Talk

Advanced search

Claudia Winkleman and Vinegar Strokes

(14 Posts)
pearlkent Sun 12-Jan-20 20:54:46

Just got Claudia's Radio 2 radio show on in the background and caught her talking about/to Vinegar Strokes, who is apparently a drag artist on Rupaul's Drag Race.
She was merrily chatting away (volume was low so didn't hear properly) but was struck by how it is apparently acceptable to talk about "Vinegar Strokes" on pre-watershed radio. Maybe Claudia isn't aware of the meaning of the phrase?
Along with the "fishies" phrase, I feel it's abhorrent that the BBC is using this slang as if it's all perfectly acceptable.
Am I being prudish?

SpeedofaSloth Sun 12-Jan-20 20:56:02

I don't know what it means TBH.

CallofDoodee Sun 12-Jan-20 21:00:06

Yeah that is a bit odd.

'Vinegar strokes' are the final few strokes before a man ejaculates. So called because he makes a face like he has just just tasted vinegar smile

But no, not really suitable for the radio. I was listening to radio 2 with my kids in the car this evening and got home just as Claudia came on - I'm glad we did!

Mockers2020Vision Sun 12-Jan-20 21:25:25

There is no watershed on Radio. Never had one.

You'd have enjoyed listening in the glory days of punk in 77-78. Plenty of band names and song titles to make a maiden aunt blush.

Then by 81 we had Bow Wow Wow with amusing ditties like Sexy Eiffel Towers (about becoming aroused by jumping off tall buildings to your death) and Louis Quatorze where the 14 year old singer sings about her paedophile lover who likes to rape her with a knife held to her back, "and I say, Louis Quatorze, do you love me?"

ContessaferJones Sun 12-Jan-20 21:27:24

Well I've learned something new confused ugh!

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 12-Jan-20 21:34:03

Every day's a school day!

SameOldHorrorStory Mon 13-Jan-20 06:46:53

If there’s no watershed on radio then why are songs given radio edits? confused

IlsSortLaPlupartAuNuitMostly Mon 13-Jan-20 07:02:59

I think as long as they don’t explain the derivation at the time then it falls under the heading of “if you don’t know why it’s rude then you won’t find it rude”.

Even if you did find yourself in a car with an unusually curious and persistent child who requires explanations for everything in their path, it’s not an intrinsically problematic name - it just refers to the fact that men pull silly faces when having sex.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 13-Jan-20 09:39:01

If there’s no watershed on radio then why are songs given radio edits? So there doesn't have to be a watershed!

"Let's go round again...." smile

Mockers2020Vision Mon 13-Jan-20 10:21:03

Because we'd be here all day describing what was rude:

Paul McCartney's "Finger Pie" in Penny Lane.
Suzy Quatro's "48 Crash"
Pictures of Lilly made my life so wonderful.

Etc

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 13-Jan-20 19:13:32

I need all of those explaining @Mockers2020Vision !!!

RicketyClickety Tue 14-Jan-20 06:03:54

I didn't know until this thread what Vinegar Strokes meant!

Now deciding whether or not to google Mockers2020Visions's song references.

Mockers2020Vision Tue 14-Jan-20 08:22:00

I need all of those explaining, Mockers

You asked:

Finger Pie was what young McCartney and fellow Beatles did to the fraulines on the Reeperbahn.

48 Crash refers to the age at which erectile dysfunction kicks in.

The Who's Pictures of Lilly is a hymn to self-abuse.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 14-Jan-20 13:49:33

shockshockshock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »