Talk

Advanced search

The Yorkshire Ripper Files

(7 Posts)
CranberriesChoccy Tue 14-Jan-20 21:48:51

BBC4 (I think)

Interesting series that re-examines the events with a feminist voice. The police dismissing victims as prostitutes, the words "loose morals" chucked about but only about women of course. Evidence and eye-witness accounts dismissed because it didn't fit the narrative of a man killing prostitutes.

I've only watched the first episide so far.i

TracyBeakerSoYeah Tue 14-Jan-20 22:04:38

I watched it when it first came out last year. It's 3 parts & it's an excellent documentary.
I know things were different then but I was gobsmacked & saddened to see/hear the misogyny.
I'm rewatching it & it's making me feel even angrier hearing people go on about loose morals, the racism, we're the professionals so we know better than you young schoolgirl etc.

If the some of the police had not have been so narrow minded, discriminatory & vain then I think The Ripper would have been caught long before he finally was.

Somebody's Mother, Somebody's Daughter is a really good book that tells you about the life of the victims & it's heartbreaking.
www.amazon.co.uk/Somebodys-Mother-Daughter-Survivors-Yorkshire/dp/1789290392/ref=sr_1_1?crid=FLJWNAVMMK4S&keywords=somebody+s+mother%2C+somebody+s+daughter&sprefix=Somebody%27s+mo%2Caps%2C178&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1579039246&sr=8-1

I also recommend Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt For The Yorkshire Ripper www.amazon.co.uk/Wicked-Beyond-Belief-Yorkshire-Ripper/dp/0007450737/ref=pd_aw_sbs_14_2/259-5816789-3305832?psc=1&pf_rd_p=0208d703-a674-4413-8899-c3889837d212&_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_wg=IFhBl&pf_rd_r=7Z9SEWAJDK56M3RJY3N1&pd_rd_i=0007450737&pd_rd_w=xDDWE&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&refRID=7Z9SEWAJDK56M3RJY3N1&pd_rd_r=48e69af2-4e2c-4106-9f3c-3fa80a05d6cb

Ereshkigal Tue 14-Jan-20 23:16:54

If the some of the police had not have been so narrow minded, discriminatory & vain then I think The Ripper would have been caught long before he finally was.

YY. Watching it here too.

GirlDownUnder Tue 14-Jan-20 23:29:27

If the some of the police had not have been so narrow minded, discriminatory & vain...

Reading some of the recent news, and threads about failed child safe guarding eg Detective Maggie Oliver, it would seem not much has changed in the protection of the most vulnerable in our society.

Siameasy Wed 15-Jan-20 09:52:20

Wicked Beyond Belief is a great book. Hadn’t heard of the Daughters one, good recommendation

We see it time and again. Police convince themselves they have the answer, ignore all other leads. Real perpetrator carries on harming people. Heaps of misogyny in this case where they didn’t really care until the victim was a school girl (the tone being that he’s now moved onto normal women)

BovaryX Wed 15-Jan-20 09:57:09

I would recommend an excellent feminist critique of this awful case. It's called The Street-Cleaner The Yorkshire Ripper Case on Trial by Nicole Ward Jouve

Packingsoapandwater Wed 15-Jan-20 12:21:19

There's a very good book by an ex-detective who believes Sutcliffe is responsible for a number of missing women in London. He also thinks Sutcliffe may have killed men.

He explains the "prostitutes" label by saying that WYP manipulated that narrative to falsely provide a sense of safety for other women in order to take some of the heat out of the criticisms that they hadn't caught the perpetrator.

But they got hoist by their own petard in that one, as they then couldn't publicly been seen to consider other possible cases where the victim was not a prostitute.

Ah, it's Yorkshire Ripper: the Secret Murders, by Chris Clark.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »