Talk

Advanced search

Twitter censoring women. Is this political interference?

(20 Posts)
MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 13:17:43

The Conservative Women's Pledge have been trying to get their petition under the noses of every Conservative candidate. It was gathering over 100 signatures a day and building, when signatures suddenly ground to a halt.
They were using Twitter to contact every candidate but now the account is basically invisible.
This cannot be right; some women, Conservative party members, are trying to bring an important issue to the notice of their parliamentary candidates and they are being silenced.
See the screenshots. The second image shows what I see when I look at a reply to a @CUPWomensPledge tweet; the reply shows, their original tweet is just not there; it just says 'this tweet is unavailable'. It isn't, if you go to their timeline you can see it. WTAF is going on? This can't be legal, can it? I know Twitter are censoring GC women but this seems a step further.

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 13:22:21

WTAF is going on? This can't be legal, can it? I know Twitter are censoring GC women but this seems a step further

MrsSnippy, that’s fricking outrageous. To do this a couple of weeks before the election? What’s the motive? It’s censorship and political manipulation. Who is doing it? I hope Conservative Central Office are aware of this. And thank you for posting this

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 13:53:56

Well I know they have been tweeting Conservative HQ, but of course they won't have seen it! I expect an email has been sent too.

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 14:05:44

MrsSnippy, what does mean the tweet is invisible? Is this done by Twitter itself?

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 14:06:15

What does deboosting mean it should have said

stumbledin Mon 02-Dec-19 14:10:14

I'm not of twitter but wondered if this has happened to other women's pledges. Do you know?

And if the Conservative women have any sense they will get on facebook which has a far wider number of users, majority of whom are women!

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 14:23:44

What Twitter is doing is basically making their tweets invisible by various means.

As far as I know stumbledin it has NOT happened to the other pledges.

As to getting on Facebook, they are posting links on politics pages but it isn't really effective; the key thing they are trying to do is to get the pledge under the noses of the candidates, and whilst finding their Twitter handles is pretty straightforward, finding their Facebook pages is rather more time consuming.

I know it is being worked on, but it is a small number of women doing this in their free time. I just think it is utterly unacceptable for a social media company to prevent women communicating with their parliamentary candidates!

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 14:33:40

I just think it is utterly unacceptable for a social media company to prevent women communicating with their parliamentary candidates!

It’s quite incredible. Interference which seems politically motivated two weeks before an election to prevent women communicating with their Conservative candidate on an issue which is of definitional significance to women.

stumbledin Mon 02-Dec-19 15:04:10

Why I asked about other pledges is whether in fact it has been deboosted because Tory HQ dont want any contraversy (spelling?!) and reported them.

If it was twitter somehow implementing there non political bias during an election period then all of them should be deboosted.

Also surprised if candidates only have twitter. As I say there is a bigger audience on facebook and would think local constituency parties would have one.

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 15:12:56

because Tory HQ dont want any controversy

I think that’s unlikely. They should be actively pushing the fact they opposed to self ID. It will only alienate people who would never vote for them anyway and it might encourage women sick of the other parties’ loopy position on this to vote Tory....

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 15:32:08

Candidates don't only have Twitter.

Twitter is just the fastest way to contact the vast majority of candidates, an avenue that is now denied to Conservative women (or indeed any woman who wants to know what her Conservative candidate thinks about Self ID etc)

Try looking for candidates or their constituency pages on Facebook and see how long it takes to find them. Twitter is MUCH faster for finding people, and a quick way to communicate with multiple people at once.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 02-Dec-19 15:47:28

If it was twitter somehow implementing there non political bias during an election period then all of them should be

Political bias is not just about parties, it is also about policies.

Michelleoftheresistance Mon 02-Dec-19 15:49:44

The Conservative party should also be asking themselves what else has been quietly deboosted and by whom, and just hasn't been noticed yet?

BovaryX Mon 02-Dec-19 15:54:00

or indeed any woman who wants to know what her Conservative candidate thinks about Self ID etc)

That’s an interesting motive, isn’t it?

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 16:53:40

All very good points Birds, Michelle and Bovary

stumbledin Mon 02-Dec-19 19:31:36

I must admit I was mainly thinking in terms of getting more signatures for the petition ie however you contact prospective candidates if they look at the petition and just see a few hunderd they are going to ignore what you are saying.

And it may appear you can contact more people more easily on twitter but the reality is twitter in not used by the majority of the population. It is because a lazy mainstream media uses it to create click bait stories for their papers that it appears influential.

If you actually want to reach a larger number of people you need to go to the wider used social media platforms.

The hope that somehow MSM will pick up a feminist issue because it is on twitter is as likely as MSM picking up a feminist issue from any source. Virtually nil.

Maybe what we should all be doing on whichever social media or e-platform we are on is share the links to all the different party women's pledges to not just raise awareness that women in parties are challenging the trans capture of their party, but to get signatures and aks questions of candidates.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 02-Dec-19 19:44:37

I have not seen this specifically, but I do seem to frequently get “this tweet is unavailable “ .
My MP is Conservative, so this is pretty important.

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 19:56:40

I do see your points stumbledin however:

This was a Twitter campaign.
All the other petitions are running Twitter campaigns.
The only petition being actively censored and hidden is the Conservative women’s pledge.

It doesn’t matter what other avenues the Conservative women are using, the fact remains, the Conservative Women’s Pledge is being hidden by Twitter, a petition instigated by grass roots Conservative women is being shut down before it can even get off the ground.

During the first 48 hours a few candidates actually followed the account, the momentum was building, then all of a sudden; nothing.

If people don’t think that is a worrying development then I think we have truly entered the upside down.

MrsSnippyPants Mon 02-Dec-19 19:58:51

None of the other Twitter accounts associated with petitions are having this problem. Why is the Conservative Women’s Pledge such a threat that Twitter felt a need to censor it?

MrsSnippyPants Tue 03-Dec-19 09:21:27

Seems to be a slight improvement this morning. Maybe someone tweaked an algorithm somewhere?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »