Talk

Advanced search

Is using Gender instead of Sex in Equalities Act info transphobic?

(9 Posts)
Witchlight Thu 02-Jul-20 12:44:02

If we see Gender used anywhere that Sex would be appropriate, is it transphobic? Should we complain on this basis?

Sex and Gender are no longer interchangeable. They used to be and a lot of people have become used to using them interchangeably. Some extremists have utilised this habit to sneak in unintended consequences and attempt to water down sex based rights.

If sex and gender now mean different things, surely we need to make sure organisations, government and the media use the correct term.

Sex exists. It cannot be changed. The law creates a legal fiction of a change sex to align with personal feeling, gender. People live a life as if they were an alternative sex.

If we continue to allow sex and gender to be used interchangeably, we are denying that gender identity and feelings are real. We are denying trans people’s identity!

We need to lobby all organisations who have used gender for sex in policy documents and shame them for denying trans identity (looking at you Stonewall) and get them to stop conflating sex with gender.

OP’s posts: |
SerenityNowwwww Thu 02-Jul-20 14:09:00

I was looking for some info today and this was from the gvt site.

Witchlight Thu 02-Jul-20 14:58:09

Exactly! By using gender to replace sex, they are denying they are different things. If they are using gender as a polite way of saying sex, they are denying that both sex and gender (identity) exist. Surely that is transphobic and exclusionary.....

SerenityNowwwww Thu 02-Jul-20 15:14:59

I was made redundant when I was on maternity leave - now it wasn’t because of this (the offices closed down and we were all out on our ears) but this doesn’t even seem to address the issue of women + pregnancy/having to look after family etc

Al1Langdownthecleghole Thu 02-Jul-20 15:51:54

It can discriminate against women and fudge statistics. For example, the "gender" pay gap is supposed to show what women are being paid compared with men who do similar work. Clearly this won't be accurate if some of the women retain the benefit of male privilege.

I don't understand why you think it is transphobic though OP - is it not factphobic or biologyphobic?

Witchlight Thu 02-Jul-20 17:40:26

Sorry, I’m being a little tongue in cheek. I had just sent an email to a government department asking why they couldn’t get the equalities act right. I pointed out that it doesn’t help the current (toxic) debate, if they can’t get the basics right. That even if they think TWAW, this doesn’t mean TWAF (females) and that it is organisations like theirs who are making females worry for their much needed protection, thus fanning the strife and causing both females and transwomen anxiety. thus their actions are hurting the people they are trying to help.

It struck me that by using sex and gender interchangeably gives the impression they are the same. If so, that implies gender is aligned to sex, which denies transgenderism. That’s pretty transphobic to me. Not

Witchlight Thu 02-Jul-20 17:41:05

Ignore the “not” I deleted a sentence

Apileofballyhoo Thu 02-Jul-20 18:55:47

The whole thing is getting very muddled. I saw a thread on Twitter yesterday where people were saying it was transphobic to misgender 'cis' people, and that many 'cis' women are also victims of transphobia.

Apileofballyhoo Thu 02-Jul-20 23:37:00

The madness of it all. This is the thread I was referring too. I'm beginning to wonder if drag is a form of transphobia...

mobile.twitter.com/BasicBitching/status/1278377502969380872

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in