Talk

Advanced search

The Cumberlege Review

(9 Posts)
RoyalCorgi Tue 07-Jul-20 10:29:58

Tomorrow sees the publication of the Cumberlege review into three medicines/medical devices where patients raised concerns that were ignored by doctors:

* The hormone pregnancy test Primodos
* Anti-epileptic drug sodium valproate
* Vaginal mesh

When I say "patients" I mean women. You know, the ones with vulvas and vaginas and wombs and ovaries.

The first two drugs are believed to have caused disabilities in the children of pregnant women. The third one was a medical implant that caused excruciating pain in some women. Their complaints to doctors were largely ignored and brushed off as being in the mind.

Do we need to say it again? Women are oppressed on the basis of their biology. Biology is a reality. Womanhood is not a feeling in someone's head.

OP’s posts: |
Winesalot Tue 07-Jul-20 10:36:28

It will be an interesting read

gardenbird48 Tue 07-Jul-20 10:42:57

It’s shocking isn’t it - we see it time and again - with conditions like endometriosis and diagnosis taking a ridiculous amount of time because the women ‘imagine’ the pain. How someone thought it was low risk to put some plastic mesh inside such a key and non-skeletal area of the body (not the best description but I’m thinking it could work ok when used to stabilise a ligament or joint for example). Trouble is they actually know so little about women’s medical issues compared with men - all drug testing is done on men. I think women need to shout louder about this.

HeistSociety Tue 07-Jul-20 10:44:56

I'm pretty sure there was a successful class action re vaginal mesh in Au? So I can't imagine the report in that at least will be glowing.

Cascade220 Tue 07-Jul-20 10:49:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoyalCorgi Tue 07-Jul-20 11:02:38

Yes, of course. I think there will be quite a bit of press coverage too. There was an item about it on Woman's Hour today and tomorrow they're interviewing Julia Cumberlege about it.

OP’s posts: |
JellySlice Tue 07-Jul-20 11:50:06

Is vaginal mesh the same mesh that is used to repair hernias?

Cascade220 Tue 07-Jul-20 11:51:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhHolyJesus Tue 07-Jul-20 11:53:09

Place marking for the published report.

I saw a doc on Netflix which covered the vaginas mesh story/lawsuit. It was appalling.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in