Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with ds (6)

(33 Posts)
CookingProblem Mon 02-Dec-19 09:16:46

Can anyone give me some advice on how to bring up my DS as a feminist? It's really hard when I explain something to him but he goes to school and his friends tell him another. We live in a village where it is very closed minded. Someone coming out gay is a big deal and casual racism is just the norm. (just to give you an idea of the place) He is in year 2 now and I'm finding it harder to stop him being influenced at school. Sorry I'm not explaining this very well. I also have an 8 year old dd who seems to just 'get it'.

BertrandRussell Mon 02-Dec-19 13:29:45

I’m sorry to have been chippy. I just get so cross about men being given a free pass with this sort of thing. And I am a bit miffed that my earlier post on the subject has been so comprehensively ignored! grin

Campbellk Mon 02-Dec-19 13:55:15

@BertrandRussell 😉 not our Dad... our father is a narcissist.
Which is why as women we are the foundation of how our boys will treat the woman of the future. My boys love and respect me, but I do not do everything for them.
When we had our boys it was my husband who had them on his side of the bed, because I had a c section and I couldn’t lift them up. So he did it. He if as involved as I am.
I can not take credit for it all

aliasundercover Mon 02-Dec-19 13:55:21

I actually missed your earlier post, which I've now read. I think you are saying what I wanted to say, and much better than I did smile

ShesDressedInBlackAgain Mon 02-Dec-19 18:02:45

My dad is much more of a feminist than my mum. I think that has had a really profound effect on me now I think about it. And dh is definitely an ally.

It's great that this thread has focused on what men can do to raise their children to be feminists. Makes such a change from all the 'read this/do this/say this' that actually creates more work for women. (And which I'm just as guilty of as anyone - just musing, not blaming)

ShesDressedInBlackAgain Mon 02-Dec-19 18:03:43

And I never ignore you Bertrand grin

StillWeRise Mon 02-Dec-19 18:09:42

presumably you have supplied him with a wide range of toys ?
I always found incredulity a good tool
'what??? johnny said girls can't be astronauts? what a silly! does he think you use your willy to fly a plane? dear oh dear...'

StillWeRise Mon 02-Dec-19 18:10:22

...that should be a rocket, obvs!

alittleprivacy Tue 03-Dec-19 07:44:58

When my son got into superheroes I made sure to always get him the female characters as well as the male. So he was never getting Batman and Robin if he wasn't also getting Batwoman and Batgirl. He didn't get Spider-man without getting Spider-woman, etc. There is no Batman and Superman poster on his wall, there is a framed Justice League jigsaw with 4 male and 4 female characters on it. I used to cherry pick the cartoons he watched and books we read to make sure we mainly watched ones with the women being every bit as useful as the men and not damsels in distress.

It used to be extremely difficult to source figures, books, cartoons, etc but in the last 3 years that's changed an awful lot for the better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »