Talk

Advanced search

Suzanne Moore takes aim at Labour in Telegraph

(9 Posts)
BovaryX Fri 14-Feb-20 21:03:30

Suzanne Moore denounces Labour's purge against gender critical feminists. In the Telegraph. It is interesting that the purges, the self censorship, the war on freedom of speech and the war on women is reported in the right wing media. The Labour party are waging a war against feminists. They are shedding voters like a desert cat sheds its fur in spring. Shame on Labour.

I suppose that to tell women we no longer have the right to autonomous organisation has always been the aim of the dude bros who run Labour. Now Labour’s women seem to have been co-opted too. Being on the “right” side of the trans debate – where the word “transphobia’”is now applied willy nilly – has been used in this instance as a signal of purity. This does no favours to the tiny proportion of the population who are trans (estimated at between 0.01 to 0.02 per cent), most of whom simply need access to treatment and freedom from discrimination. The policing around this issue by notable Labour activists is pitiful. To raise concerns about puberty blockers, women's sports, the erasure of lesbians and gay history is to give in to an essentialist ideology that denies women's actual experience

BovaryX Fri 14-Feb-20 21:05:07

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/14/trans-rights-charter-another-way-labour-put-women-intheir-place/?WT.mc_id

littlbrowndog Fri 14-Feb-20 21:14:51

It’s like a dams burst.

Thank fuck

Everyone is speaking. Out.

Well apart from the hostages in Labour Party

zanahoria Fri 14-Feb-20 21:18:38

I noted that the Guardian report of the Harry Miller case was about the only one not mention the gestapo comments.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Fri 14-Feb-20 21:29:37

I just wish Kate Scottow's case had been delayed until after the dam bursting had time to register with the judiciary. As many of us have been saying all along, the general public thinks that most of this is complete nonsense and TRA demands are unreasonable and dangerous. It's heartening to see the inherent misogyny behind the left's embrace of all things "women should be quiet" related called out, but it shouldn't have taken the right wing free speech types taking an interest for that to happen.

I'm starting to feel more hopeful that the TRA demands part will eventually be tackled but the misogyny that's led so many men to embrace it as a way to spite and punish women is going to be a tougher nut to crack. It really has been one of those "so this is how much you hate us, then" moments.

howwillthispanout Fri 14-Feb-20 21:38:39

Without excusing the absolute shitshow that has been Labour’s response and position - this is not just left vs right. The Morning Star has been consistently GC - more so than any other commentary. I fear that does not fit Suzanne’s narrative though

LexMitior Fri 14-Feb-20 21:39:46

@zanahoria indeed the Guardian does mention the fact that Justice Knowles said that England has never had a Cheka, Gestapo or a Stasi.

This is not an endorsement of the Guardian but to be fair on what they have put out on the case.

The case is very significant I think - together with the fact that the police guidance case will go to the Supreme Court on appeal. I would say that, perhaps inadvertently, that the use of authority by TRA in an aggressive fashion will have proved a mistake.

It is very notable that within this case that TRA implicitly request rights that even other minority groups do not claim. The use of “hate crime” is very contentious. It is not a legally defined phrase.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Fri 14-Feb-20 21:43:21

People who lean materialist leftist do tend to get it, so the total capitulation of the Guardian, Labour Party etc just sort of draws a line under their complete lack of class analysis. Which is particularly funny in the case of those who identify as Marxists.

MsSafina Sat 15-Feb-20 10:18:18

I thought 2020 might bring a cure for cancer. Instead we have drag queen story telling and a debate about what a woman is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »