Talk

Advanced search

Facebook convo about International Women's Day

(11 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Mar-20 15:00:57

Words honestly fail me...

A Facebook post from the Met highlighting a success female. A lady responded with words along the lines of why do we need a women's day, where's the men's day, let's just celebrate being human.

I responded with what it's about - Internationally we still don't have gender parity or equal rights to men.

Her response "if you need a woman's day, you and other women must feel inadequate. I'm a woman and have never worried about equality, I would lower myself (presumably she means wouldn't), I love being feminine and wouldn't change anything. I certainly don't need a woman's day to massage my ego".

Fuck me, do these people really exist.

OP’s posts: |
Llyn Sat 07-Mar-20 15:04:55

You could let her know that International Men’s Day is 19th November....

internationalmensday.com/

Babdoc Sat 07-Mar-20 15:07:17

Ask her if she’d like to give back her right to vote, her equal pay, her freedom from marital rape, her right to sign credit agreements, her custody of her children, her access to abortion if required, her maternity pay..... and anything else those nasty feminists won for her?

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Mar-20 15:08:33

Yeah a few people have done that @Llyn!

SueEllenMishke Sat 07-Mar-20 15:08:50

Tell her to read the book 'invisible women' and see if she still feels the same

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Mar-20 15:10:26

Honestly my head just wants to explode, how can anyone think like that? I know I sound naive but ggggrrrrr.

StillWeRise Sat 07-Mar-20 15:18:45

some women think they've got a good deal from the status quo (eg if they're married to rich men) and don't want to rock the boat
they have been sold the idea that we have power because we can manipulate men through our charms/wiles/beauty/sex appeal. I honestly don't think it's worth engaging with them. Sadly they will only see their mistake when for whatever reason they lose their value in the marketplace.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Mar-20 15:26:45

I've copied @Babdoc response and will have to leave it there. My blood pressure can't take it.

Lordfrontpaw Sat 07-Mar-20 19:07:38

I’m imagining her to be a stepford wife type. And there is a man’s day - who is the male comedian who spends all IWD tweeting responses to all the dumb ‘when’s men’s day’ queries?

SueEllenMishke Sat 07-Mar-20 19:13:09

Richard Herring. It's brilliant and depressing in equal measure. He raises loads of money for refuge.

Lordfrontpaw Sat 07-Mar-20 19:50:57

That’s the one. He was rather amusing last year.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in