Talk

Advanced search

Spanish Big Brother films contestant being raped then makes her watch it

(73 Posts)
Clymene Mon 02-Dec-19 23:20:21

Sorry that is such a horrendous click bait title. But it's what they did. They watched her being raped while she was passed out drunk, then played the tape back to her in the diary room

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/spanish-big-brother-made-contestant-181044088.html

I hope she sues Endemol

TruthOnTrial Tue 03-Dec-19 21:38:30

I'm not so sure.

There are too many that really have no idea where the line is.

It can take a death for some ignorant abusers to realise something might have been wrong.

I'm thinking Jeremy Kyle and Love Island, amongst others.

It seems the clarity only exists in some men and women. Worrying that so many still don't get it.

So they took him out, but left her there, despite them knowing what she'd suffered, instead of getting her out and to her family to begin to realise what had happened to her, with suppprt, and its all on video. Instead they chose to further abuse her.

Fraggling Tue 03-Dec-19 21:22:31

We can agree to disagree.

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 20:29:12

Thinking this could not happen in UK is naive

Give me a break. The way it was shown on tv would never happen here.

Fraggling Tue 03-Dec-19 20:23:24

I am sure there were threads on here at the time. It was all over the press. People have short memories, possibly.

Fraggling Tue 03-Dec-19 20:22:14

It was in the press at the time.
It has come back as she decided to press charges, after initially not, from what I have read.
My understanding is that women on UK reality shows have complained of coercion etc.
Thinking this could not happen in UK is naive, and not sure what it has to do with the story.
Idea that UK is super hot on sex crime compared to some (implication) 'backward' European countries is silly when you look at our stats around sex offences.
Also bear in mind the fact that rape is defined in UK (England Wales at least) as penetration with penis is seen by some other countries as very backwards.
Cast first stone and all of that.
What they did to her was horrendous and I'm pleased after she has had some time, charges have been brought.

Alrighteo Tue 03-Dec-19 19:07:52

Well do we know what happened? It's 2 years ago....

Clymene Tue 03-Dec-19 19:04:48

I don't know why it's only just made the British press.

Frenchcroissant Tue 03-Dec-19 19:02:48

Trewser, they slept together every night, were under covers and it was night time, so only night vision cameras on.

Frenchcroissant Tue 03-Dec-19 19:00:48

She never pressed charges, so I don't think he was

Alrighteo Tue 03-Dec-19 18:55:06

Why is it relevant now? Have they charged the guy?

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 18:51:45

Oh come on the Ched Evans case was awful i agree but not remotely the same confused

Clymene Tue 03-Dec-19 18:45:29

No, it happened in 2017.

Goosefoot, like I said, you have no idea how Big Brother works. The cameras are constantly monitored. Because that's how they control the people in the house and edit the footage to make the daily broadcast.

In any event, that's not really the issue. The issue is that they sat her down in a locked room and forced her to watch herself being raped.

Alrighteo Tue 03-Dec-19 18:22:54

Did this happen this year or in 2007? If it happened in 2007, what was the outcome?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 03-Dec-19 18:19:50

Do you seriously think they would film this on UK big brother then make her watch it? They wouldn't.

Nope but Ched Evans was filmed and eventually acquitted. Let's not pretend there is justice for victims in the UK.

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 18:05:34

It took a couple of minutes for the people behind the cameras to realise he was having sex with her yeah right

Also they didn't have to tell her on camera!

Frenchcroissant Tue 03-Dec-19 18:04:12

Sorry for typos

Frenchcroissant Tue 03-Dec-19 18:03:28

This happened in 2007. The couple were in a relation ship, there was a party in the house with lots of alcohol and after a few hours she went to bed. He then went to bed too, and admittedly started having sex with her. It took a couple of minutes for the people behind the cameras to realise he was having sex with her, and they did tell him to stop and then removed him from the house. In the morning when she realised he was gone she asked why yo the super and then that's why they showed her the video.

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 17:59:57

As for whether this would get anywhere in UK, even though called rape, who the fuck knows. Most rapists here get away with it

Do you seriously think they would film this on UK big brother then make her watch it? They wouldn't.

Fraggling Tue 03-Dec-19 17:57:44

The laws may be written differently, what he did is a crime in Spain but has a different name. Sexual abuse. Not legal.

The differences in legal definitions are a distraction from what he did and the whole aftermath.

As for whether this would get anywhere in UK, even though called rape, who the fuck knows. Most rapists here get away with it.

Doobigetta Tue 03-Dec-19 17:48:36

Fucking hell. Stop filming. Send in security guards to remove rapist from house. Call police. Hold rapist on his own until police arrive. Don’t let him back in, whatever action the police take. Give the victim whatever help she needs and let her stay or go as she wishes. It’s not fucking hard, is it.

Goosefoot Tue 03-Dec-19 17:42:20

Well I think they were aware that she was comatose, yes. You don't have Big Brother there do you? There are cameras everywhere. They were watching and they knew she was unconscious. That is made perfectly clear in the article.

I don't know where you read that in the article you posted, it said nothing about that. It was recorded, obviously, but how were those cameras monitored? Was one person responsible for looking at a bunch of screens, did a single screen flip through a bunch of different cameras? In either case it could be that no one was looking at the screen right away.

Clearly they were completely out to lunch showing this women the footage, they ought to have turned it over to the police, at least if she wanted them to, and those shows IMO are a disaster waiting to happen in any ways. But I don't see how, on the basis of that article alone, you can say what the monitoring situation was, and that will make a difference in term of the company's responsibility for the rape itself.

EwwSprouts Tue 03-Dec-19 17:41:58

"Representatives of Zeppelin, the Spanish production company that makes Gran Hermano, reported Mr López to the police and Ms Prado later added her own complaint.

An investigative judge recently concluded that there were grounds to put Mr López on trial for alleged sexual abuse, although his lawyer has said his client denies the charge."

From the bottom of the yahoo article. Hope it does go to trial & he gets shredded by the press.

Clymene Tue 03-Dec-19 17:22:10

I'm very confused why people are talking about judges. This hasn't gone to trial and I don't even know if the victim has pressed charges.

I posted the link to the BBC article to show that, under Spanish law, rape of an unconscious woman is not considered rape.

TruthOnTrial Tue 03-Dec-19 16:52:34

So it is illegal? Is being tried, and the judge is pro-rape?

The judge is trying to say she hadn't passed out then, which belies here reaction on being shown the video, and they absolutely knew she was clueless, otherwise tuere wouldn't have been any mileage in showing it back to her.

Her reaction was horror, evidence she had not consented and was raped. Its abhorrent how this is still going on apace.

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 16:01:07

I ask again, were you making a point about the EU?

No, but you seem obsessed with me doing so!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »