Talk

Advanced search

Cry Me A Bloody River: Article about the Pathetic Plight of Period-Plagued Trans Men

(159 Posts)
Durgasarrow Sun 12-Jan-20 21:11:19

Lord, shrink me a violin so I can play my sad little heart out about the very very very special pain that our uteri having brothers have in getting and using period products. According to this article, period products are expensive, embarrassing, and inaccessible. Whereas for boring old Cisters, they are apparently free, and we gaily run through our offices waving tampons like torches and flapping our pads like happy handpuppets. Oh and we find them somehow "in stores?" Another interesting factlet: TM find it embarrassing to rip open tampon packages in the men's room. Much as women might feel if, um, males were allowed in the women's room? Just sayin.
www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/transgender-men-pain-menstruation-more-just-physical-n1113961

DryHeave Sun 12-Jan-20 21:20:02

My daytime sanitary products are green, nighttime are blue. It has been this way since I started my periods when I was 12 (over 20 years ago). Am I missing something in the pink/purple claim?

Oncewasblueandyellowtwo Sun 12-Jan-20 21:24:42

Aaaahhhhhh
Aaaahhhhhh
F**k f**k f**k.
And breath.

The sound of opening a tampon or pad, or simply carrying one, can lead to unwanted attention.

What about the teenage girls who now have to do this in mixed sexed toilets in schools? Or any woman in any mixed sexed toilet.
And taking about the pink packeging? We never asked or wanted it. In fact none of us want it or the stupid scented pads.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 12-Jan-20 21:26:06

Oh ye Gods. I have no words

TheABC Sun 12-Jan-20 21:30:17

There's an easy way around this.
Use a mooncup.
No packaging, no gender colour connotations and no rustling.

You can clean it out with a damp tissue in the cubicle.

DeeZastris Sun 12-Jan-20 21:32:18

When will this madness end? Men don’t have periods. They just don’t.

beautifulstranger101 Sun 12-Jan-20 21:32:55

Oh FFS- I wish they'd shut up with this nonsense, with every article like this I lose a bit more empathy for them. This is becoming totally obnoxious now

beautifulstranger101 Sun 12-Jan-20 21:34:02

Use a mooncup

Yes but the moon represents "female energy" so therefore its insulting and induces gender dysphoria for trans men...or some such shit I expect

WelcomeToCranford Sun 12-Jan-20 21:35:28

I can't imagine why period products wouldn't be readily available in men's toilets hmm.

Beamur Sun 12-Jan-20 21:43:11

Period pants. No mess no rustle.
Only an issue if you make it one.

feelingverylazytoday Sun 12-Jan-20 21:50:00

These people would make it a lot easier on themselves if they could just accept it is impossible to change sex in a biological sense. There really is no need for all this angst. If you have periods you are female, because menstruation is part of the female reproductive process. Just accept it and get the fuck on with it, like everyone else has to.

justcly Sun 12-Jan-20 21:50:04

Am I supremely thick because I just can't work out how the expense of period products is more of an issue for transmen on a low income than it is for women on a low income?

Beamur Sun 12-Jan-20 21:54:29

You're not..
They are expensive.
I'm curious as to why that is different for different genders too.
Cost me a small fortune to kit out DD with these but reckon it's cheaper in the long run and better for the environment.

EL2019 Sun 12-Jan-20 22:05:53

After having a period every 23 days for about 30 odd years and finally realising I was never going to get pregnant, I went to my doctor and begged “please for the love of God, make it stop” and am now very happily on the mini pill.
Am I womaning wrong?

Perhaps she should have prescribed white jeans and roller skates.

Gibbonsgibbonsgibbons Sun 12-Jan-20 22:09:31

Beamur
Only an issue if you make it one

So much this - it’s all about this 🙄

hazeyjane Sun 12-Jan-20 22:14:03

In 37 years of periods I've never been in a female bathroom where there are free sanitary products. Where the fuck am I going wrong in my life.

Voice0fReason Sun 12-Jan-20 22:21:34

I don't understand why they are so hard to buy if you're a transman. So what if they are labelled as women's products!
My husband has bought them for me in the past. Self-scan at the supermarket. Order them online.

Durgasarrow Sun 12-Jan-20 22:33:36

If having a period makes a person feel like less of a man, who am I to disagree?

AvaSnowdrop Sun 12-Jan-20 22:34:16

My husband buys sanpro if I ask him and when I lived at home so did my father. It’s a complete non-issue. And why is it an issue for a trans man to rustle a sanpro packet but it’s fine for another man to rustle a packet of paper tissues, a colostomy bag, or anything else he may need to unwrap?

BeautifulBirds Sun 12-Jan-20 22:35:45

36 tampons in one period?? What are they doing? Smoking them?!

Durgasarrow Sun 12-Jan-20 22:39:21

I mean, go ahead and put a pickup truck and a six pack of beer on the tampon package and it's not going to make it any less of a female product. Because women don't equal flowers and pink. Just use some of your famous male swagger, call them your Manpons and go to town, gentlemen.

Aposterhasnoname Sun 12-Jan-20 22:41:07

They need to get together with trans women, apparently they need only to glance at the toilets before they are being asked for, and passing round, tampons.

Melroses Sun 12-Jan-20 22:44:26

www.self.com/story/male-period-trans-model-kenny-jones

That's the transman that experienced periods only between 15 yo (late) and 16 yo hmm

roonilwazlibismynickname Sun 12-Jan-20 22:46:10

BeautifulBirds

36 tampons in one period?? What are they doing? Smoking them?!

Surely 36 is only 6x6? Not an unreasonable amount to be using each period?

BinkySodPlop Sun 12-Jan-20 22:48:42

Surely the trans men will just tut and move away if any other men look at them funny in the toilets?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »