Mon 10-Aug-20 11:07:19

Interesting discussion. These two quotes jumped out at me:

Like for me I'm autistic and trans and for me thats because in my brain i don't feel like I'm a boy or a girl, I'm just a person

and

A NT person might feel shamed for having gender-divergent interests, and suppress those interests as a result, leading to more rigid gender conformity. A person with ASD might not feel that shame or have any motivation to suppress their interests and self-expression, and instead say "well if being a boy means I have to be X, and I'm actually Y, then maybe I'm not a boy"

I'm not (as far as I know!) on the autistic spectrum. I just feel like me in my head rather than male or female, and I've had 'gender divergent' interests that I've not suppressed despite having the piss taken out of me when I was school because of it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in