Talk

Advanced search

Find the word 'father' in this article on the impact of homeschooling

(7 Posts)
aliasundercover Wed 08-Jul-20 12:57:29

I'm not surprised by this at all. Men in full time employment work more hours than women in full time employment ( about an hour per day more), and many more women work part time.

ByGrabtharsHammerWhatASavings Wed 08-Jul-20 12:42:10

I'm in a lockdown learning/homeschooling group on Facebook. Recently the admins posted that out of their 1.1 million members, 93% are women. Obviously even 7% of 1.1M is still quite a lot of men, but its pointless to try and argue that women haven't been doing the lions share of this.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 08-Jul-20 12:40:55

It's certainly honest, I suppose. DH started out doing more of the homeschooling as I'm rubbish with tech and can't speak Welsh, but it's fallen increasingly to me as my job is just more flexible. And yes, there have been tears.

cheeseismydownfall Wed 08-Jul-20 12:38:06

I've also observed that the various social media campaigns that are challenging the government's response to homeschooling etc have all without exception been started by women (there may be others out there of course, but I haven't seen them).

OP’s posts: |
cheeseismydownfall Wed 08-Jul-20 12:35:35

@angelopal, likewise in our house DH has proved himself to be much better at homeschooling and it is probably split around 50/50 (with me doing more of the planning/organising and him doing more of the delivery).

I suspect our experiences are not those of the majority, though. The point I was making (I think!) was about how casually the article slipped from homeschooling being an issue that impacts parents, to betraying the reality that it disproportionally impacts mothers.

angelopal Wed 08-Jul-20 12:23:18

DH has done on the majority of our home schooling as he has more flexibility in his job.

cheeseismydownfall Wed 08-Jul-20 12:11:54

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53319615

Interesting that when they are discussing things in the abstract, they use the word 'parents'. But when it comes to the actual voices of these parents who have been impacted, they are all 'mothers'.

The group, Sept for Schools, says it has heard from parents reduced to tears as they balance work with educating.

I wonder how many fathers have been placed under so much pressure that they have been reduced to tears?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in