Talk

Advanced search

Stonewall's "Key signposting and Glossary"

(14 Posts)
terryleather Tue 17-Mar-20 14:50:13

While searching for info to help me complete the Scottish GRA consultation I happened on this document from Stonewall's website and was interested to see in the glossary section the following definition of ^transphobia
^
"...^includes the perpetuation of negative myths and stereotypes through jokes and/or^ through personal thought."

Looks like the age of thought crime really has arrived...

OP’s posts: |
PlayYouLikeAShark Tue 17-Mar-20 14:52:35

Well that's a reach! Something WeAreFairCop should see I think

PlayYouLikeAShark Tue 17-Mar-20 14:52:55

Do you have a link?

terryleather Tue 17-Mar-20 14:55:18

Hope this works PlayYou...

www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/setting_up_lgbt_011.pdf

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:56:47

I'm assuming they mean sharing / expressing one's thoughts i.e. it's not just jokes at someone's expense but also making 'ignorant' statements.

Very poorly worded though, so it's completely unclear. And would not surprise me if the trans activists insisted on keeping one's thoughts 'pure' at all times.

PlayYouLikeAShark Tue 17-Mar-20 14:58:25

It worked thank you. I can't date it - wondering when this was published? Would be interesting to work that out.

LadyQuarantinaPluckington Tue 17-Mar-20 15:01:57

Yes, this really underpins quite a lot of the rhetoric you see, tbh. It's been manifested here when certain voices clamour for neutral pronouns to be disallowed and preferred pronouns imposed. It's the essence of Barracker's rohypnol analogy - the aim is to adjust/control your thinking.

This kind of obsessive enforced introspection is a common cult tactic, btw. Just sayin'

You cannot, in the end, be permitted to simply say the words and believe what you wish. You must fully comply. This is not argument, or persuasion. This is pure totalitarianism.

terryleather Tue 17-Mar-20 15:04:22

I agree it's ambiguously worded Nonny - worryingly so.

I'm not happy to be told what/how to think by anyone , least of all bloody Stonewall!

terryleather Tue 17-Mar-20 15:08:57

I was trying to find the Stonewall definition of trans and just clicked on that link when it came up in a Google search PlayYou so no idea about dates.

It's the essence of Barracker's rohypnol analogy - the aim is to adjust/control your thinking.

Totally agree, Lady

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Tue 17-Mar-20 15:18:54

<Thinks many thoughts>

ErrolTheDragon Tue 17-Mar-20 15:27:19

Does their glossary include a term for building an ideology on the perpetuation of myths and stereotypes?

terryleather Tue 17-Mar-20 15:39:48

Does their glossary include a term for building an ideology on the perpetuation of myths and stereotypes?

grin grin grin

Languishingfemale Tue 17-Mar-20 17:12:52

I wonder what Stonewall's interpretation of grooming is?

LadyQuarantinaPluckington Tue 17-Mar-20 17:26:54

Standard practice, by the looks of things.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in