Talk

Advanced search

CSA used to financially abuse women

(7 Posts)
Gingerkittykat Sat 04-Apr-20 02:31:25

Article [[ inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/child-maintenance-system-economic-abuse-2520578 here]]

It doesn't surprise me at all, my ex owes thousands and it wasn't until I got my MP involved that they suddenly cared, but even then the payments were sporadic due to him job-hopping. The payment schedule for the next year is 0 per month so he is somehow managing to appear as if he has no income, even if he was on benefits I would get a token amount.

The CMS doesn't use their existing powers to penalise the (mostly) men who don't pay. I wonder if there is any political will to change this situation at all.

OP’s posts: |
HeyDuggeesCakeBadge Sat 04-Apr-20 10:59:59

It's absolutely awful. I read that many women still feel trapped and abused by their ex partners due to the system and no one seems to have any appetite to change this. This situation is exacerbating this and I am really really worried that many women and children are going to be left in abject poverty (more so) following this crisis.

QuestaVecchiaCasa Sat 04-Apr-20 14:36:51

I've said this before but if I were in charge, I would increase the time that the non-paying parent had to wait for their State Retirement Pension if they don't co-operate with the CSA/CMS.

Michelleoftheresistance Sat 04-Apr-20 15:56:45

And in other news, it's been discovered that children like the taste of chips better than carrots...

Drives me mad when women suffer this sort of thing for years, their solicitors see it, judges hear about it, no one gives a damn and then suddenly 'oh look, there's a problem'. It's like court procedure is frequently used by abusers to further abuse women in court, and contact is frequently used by abusers to further abuse and harm ex female partners, not infrequently by using abuse and hurt and even murder of their children in the name of control and causing her all the hurt they can manage.

It gets brought to public knowledge, sometimes even papers get written on it, and then bugger all actually changes for women living it. Having a child with an abuser really is an 18 year sentence with no time off for good behaviour.

Crabonastick Sat 04-Apr-20 16:01:54

Don’t even get me started OP. It’s disgusting. I’m equally disgusted with the military who have the option to not comply with the deductions of earnings request and chose not to send payments over from my (desk bound) ex. The CMS won’t explore any other avenue either.

I actually sent my ex a proposal over a week ago for a payment plan (less than the CMS calculated amount and wiping off over 50% of arrears), he’s choosing to ignore my email now.

Can you imagine how strictly child maintenance would be enforced if it was mainly women paying and men receiving?!

Gingerkittykat Sat 04-Apr-20 16:28:51

I'm shocked the military don't comply, I thought they didn't like their members having debts.

Yep, the laws would definitely be enforced if men were the ones most often affected. Single dads are already seen as heroes while single mums are seen as a problem.

OP’s posts: |
Crabonastick Sat 04-Apr-20 17:21:02

They can override the order if they’re concerned for the emotional welfare of their staff. Given that they supported him through animal and domestic abuse convictions, it’s no surprise they are supporting him dodge child maintenance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in