Talk

Advanced search

Feminist books for teen DD

(10 Posts)
QueenArseClangers Sun 01-Dec-19 21:15:15

DD is 14 and pretty clued up. We’re looking for books feminism that’d be suitable for her that are accessible.
Really proud of the young woman she is, she’s aware of the patriarchy and tries to battle against it in small ways every day smile
She even says ‘LGB’ (no T) so some of my rants must’ve stuck grin

cwg1 Mon 02-Dec-19 14:22:02

Well - I'm not an expert but love a good book, particularly women's history.

I have to say that recent books are depressing sad

DP (genuinely trying to cheer me up from all this) bought me Dorling Kindersley's Women - Our Story. Beautiful, lovely illustrations and, tbf, mostly knows what a woman is. The last bit... Lili Elbe was a woman...

Also DK The Feminism Book. Worse. Also, I liked the writing style much less - for me, it was very dry.

They also have Feminism is. I've only read the sample - very pacey and readable, but again, doesn't look good on trans.

I had a rant on the new ed of The Women's Atlas recently. I've since gone back, and should say, that for the most part, it's talking about those boring old bio women. Well-written, and such a classic. So, I'd say a good read with a bit of caution.

Virago? To be blunt, I could weep. I Call Myself A Feminist, 25 Women Under 30. Don't.

Jenni Murray's two history books. I have the world one. Fairly slight, but very engaging, I think they'd be very good for a bookish teen and, of course, she knows what a woman is.

Good luck!

BingBongSong Mon 02-Dec-19 14:33:52

I lent Kat Banyard's "The Equality Illusion" to the fledgling feminist society in my school. They were very polite and said it was all a bit obvious! They never gave me my book back though!

Itsallgonetoofar Mon 02-Dec-19 14:59:16

Invisible Women

Prepare for her to get angry...

flintyminty Mon 02-Dec-19 21:56:19

Two books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

We Should all be Feminists (essay based on her Tedtalk)
(apparently was distributed to all 16 year olds in Sweden)

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions

Both short but cover a lot of ground

Chimamanda has also taken some flak for "wrong speak"

parietal Mon 02-Dec-19 22:04:56

amightygirl.com has recommendations, though they may be for younger kids and rather US oriented.

SirVixofVixHall Mon 02-Dec-19 23:21:20

My dd , also 14, was furious reading Invisible Women, so I second that !

QueenArseClangers Tue 03-Dec-19 23:31:19

Thanks all. I wish we could bottle the righteous fury of a fourteen year old and the clarity with which they can see the obvious injustices.

PlanDeRaccordement Wed 04-Dec-19 06:05:35

I started with history of feminism first. I felt it was important my daughters know the lived experiences of women centuries ago in order to appreciate that feminism is a light that must be passed on generation to generation.

So, Mary Wollstonecraft’s books- vindication of the rights of women, education of daughters. (Her daughter was Mary Shelley who wrote the first ever science fiction book Frankenstein)

The second sex by Simone de Beauvoir

The feminine mystique by Betty Friedan

Woman by Margaret Fuller

A room of ones own, Virginia Woolf

Herland by Charlotte Gilman- a 1915 utopia of a world with no men.

The female ennuch by germaine Greer

The beauty myth by Naomi Wolf

Bad feminist by Roxane gray (more recent but good to show divergent aspect of feminism today)

Mangapps Wed 04-Dec-19 17:52:20

Cordelia Fine - Delusions of Gender and Testosterone Rex

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »