Talk

Advanced search

Dr Stuart Lorimer Gendercare

(71 Posts)
vaginafetishist Mon 02-Dec-19 18:51:39

t's fair to say the decision to set up GenderCare, around seven years ago, wasn't an altruistic one. Doctors have mortgages too, and my partner was on the verge of retirement. In the UK, the coalition government showed every sign of squeezing the NHS in what has turned out to be the longest public sector pay freeze for many decades. I was looking for ways to generate more income.

Apparently Dr Stuart Lorimer was at the Detransitioners event in Manchester. There are loads of youtube videos of young women excitedly describing their first appointment in his clinic. This is his explanation of the thinking behind Gendercare.

vaginafetishist Mon 02-Dec-19 21:26:57

Rereading it, I think it's worse, nothing about a motivation to alleviate dysphoria or trans rights or whatever. Just musing on the tension between the NHS and private practice.

drspouse Mon 02-Dec-19 21:36:27

Apparently nobody diagnoses themselves with gender dysphoria.

RagingBall Mon 02-Dec-19 23:29:29

He's an arse. He and his mates sat on the back row muttering between themselves loud enough to annoy people either side. He was scribbling away, none of them showed any consideration or compassion for the detransitioners.

I would have more respect for him if he'd stated that he went to understand negative experiences so he can improve his practices. But he didn't.

And those statements on his own website show him up to be a pretty unpleasant person, potentially exploiting vulnerable people to line his own pockets. He's despicable.

DuMondeB Mon 02-Dec-19 23:51:27

I hope he uses the multiple notes he took to understand that he needs to exercise more caution when diagnosing young, female transitioners.

2 of the young women on the panel said that before being diagnosed with gender dysphoria they had anorexia, one of whom described reaching the point where it was threatening her life. Both went on to take testosterone and have double mastectomies, one also had hysterectomy and oophorectomy (age 21). How a doctor can ok that knowing their clinical histories is beyond me.

I really hope Dr Lorimer learned something - even if it’s only that he needs to sort his shit before the lawyers come knocking.

Goosefoot Mon 02-Dec-19 23:52:31

I suppose in some sense this is why almost anyone sets up a private clinic. There are a few exceptions, but generally it is to make more money than you could working for the public. But the hope, at least my hope, is that doctors still maintain a sense of their deeper and primary duty to patients, rather than just seeing them as income generators.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Tue 03-Dec-19 00:05:50

I'm sure the notes were on trying to find vulnerabilities that he can use against former patients if and when they sue him.

RedHoodGirl Tue 03-Dec-19 00:13:26

Maybe he went to discover more about detransitioners? After all, the event was advertised as being open to everyone.

RagingBall Tue 03-Dec-19 00:30:00

Maybe he did. But his general demeanour didn't give the impression of sympathy or concern. I'd like to be wrong though.

DuMondeB Tue 03-Dec-19 01:24:03

If you were there to learn, surely you would applaud those sharing their personal experiences for you to learn from?

The panel of detransitioned women received a standing ovation from everyone present except Lorimer and his row of friends/acquaintances/colleagues.

They left while the applause happened.

BeardedVulture Tue 03-Dec-19 06:14:37

Lorimer said at that We’re Still Here conference that ROGD was “evidence free”.

He was also one of the doctors who wrote to the regulatory body about Helen Webberley’s GenderGP business. I wonder if it wasn’t so much about concern as it was about removing a competitor in a niche field of private medicine.

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Dec-19 06:54:24

An unintended outcome of the event; shedding light on active harm by Drs.

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Dec-19 06:58:24

Michele Moore has described anorexic patients being then diagnosed with GD and then being put on that pathway, clinicians saying that this this the cause of their issues and if treated, the anorexia will go. But then yp are left with a gd diagnosis, still anorexic, and no treatment for the anorexia. And treatment for that becomes incredibly hard when they're not under children's services.

ThePurported Tue 03-Dec-19 07:05:27

He is clearly quite, um, entrepreneurial. Maybe he is planning a move into detransitioning services?

TransWolf Tue 03-Dec-19 07:30:16

I’m struggling to understand some of the pile on about Dr Lorimer going on in here.

Firstly I’m a bit confused with the “furious” scribbling down of notes - I feel that’s quite a emotive statement to be making when someone may have just been concentrating.

As for not applauding if someone is in a capacity to listen then it’s often better that they maintain a neutral stance.

I transitioned (from female to male) a number of years ago and did see him when I was having GIC (Gender Identity Clinic) appointments and I have to say he’s lovely.

Also he only sees adults in any of his clinics. The process for me to have hormones took a long time - around 2 years.

He was very good to talk to, great listener and was someone I’d feel pleased to see. I also (as part of NHS system) saw other doctors too but I felt I had the best rapport with him.

I feel that without having the benefit of meeting him, some of the assumptions being made about him are inaccurate and positioning him to be something he isn’t because he stands for something that people aren’t in support of.

I personally am uncomfortable seeing a thread that is praising Posie Parker given that she seems to have links with far right groups and commentators and I don’t seem to see anyone having an issue with that (well on here anyway)

OneEpisode Tue 03-Dec-19 07:42:41

Hi Transwolf thank you for coming to share your experience. How many appointments did you have with Dr Lorrimer before he was ready to prescribe T?

TinselAngel Tue 03-Dec-19 07:52:28

Hi'*Transwolf*, great to have somebody with RL experience here. What attempts were made by Dr Lorimer to explore alternative pathways with you, that wouldn't require a life time of medication and surgery? Does he suggest any therapy?

drspouse Tue 03-Dec-19 08:06:44

Another question for Transwolf, were all other mental health diagnoses ruled out before diagnosing gender dysphoria as per WPATH guidelines?
Had you decided or worked out you had gender dysphoria before you saw a clinician?

KatvonHostileExtremist Tue 03-Dec-19 08:11:29

Me too! Hi transwolf
Did you chat to other trans people prior to meeting dr SL about what to say in the consultation?

TransWolf Tue 03-Dec-19 08:33:41

Good Morning

Thanks for the welcome. I do like to talk and would be happy to do so here.

Dr Lorimer wasn’t my prescribing doctor for testosterone as I’d already started it when I started seeing him.

I’ve been on a relatively low dose of Testosterone for around 7 years now and only side effects is a lower voice, facial hair and a widows peak.

For context by the time I started using a GIC I was 4 years into transition and 2 months on hormones. I started transitioning when I was 25 and now I am 35.

Dr Lorimer’s only comments on my hormone usage was to make sure I had regular endocrinology check-ups which I would also have when at the clinic.

He definitely never pushed anything onto me if that’s what’s being implied. He also very much focussed on my well being and was someone I felt I could speak to.

I wanted to have a mastectomy not a Phalloplasty. He showed no opinion on this or what I should have but listened and answered any questions I had about either procedure as naturally I did have some.

At that time I was also navigating some of the complexities of being someone who was previously a gold star lesbian to now identifying as male but didn’t feel I was a straight male I think having someone LGB to talk to in my case was very helpful as people don’t transition necessarily to change sexual orientation but it does evolve when you do transition.

For example since taking hormones I do have attraction to men that I didn’t have before but I think there is something about me that is inherently not straight at all.

I kept being told by some lesbians that it would be better if I was butch but the thing was I was never butch and I have nothing against it but it wasn’t me.

In many ways I’d have had an easy life if I would have been able to continue living in my previous life but I was absolutely miserable and it wasn’t me. I do feel happy now as I have the life I want but I’m also really glad I took my time.

A lot of our sessions we had together (I met him in total 5 times over a 3 year period) were very open discussions. On producing evidence that i’d changed my name and bank slips and payslips etc he did write a letter so I could get a new passport with male

I also broached the subject of wanting a GRC (Gender Recognition Certificate) and he was happy to write a letter that I needed for the application but then I decided not to have one as in principle I didn’t agree with the process nor have I needed one but for some people it is important and in certain industries such as military you need one in order to transition at work.

He was a great doctor to have. For clarity as I’ve seen in other places some conflation (not necessarily here) but he only works with adults, and isn’t someone who pushes any agendas or prescribes a particular narrative.

From my experience I would say he would only start hormone treatment/ surgery referrals if it’s what a patient wants and also is ready for. He wouldn’t rubber stamp stuff if someone was unsure or at risk.

He does focus a lot on the wellbeing of a person.

There are people who complain he won’t do things quickly enough so I feel in some ways he can’t win whatever he does.

I am aware he represents something that people don’t feel comfortable with but for people who have wanted support from him and required a gender doctor he is one of the best.

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Dec-19 08:47:09

Thank you transwolf for your experiences.

I feel it's important to note you were 25. Most of the issues discussed here and objections to the ideology are around the medical transition of children and teens, given the human brain is still developing till around 25.

I'm glad to note he only treats adults. Perhaps his issue with dr Webberly?

Hopefully he is able to be open minded enough to now realise detransitioners do exist.

drspouse Tue 03-Dec-19 08:52:49

I also suspect that being 35 now you are not likely to have been influenced by social media in the way that deeply concerns many of us WRT today's teenagers and very young adults (who he will be seeing).

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Dec-19 08:53:20

Could you elaborate on what a 'gold star lesbian' means please?

ThePurported Tue 03-Dec-19 08:54:32

As for not applauding if someone is in a capacity to listen then it’s often better that they maintain a neutral stance.

I agree, actually, and I really hope Dr Lorimer is listening. He has been strangely incurious about issues like ROGD until now.

Kit19 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:04:15

Thank you for sharing that @TransWolf you didn’t have to & it’s appreciated. You sound content with where you are at & that’s great.

I work in a field where patient experiences are used a lot & it’s hard to get up & share in front of a room full of people. Whether Dr Lorimer agreed or not with what these women were saying, he should appreciate their willingness to share what are clearly deeply painful experiences on a human level. To not applaud the fact they have opened themselves up to public scrutiny when they didn't have too have seems pretty off to me, it’s basic manners apart from anything.

TheNameGames Tue 03-Dec-19 09:06:44

Gold star lesbian / gold star gay = someone who has never had sex with the opposite sex.. or, as the most of people like to refer to it as = lesbian/gay

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »