Talk

Advanced search

Accused of cherry-picking trans horror stories

(110 Posts)
PuertoVallarta Mon 02-Dec-19 05:42:59

How do you deal with people who say that pointing out transgressions by individual transwomen is like combing the news for examples of immigrants behaving badly?

I do understand this particular criticism of GC talking points.

I am quite vocal about this issue in my daily life. But sometimes I feel caught between a rock and a hard place:

“That never happens.”

“Well, Karen White...”

“You’re just picking isolated examples to paint a whole segment of the population as villains. You’re as bad as Trump in America.”

I don’t want to sound insane and obsessed as I keep rattling on, “Well, this happened, too! And another transwoman did this! And another did that!”

Heeeeeeelp meeeeeee?

PurpleCrowbar Mon 02-Dec-19 19:11:58

I'm in full agreement on all those red lines, btw.

But I think the prison one is in extra bold, permanent marker with a red 3D printer fence.

Inebriati Mon 02-Dec-19 19:14:24

If your response to violence against women is 'cherry picking' or 'you are discriminating' or 'NAMALT' or 'not all trans', instead of 'what can we do to help women stay safe and participate in society; then you are a misogynist enabling violence against women.

RuffleCrow Mon 02-Dec-19 19:59:28

Tell them men are in the news regularly for all the same crimes (strangely enough). does your accuser think it has to be all men who do these things before women and children deserve basic safeguarding?! shock

Datun Mon 02-Dec-19 20:08:19

It's a nonsense argument. Some men want to predate on you, get over it for the sake of other mens feelings.

Fieldofgreycorn Mon 02-Dec-19 23:20:15

Some of those ‘male people’ as you describe them have a legal right to be recognised as females. Vice versa with trans men.

merrymouse Mon 02-Dec-19 23:34:24

Some of those ‘male people’ as you describe them have a legal right to be recognised as females.

Self ID gives all male bodied people the right to be recognised as females.

PurpleCrowbar Mon 02-Dec-19 23:37:17

& sex based exemptions are provided for, so let's not assume that we need to be banged up with 'legal females' with quite such resignation, shall we?

As for the vice versa, transmen are generally housed in the female estate. There's minimal appetite for housing them with men, because common sense.

Goosefoot Mon 02-Dec-19 23:41:23

As for the vice versa, transmen are generally housed in the female estate. There's minimal appetite for housing them with men, because common sense.

This. No one thinks this is a good idea. No one argues we should stick females who have been taking testosterone and use male pronouns in men's prisons. It might be that the reasons that is obviously a terrible idea also apply the other way.

SetYourselfOnFire Tue 03-Dec-19 00:18:57

I think if trans people and their allies actually believed what they were selling, they would be collecting these statistics and bragging about the data proving them right.

Feminazi53 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:23:17

Here's a stat. Please double-check if you doubt it as I got off a twitter comment.

Since the year 2000 in the UK, there have been 4 trans people murdered. One of these was a trans person murdering another trans person.

In the same time span, 22 transwomen have murdered, one trans man has murdered.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »