Talk

Advanced search

"This medicine is not to be used by men or children"

(16 Posts)
bellinisurge Mon 16-Mar-20 07:01:27

Have a blast of cystitis. Tried bicarbonate of soda etc but gave in and bought some cystitis relief sachets. Which doesn't appear to have added Kool-Aid. Take a look at the photo to be a bit cheered up.

OP’s posts: |
HorseWithNoLang Mon 16-Mar-20 07:18:21

Have to take these small pleasures where and when you can find them.

Hope you're feeling better soon. xx

bellinisurge Mon 16-Mar-20 07:31:00

Cheers.

ContessaferJones Mon 16-Mar-20 07:32:09

Ooh, is that Bayer? How refreshing! We will take them off the shit list grin feel better!

BlackeyedSusan Mon 16-Mar-20 12:47:45

Ouch... Hope you get well soon.

TinselAngel Mon 16-Mar-20 13:15:17

What do you do with bicarb for cystitis? (Asking for a relative).

TreestumpsAndTrampolines Mon 16-Mar-20 13:48:00

What do you do with bicarb for cystitis? (Asking for a relative).

Teaspoon in a glass of water is what I do. Immense relief soon after.

Doesn't cure anything, but stops it stinging so much, so you can drink more and flush it all through.

I don't get cystitis often (perhaps 5 times in my life, and I'm 40), but if you don't have the sachets, it's a good backup plan.

bellinisurge Mon 16-Mar-20 13:50:26

That's precisely it @TreestumpsAndTrampolines

popehilarious Mon 16-Mar-20 14:03:11

What happens if men take it?

bellinisurge Mon 16-Mar-20 14:40:10

I could come up with a comedy answer but I think, due to biology, it might not be effective enough.

TreestumpsAndTrampolines Mon 16-Mar-20 15:20:28

I just googled (having never heard any male I know mention cystitis) - and it seems that if men get cystitis (and it's more unusual for them to) it's something to go to the doctor about, because it's more likely to be a symptom of something bigger (prostate infection and the like), rather than take sachets and wait it out like women do.

bellinisurge Mon 16-Mar-20 15:28:38

My dh had it just before we met. It was more serious than anything I have ever experienced.

Haworthia Mon 16-Mar-20 22:34:03

Women have short urethras so it’s fairly easy for bacteria to get up there and into the bladder. Men have much longer urinary tracts, meaning infections are much less common (and much more serious when they do happen).

JessicaLangoustine Mon 16-Mar-20 23:02:54

My doctors' surgery did an in house study on cystitis and found that ordinary ibuprofen clears it up quicker than antibiotics. I had it recently and ibuprofen did the trick within 24 hours.

bellinisurge Tue 17-Mar-20 06:48:44

Handy to know @JessicaLangoustine

CrocusPocus Tue 17-Mar-20 06:52:31

@JessicaLangoustine that's really interesting- definitely my experience (regular cystitis sufferer here).

Bicarb in water tastes foul - I find it marginally more drinkable with squash.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in