Talk

Advanced search

Sometimes I wish I was a man...

(9 Posts)
its2019ffs Tue 03-Dec-19 11:11:01

I've name changed for this.

I'm so sick to death of being treated the way I do in the workplace. I've had so many jobs in the past but they're all the same. They are run by men who see me as an object.

My current workplace is the worst. Currently I am on £3.50 per hour less then a male colleague for which we are both employed to do the same job. I am over qualified for this job and have years more experience in this role than he does.

I am made to do the 'woman' work of the business. I have to make everyone coffees, clean the toilets, iron and wash the owners clothes and whatever else they see fit.

It is an extremely small business, yet the other male colleagues are given amazing praise for the insignificant amount they have to do. They get taken on meals out, out for drinks, are given bonuses to go on holiday or for their birthdays.

I'm yet to have a thank you off anyone for doing a good job.

I'm so angry, if I kick up a fuss I will have no job. I don't even have an employment contract.

I'm leaving next week after I'm sure the holidays I'm owed are paid. But I know the next job I go to will be the same. I don't want this for my daughter, it's soul destroying and makes me feel worthless.

Does anyone know of any companies or job roles that are truly equal?

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:30:56

I'm truly sorry you are suffering under such an exploitative system.

I am not well-versed in employment policies and law but I do know that you are entitled to ask for a written employment contract and you should get one within two months of starting the role.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/basic-rights-and-contracts/contracts-of-employment/

Are you able to visit your local Citizen's Advice Bureau? A lot of what you are describing sounds very exploitative, unfair and potentially illegal, especially in terms of preferential treatment between staff.

Do you usually find work via contractual or sub-contracting agencies?

its2019ffs Tue 03-Dec-19 11:36:45

@NonnyMouse1337 thank you for your post

There is so much illegal stuff going on here, it's a case of take you pick really. I could shut the entire business down with one phone call but to be honest I haven't got the strength or energy to have this looming over me for god knows how long.

I wish I could say it's the first time it's happened to me but it seems whatever job I get I get taken advantage of because of my gender

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:53:06

That's awful.

It really is the fault of successive governments not funding and staffing organisations that should have a role in investigating and prosecuting such businesses instead of placing the burden on vulnerable employees like yourself to report them or take them to a tribunal.

And of course disgusting that there are so many men who think nothing of exploiting women's labour in a way that they would never dream of asking from another man.

There are relatively good organisations and businesses. Not sure how many are truly equal, but at least they are not exploitative or engaging in illegal practices. Depends on the sector and job roles too. Things might be good in a company if you are in a high paid professional role, but conditions could be horrible for someone in the same business but in a much lower level of the corporate ladder.

its2019ffs Tue 03-Dec-19 12:15:37

I am I really hard working person and I don't really mind doing anything which has obviously been taken advantage of rather than been rewarded.

I like to work somewhere where there is a fighting chance of progression, a chance to learn new skills and be recognised for hard work.

It honestly feels like I've gone back in time sometimes with men looking at me as if to say 'woman shouldn't have these ideas and expectations' yet if male colleague make the same suggestions he's hailed as a genius who will clearly go far in life.

deydododatdodontdeydo Tue 03-Dec-19 12:39:47

If you are paid £3.50 less an hour than a male colleague doing the same job, then this breaking the law.

Maybe larger companies would suit you.
I've worked in universities and NHS, where there are definite payscales. If you are the same scale as a man, you will get the same rate.
Not sure how sure you are that the next job will be the same, because I don't think there are many places where you don't get an employment contract, and doing the "woman work" of the business can't be widespread - most workplaces have more than one woman anyway.

Germ1360 Tue 03-Dec-19 16:54:45

Wish I had useful advice for you, but all I can say is I sympathise (for what little that's worth). It's fucking wrong and infuriating.

its2019ffs Tue 03-Dec-19 17:40:32

And just top it off I had a prick man mansplain his lateness to an appointment today. I very nearly lost my rag! Lucky I don't have a patio wink

sawdustformypony Tue 03-Dec-19 17:59:13

I had a man explain his lateness to an appointment today

The swine !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »