Talk

Advanced search

Graham Linehan's speech. Worth sharing.

(56 Posts)
marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 02-Dec-19 09:12:04

https://glinner.co.uk/the-emperor-has-no-clothes-and-you-should-mention-it/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

CranberriesChoccy Wed 04-Dec-19 21:23:49

It reinforces the stereotype that women should always be kind, gentle, inclusive, but most of all submissive. Don't make the man feel uncomfortable, whatever you do! But it makes women uncomfortable? Oh that's ok then. Fuck that. It's the men who need this tolerance training.

Ereshkigal Wed 04-Dec-19 16:07:56

It's a dominance display.

AutumnRose1 Wed 04-Dec-19 14:23:28

I’ve seen similar to the Oxford toilet sign in a few places.

DodoPatrol Tue 03-Dec-19 22:30:31

Even if no transwoman ever committed any crime, that sign would be wrongheaded.

Trans women are at most 0.5% of the population, but sex offenders are two a penny. If you see an obvious bloke in the ladies, the odds are surely higher that it’s a dodgy bloke than a transwoman.

MarieIVanArkleStinks Tue 03-Dec-19 21:30:46

Re. the toilet wall sign. It would be interesting to know if there's an identical sign in the men's. If not, the women's one should be unceremonially removed and dumped in there instead.

I don't belong to the biological sex which crime statistics overwhelmingly indicate are responsible for harming other people. Yet protecting others from harm is deemed women's collected burden. It's rank, institutional, deeply ideological and socially-ingrained misogyny, of the kind that thinks the sky will fall in if responsibility is placed firmly back with the demographic that owns it in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, the owners of said instructional loo facilities can take their diktat and piss it up a rope. What about protecting ME and other women from harm: a radical concept they've conveniently neglected to consider?

Ereshkigal Tue 03-Dec-19 20:18:30

Yes, I have no respect whatsoever for comedians who don't see the absurdity of the trans agenda.

Datun Tue 03-Dec-19 20:12:30

I like that he's coming at this from the point of view of a comedy writer.

He's quite right, your comedy suffers, if reality becomes ridiculous. And ludicrous situations become unsayable or you are compelled to take them seriously.

It is insane. I'm hoping the tide is turning. I feel as though it is.

marvellousnightforamooncup Tue 03-Dec-19 19:28:57

That video is great.

marvellousnightforamooncup Tue 03-Dec-19 19:23:36

I've been educating Mr Marvellous with this article. His jaw was on the floor. I've been reading mumsnet for years and quietly seething, seems I've forgotten to share with him. I think Linehan sums it up quite well.

NotTonightJosepheen Tue 03-Dec-19 12:08:12

She was. grin

Trewser Tue 03-Dec-19 09:31:31

That Magdelene Burns video is hilarious. She was amazing.

ChattyLion Tue 03-Dec-19 09:25:20

flowers Magdalen

ThePurported Tue 03-Dec-19 08:18:50

Excellent.
How the hell did we get here??

"As I often say to my long-suffering wife, it’s impossible for me to write comedy when a man with a beard here in the UK—just a normal forty something bloke with a beard and eyeshadow—goes into schools, as a representative of Stonewall, and tells a bunch of puzzled kids that he’s a lesbian."

Magdalen Berns on the individual in question 'transplaining fixing cars to women':
youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=JkK7zisjoDk

ChattyLion Tue 03-Dec-19 08:13:32

Thank you Glinner great speech. It’s not about privacy, dignity for women (only) it’s also about our physical safety. And about not having our language for ourselves coerced.

teawamutu Tue 03-Dec-19 07:14:46

Bloody hell it's good. Thank you mooncup and Glinner.

Savingforarainyday Tue 03-Dec-19 07:03:24

Brilliant article

NonnyMouse1337 Tue 03-Dec-19 06:45:22

Yes, the left are just as capable of authoritarianism as the right.
Far right and far left have a lot in common because the more extreme your ideology, the more you require authoritarian tactics to get people to accept your ideas and suppress dissent and criticism.

Any kind of ideology taken to its extreme will generate similar methods for controlling people under it. Humans are not that different from each other once you strip away political and religious leanings. We are influenced in the same way. The left isn't the paragon of virtue it likes to paint itself.

It is the duty of the moderates, the ones in the middle, to reign in the extremist ends of the political spectrum and reject those who promise utopia under their vision of far left or far right ideologies.

Milanimilani Tue 03-Dec-19 06:28:42

Look up the horseshoe theory of politics if you are wondering why the left is more authoritarian. Or if you can’t be bothered, think of Stalinism, Maoism, Cuba...

Clymene Mon 02-Dec-19 19:28:17

And weirdly we are in a situation where the left is way, way more authoritarian that the right.

As someone pointed out on another thread, Thatcherite identity politics have been enthusiastically embraced by the left who are too young to remember her dismantling of society.

The kids have been hoodwinked and they won't realise it until it's too late

Clymene Mon 02-Dec-19 19:24:08

The enthusiasm with which TRAs throw women's rights down the river still amazes me. Scratch the surface, find a misogynist I guess

ThePonderer Mon 02-Dec-19 19:14:48

Another notable thing about that sign: it says 'Everyone has every right to be here'.

I had to show ID to access the building where I saw that sign, and be met at reception by my contact there.

They don't just let everybody into the building, and they certainly don't just let everybody who applies into Oxford University. They are quite happy to exclude people for all kinds of reasons - some fairer than others - but women being uncomfortable isn't one of them.

AFairlyHardAvocado Mon 02-Dec-19 17:36:47

Fucking hell @Ereshkigal that's unbelievable!!! Thank you for sharing it's so important that this madness is shared in public forums.

So just to be clear:

If someone enters a toilet and as a woman I feel uncomfortable, I am not allowed to challenge them or "make them feel uncomfortable". I am also not allowed to remove myself from the situation.

I cannot understand how it has come to this. All that hard work inspirational women and girls have gone through to fight for equal rights. All that sacrifice. All that pain.

And now I'm not allowed to walk away if I'm uncomfortable. They'd rather I was in what used to be MY safe space, feeling scared and threatened.

NotTonightJosepheen Mon 02-Dec-19 17:15:05

Winced a bit at the use of the word ‘lezzer’ though to describe Martina Navratilova?

Me too.

Otherwise, a great speech.

Ereshkigal Mon 02-Dec-19 16:01:24

Another example: a civil service training session where a supposedly real example used is of a woman walking into toilets, seeing an MTF trans person and walking straight out again. Not allowed.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3520371-civil-service-trans-policy-what-can-i-do

Ereshkigal Mon 02-Dec-19 15:58:51

I know, that particular sign gives me the utter rage. Expecting women not to react at all when their boundaries are violated is really oppressive and controlling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »