Talk

Advanced search

Men don’t have periods, full stop - Julia Hartley-Brewer

(56 Posts)
TheRealMcKenna Thu 12-Mar-20 15:35:50

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0BkYDIdAAE&feature=youtu.be

I do love the fact that there are some journalists out there that just aren’t prepared to lie in order to ‘be kind’. Love her or loathe her, she doesn’t care about ‘cancel culture’.

Well said Julia!

OP’s posts: |
SoldiersinPetticoats Thu 12-Mar-20 15:42:36

Go Julia! She totally gets it. Loved the snigger.

Shmithecat2 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:44:26

'Well, we can't call it Feminine Hygiene anymore can we, because men are having periods'

😂😂😂

littlbrowndog Thu 12-Mar-20 15:44:48

Owned and ☄️🔥🔥🔥🔥sizzled live on radio

sawdustformypony Thu 12-Mar-20 15:48:51

Men don’t have periods, full stop

Smashing - Get's my vote. Cheers wine

BiologyIsReal Thu 12-Mar-20 15:51:29

"Can't call it feminine hygiene any more because men are having periods". - Julia - after her interviewee kept insisting men (i.e. trans men) had periods despite Julia saying it was women and girls.

Love it Julia. Do these young women not realise how ridiculous they sound?

Datun Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:30

Honestly, can she not her herself.

Julia refuses to let her say people with periods, and is accused of transphobia.

The other woman then goes on to assert that absolutely men can have periods, if they have a uterus and they identify as a man they can have a period.

Which point Julia tries to call out, but carries on for the sake of the program.

And then Julia asks why is the VAT on tampax such an issue, using the example of the VAT on her child's car seat as a similar issue that didn't get anywhere near the publicity.

And the woman's answer is sexism???

Fucking sexism?!

When she has literally just said that it's an issue that affects both men and women!!!

It's unbelievably insane.

BiologyIsReal Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:43

Sorry - X post

But it was hilarious

MashedPotatoBrainz Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:49

The caller is confused. Men have periods she says but goes on to label the tampon tax as sexist. Make your mind up!

Mrskeats Thu 12-Mar-20 15:52:52

Love love love love love this

Datun Thu 12-Mar-20 15:53:51

The caller is confused. Men have periods she says but goes on to label the tampon tax as sexist. Make your mind up!

It's mad, isn't it? What a fucking idiot

MrsElijahMikaelson1 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:56:39

Bloody brilliantly put! 👑

zanahoria Thu 12-Mar-20 16:01:34

I love the fact that the woke woman cannot keep 'people with periods' up and starts saying women herself.

CuppaZa Thu 12-Mar-20 16:03:57

The caller is a fucking idiot. I love Julia

JellySlice Thu 12-Mar-20 16:06:46

She has point - in this madly ridiculous linguistic spat.

Feminine hygiene products are now being used by women who identify as masculine, and are not designed to be used by males who identify as feminine. Calling tampons 'feminine' is therefore trans-exclusionary/phobic/triggering/whatever, as it hurts the feelings of women who do not consider themselves feminine and of men who do.

Female hygiene products, anyone?

hmm

StandUpStraight Thu 12-Mar-20 16:08:10

Best laugh I’ve had all week. Thank you! “I do know some trans activists”. No shit.

Datun Thu 12-Mar-20 16:10:13

Female hygiene products, anyone?

No argument from me. When you think about why they are called 'feminine', it is a bit odd.

BringbackLang Thu 12-Mar-20 16:10:21

Oh Laura was it? Laura got completely owned. JHB was not having any of it. Fabulous.

SarahTancredi Thu 12-Mar-20 16:10:30

Julia set that up perfectly grin

Caller fell right into the trap. awesome grin

Danceswithwarthogs Thu 12-Mar-20 16:11:38

As an aside to the men with uteri ....

Not sure where she got the 75p a year figure from though... and sounding pretty out of touch with the realities of life below the poverty line hmm

FloralBunting Thu 12-Mar-20 16:13:05

Have to say I agree wholeheartedly with Julia on every point there. The tampon tax is a totem. It can be argued it is unjust, and I may have at one point agreed, but it exists and the money raised via the tax is ring fenced for women's causes.

So now the 'tampon tax', which amounts to a couple of pennies an item, is going to be abolished, does anyone seriously thing those women's causes are not going to see a cut in finances?

How is this a win for women and girls in anything other than symbolism? Looks like a bit of a phyrric victory to me.

And obviously, yy to all previous comments about the incoherent blobble from the woman phoning in who knows men who have periods and thinks the tampon tax is sexist...🙄

ErrolTheDragon Thu 12-Mar-20 16:13:52

* Female hygiene products, anyone?*

TBH there should no need for this sort of euphemism nowadays. Wouldn't 'Period products' be simple and work for everyone that needs them? It's not like it's special stuff because women are especially dirty, is it? Sometimes the simplest solution may be the best, it's the silly 'people with periods' type of language which is risible when it's completely unnecessary.

Languishingfemale Thu 12-Mar-20 16:25:31

JHB is awesome. Her interview with Posy was a real pleasure to hear. I'd love to hear her interviewing the dreary Labour candidates about this.

StandUpStraight Thu 12-Mar-20 16:38:06

Laura has turned to Twitter to voice her anger and confusion following her treatment on the radio. Replies are most entertaining. mobile.twitter.com/LauraCoryton/status/1238071331666702343

Thingybob Thu 12-Mar-20 16:44:38

As an aside I would say an annual saving of about 75p is about right as VAT is only charged at 5% on period products

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in