Talk

Advanced search

New equalities and Women's Ministers

(13 Posts)
Imnobody4 Fri 14-Feb-20 19:15:57

According to Equalities tweets
Baroness Berridge is new Minister for Women, don't know what's happened to V Atkins.
Kemi Badenoch is Minister for Equalities which I hope is an improvement.

stumbledin Fri 14-Feb-20 19:19:31

Thanks - am off to google as I cant say I have heard of either. blush

Imnobody4 Fri 14-Feb-20 19:20:42

Baroness Berridge has been appointed parliamentary under secretary of state at the Department for Education as well. Is that a good sign.

xxyzz Fri 14-Feb-20 19:23:53

"Born and educated in the county of Rutland, Lady Berridge attended Vale of Catmose College and Rutland College in Oakham. She then studied Law at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and undertook barrister’s training at the Inns of Court School of Law in London. Her professional career was as a barrister before she was appointed Executive Director of the Conservative Christian Fellowship in 2006.["

TimeLady Fri 14-Feb-20 19:24:27

Full list here

order-order.com/2020/02/14/reshuffle-live-6/

17.35:Kemi Badenoch appointed PuSS (Minister for Equalities) at DfIT
17.35:Baroness Berridge appointed PuSS (Minister for Women) at DfIT
17.35: Victoria Atkins remains PuSS at the Home Office

I assume PuSS is Permanent underSecretary of State.

xxyzz Fri 14-Feb-20 19:25:28

Etc.

As a Christian, it seems she might be less expected to be sympathetic to TWAW.

Though equally, she might (or might not) be less sympathetic to abortion rights.

Mockersisrightasusual Fri 14-Feb-20 19:30:31

...Parliamentary Under Secretary of State

'Permanent Secretaries' are civil servants.

Ministers are anything but permanent.

stumbledin Fri 14-Feb-20 19:54:00

So they are again indicating that Minister for Women is just a second job for someone who has a more important job, eg Education. [hmmm]

Interestingly Kemi Badenoch's father is a GP and her mother is a professor of physiology so here's hoping she has a better grasp on biology than some! (Apparently as someone with tech skills she didn't think anything of hacking into Harriet Harman's web site!)

R0wantrees Fri 14-Feb-20 20:05:03

Victoria Atkins MP may still be Parliamentary Under Secretary for Safeguarding and Vulnerability & in which case may be taking a lead on the inquiries into the consequences for children identified as transgender.
www.gov.uk/government/people/victoria-atkins

teawamutu Fri 14-Feb-20 20:46:49

That all sounds a bit more promising than Mordaunt and Miller were.

You'd hope someone from a medical family would know the basics of biology, but then I saw a woke surgeon on Twitter arguing TWAW so you never know.

ArranUpsideDown Fri 14-Feb-20 20:53:31

then I saw a woke surgeon on Twitter arguing TWAW so you never know.

There are many medics on Twitter with impeccable pedigrees in skepticism and denialism who argue that - much to my sorrow.

And a UK Professor of Public Health with a special interest in sexual and reproductive health who has also affected to believe that women who believe otherwise have failed to do enough research. That would be a professor who considers mimmymum to be a reliable source of information. And who has tweeted 'proof' of the continuum through some nonsense to do with categorising tables and chairs/stools. I nonetheless believe that she knows which sex needs to use which method of contraception/prophylaxis and which particular sex is the one that actually conceives and gives birth.

stumbledin Sun 16-Feb-20 00:36:38

Just saw this in an article in the I about Kemi Badenoch:

" ... She had reflected: "What we thought was quite liberal is now seen as quite conservative and vice versa."

“When I look at a lot of the stuff that you see on social media about how – I think it’s a generational thing as well – younger people look at appropriate behaviour and what is a sexual advance, what is sexual harassment and so on, to me, it’s actually becoming a lot more puritanical than anything I ever saw in my 20s or in my teens."

She also came under fire in January 2019 after accusing Labour's Tulip Siddiq of trying to deliberately "make a point" by delaying her cesarean for a key Brexit vote.

The new equalities minister abstained on the extension of same-sex marriage to Northern Ireland in July 2019.

She joins the Government Equalities Office (GEO) just weeks after it put out a call for sexual harassment victims to share their stories and pledged to "strengthen protections for employees across the UK from sexual harassment".

... Ms Badenoch also challenged the cultural reassessment of the TV show Friends over jokes that are now seen as homophobic and transphobic.

... Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss, who continues to hold the Cabinet-level role of Minister for Women and Equalities, previously suggested renaming the department the "Ministry of Freedom" to move away from “identity politics". "

inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-new-equalities-minister-criticised-puritanical-millennials-sexual-harassment-1742011

So nothing has really change as basically we are still waiting for Liz Truss???

Imnobody4 Sun 16-Feb-20 15:47:48

Strange article in inews. She's not the Women's Minister but Equalities so I find her comments on Friends and abstention on gay marriage in N.Ireland significant (not that I agree with the latter). Baroness Williams her predessesser was very gung ho about trans issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »