Talk

Advanced search

So sick of this

(159 Posts)
QuentinWinters Sat 16-May-20 23:06:22

Was reading about a woman who has been charged with murder after human remains were found in a suitcase (Gareeca Gordon)
One article I read said "Gordon, of Salisbury Road, Birchfield, Birmingham, spoke only to confirm his name, address, date of birth, and Jamaican nationality"

Most of the articles have been corrected now to her (google helped me). I'm so suspicious though. It seems a very male crime and I don't trust the reporting, which is entirely down to "gender identity".

QuentinWinters Sat 16-May-20 23:07:47

Oh, should say it's not helped that there are photos of the male co-defendant but not gordon.

ScapaFlo Sat 16-May-20 23:22:40

I heard this headline on the 5pm news and immediately thought 'woman'? Really? Such a rare crime for a woman. But it is possible. I'll wait and see.

WelshMoth Sat 16-May-20 23:35:02

It's come to something that 'peaked'
Women will instantly become suspicious of violent crimes committed by women. The media are cannot be trusted.

testing987654321 Sat 16-May-20 23:42:24

I did the same thing. It's what happens when you can't trust the most basic information reported.

TehBewilderness Sat 16-May-20 23:49:58

Future historians will puzzle over the mysterious spike in violent crimes committed by women and girls in the early 21st century. When they dig a bit deeper I expect they will roll their eyes while writing papers on the herculean effort that must be made to correct the historical record.

OccasionalKite Sun 17-May-20 00:01:10

Yes, indeed,

I had the same reaction today, when I read: www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/leah-harvey-caerphilly-sex-offender-18256962

Headline: "Woman who 'bragged about being a paedophile' approached boys at Remembrance event"

Three-quarters of the way down the page, after "her" and "she" all the way, we get to:

"Leah Harvey, formerly Joshua Harvey, 25, who is in HM Parc Prison in Bridgend, admitted two breaches of a sexual harm prevention order."

So - it was a man, all along. It is completely disgraceful that this male piece of shit has been reported as being a woman.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 17-May-20 00:28:41

I assumed this was no ordinary woman. Such is modern life.

testing987654321 Sun 17-May-20 00:30:33

Not another one? Ffs.

SarahTancredi Sun 17-May-20 00:33:21

So how come they can put them in a male prison however we have to have them added to female crime stats?

Takes the fucking piss

#notourcrimes.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 17-May-20 00:34:06

There was also a case in Blackpool I think - bomb threats? A woman...

SarahTancredi Sun 17-May-20 00:34:07

That was about the second article linked

SarahTancredi Sun 17-May-20 00:49:25

Oh and * quentin*

Have found an article using the male pronoun confused

Notdonna Sun 17-May-20 00:53:45

I also thought ‘really? A woman?’ I’m very concerned about skewed stats.

Goosefoot Sun 17-May-20 01:07:43

I will say that without the business about names, I wouldn't particularly question that this type of crime might have been done by a woman. It's not as common as a man doing it, but it's not very common at all to hide remains in a suitcase like that either.

Murders that involve beating people up or mass murders, and sex crimes, I do wonder. I think I'd wonder about a bomb threat too though I have no idea what the stats on that might really be. I might be influenced too much by television crime shows on that one.

The stats issue is very worrying, and it continues to flummox me why people don't see that.

OvaHere Sun 17-May-20 01:20:54

Every time I see a report of a violent and/or sexual crime committed by a woman I assume it's actually a man and the so called journalism is a fabrication.

Of course on a few occasions it will have actually have been a female person but it's become so common place now I just assume I'm being lied to from the outset.

TehBewilderness Sun 17-May-20 02:46:12

I have noticed that when the perp is a man the news headline rarely makes mention of it. If a woman, or a person who identifies as a woman, they make a point of mentioning it in the headline.

bettybeans Sun 17-May-20 03:53:56

The Gareeca Gordon story jumped out at me too. Heaps of pics of the man charged with assisting an offender (Mahesh Sorathiya) but none of the woman charged with actual murder. Strange.

Antibles Sun 17-May-20 05:09:26

Oh FFS, really? I did think to myself that it was an unusually cold blooded cover up job for a woman, the whole body in suitcase and off to another location etc. So articles said 'his' but were corrected to 'her'? Do hope someone can find out more.

flowers for the victim and family.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 17-May-20 08:59:09

I haven’t seen a lot of coverage. Maybe news outlets are deciding how to report it? They’d usually jump at a gruesome story like that.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 17-May-20 09:00:14

I wonder how this would be played out in the justice/prison system in Jamaica, although this person would never be sent back would they?

endofthelinefinally Sun 17-May-20 09:03:39

That was my first thought too when I heard the brief report on the news.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 17-May-20 09:08:45

It’s always my ‘first thought’ these days to be honest.

happydappy2 Sun 17-May-20 09:34:05

Am also sick of the lies, journalists should report facts not fiction

Ereshkigalangcleg Sun 17-May-20 10:03:00

Lots more here https://youtu.be/PZiADylIG1U

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »